What should I do with my flamehawk?

Pat24601

This is going to be a silly question, but it’s something I don’t have a lot of experience with.

I love flamehawk fish. In my previous tank, the one I had had so much personality he was amazing to watch.

However, on my current tank, my flamehawk appears to be very shy. He spent about a month or so in my display tank and the last 6 weeks in a nano tank. The entire time I’ve had him, in either tank, he’s basically stayed hidden in the rocks. I pretty much never see him except to eat and even then he jumps out and jumps right back in the rocks.

I’m trying to figure out what to do with him. I don’t really want to put him in my display if he’s just going to hide in rocks. I’d rather get some shrimp. I could just leave him in the nano he’s in. It’s not really hurting anything there, but I was going to take down the nano once my main was back up and running (which it now is). Or I could take him back to my LFS.

What are opinions? If I put him back in my DT do you think he’ll grow out of his shyness? If not, I’ll have to choose between nano and LFS, I guess.

Last edited:

DaveK

Hawks are one of my favorite type of fish. I wouldn't do anything special. Put him in the display tank, give him plenty of places to hide, and in time the fish should become a lot less timid. This can take awhile. Hawks are not fast powerful swimmers, and in the wild always need to worry about something bigger eating them.

One other consideration, hawks love to eat shrimp and similar items. If you want shrimp, the hawk may need to go. Otherwise your hawk will thank you for the lovely and expensive treat.

Pat24601

Hawks are one of my favorite type of fish. I wouldn't do anything special. Put him in the display tank, give him plenty of places to hide, and in time the fish should become a lot less timid. This can take awhile. Hawks are not fast powerful swimmers, and in the wild always need to worry about something bigger eating them.

One other consideration, hawks love to eat shrimp and similar items. If you want shrimp, the hawk may need to go. Otherwise your hawk will thank you for the lovely and expensive treat.

Thanks @DaveK ! Exactly what I needed to know.

Oxylebius

Perhaps the issue with shyness is that it is the only fish in these tanks of yours. Fish will tend to come out from hiding when they see other fish out and about on a reef. If one fish spooks and hide all the other fish in the vicinity on the reef do the same. This behavior is seen in the wild all the time. With just one fish in your tank, it isn't sure if it is safe to come out. With other fish in the tank moving out and about can encourage skiddish fish that it is also safe for them to come out as well. Not saying this is exactly what is happening in your case as I'm not there witnessing it in person, but it is absolutely a possibility.

Pat24601

Perhaps the issue with shyness is that it is the only fish in these tanks of yours. Fish will tend to come out from hiding when they see other fish out and about on a reef. If one fish spooks and hide all the other fish in the vicinity on the reef do the same. This behavior is seen in the wild all the time. With just one fish in your tank, it isn't sure if it is safe to come out. With other fish in the tank moving out and about can encourage skiddish fish that it is also safe for them to come out as well. Not saying this is exactly what is happening in your case as I'm not there witnessing it in person, but it is absolutely a possibility.

This could very easily be the case as he has been by himself for the most part. Thanks for the heads up.