What type of clown?

rufus2008

Looking for advice on what particular clown to buy for my haddoni carpet. It has to date eaten/killed 7 if my fish. So my last ditch effort to keep the carpet is to find the "right" clowns to host and hopefully chase away my remaining fish in my tank. Here's the carpet
0adcb5c419cdb88165329ebbe72886f8.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

cracker

Man That animal is beautiful ! Maybe if You stuffed it with silversides it might leave everybody else alone?

rufus2008

It gets fed regularly with frozen raw shrimp but it's very opportunistic if a fish touches it it's eaten. I added two convict blennies and in 12 hours it ate both!

Oxylebius

Yes, beautiful and dangerous. Make sure it has been ID'd correctly as a S. haddoni.

You have to be very careful what clownfish you choose, as it can and will eat some types of clownfish. I'd recommend doing a lot of research on these species of clownfish before you buy any. Make sure that they are compatible. The internet can have some contradictory information, so the more research you do the better off you will be with making a decision (don't go with info on the first site you come across).

Species of clowns to research are:
A. akindynos
A. chrysogaster
A. chrysopterus
A. clarkia
A. fuscocaudatus
A. polymnus
A. sebae
A. xanthurus
Dascyllus trimaculatus

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/the-carpet-anemones.htm
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_3/capranem.html
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/carpetanemones.htm
Articles by Bob Fenner are ones I'd pay particular attn to.

rufus2008

It is a haddoni because it has a brown mouth and is sand dwelling. I did buy the skunks and they first went into a bta grrr. Then when the main lights shut down and only the blues were on my 4 ocellaris clowns went berserk and chased the skunks relentlessly[emoji33] I thought for sure they would be gonners. But my husband called me at work a few minutes ago and said he see's one of them in my ricordia (which is right above the carpet). So no luck yet but maybe.....

rufus2008

The skunks were the only ones available locally that "might" host the haddoni. I wanted Clarkii's but no such luck on PEI.

rufus2008

Well I decided to get the carpet out of my display and it wasn't as difficult as I imagined. It is now in my quarantine tank (30 gallon) until I can sell or trade it for something else :)

silver97

I don't blame you there. You shouldn't have much trouble getting rid of one that seems to be in that great of a shape and size.
My cousin said he once had one of those in a 300 gallon of his, and in 3 weeks it had taken a huge chunk out of his stock. It ate almost all of his damsels, chromis and a few of his clowns. And he had big schools of them. Well, the damsels and chromis at least. It ate 4 clowns, of which he had 7 I think. The bigger more expensive tangs luckily stayed away but he said he probably lost around $250 worth of fish because of it.