What kind of algae is this??

Hi there! I have this strange algae I can't get rid of and can't seem to find pictures of it anywhere. Anyone ever see it, know what its called, or how to get rid of it??

It's bright bright green, very very slimey/gooey (almost like jelly or jam), and produces gas bubbles underneath the algae. If I try to scrape the algae off the rock, the bubbles float to the top. The algae comes back in the same spot the next day.

5335520751_d004a57701_b.jpg

cbrownfish

Yep, it is green cyano (BGA). This particular strain is a bit tougher to manually remove than the reddish strains. I recommend manually removing with a toothbrush and using a turkey baster to blast organics off your rocks.

so its the same as the red strain I have all over my sand? Just a different variety of cyano?
I've tried manually removing it many times and it just comes back! This stuff is tough!
I've been thinking of putting this particular rock in my sump for a while with no light. Maybe that would kill the algae? But it worries me because this rock also has lots of fan worms, tunicates, coraline, etc. I don't want to kill any of that stuff.

I'm trying to think of something I could use to cover just that area on the rock to keep light out, but so far I'm at a loss.

Any other thoughts/suggestions?? Thanks so much for your help!!! :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
From the link in post #3, on the blue/green cyano:

Removal: This stuff is difficult to get rid of, but can be done if you persevere. Capable of surviving in low to zero light and without nitrates, it only needs phosphates in your tank to feed off of. You can prevent it by utilizing mangroves and macroalgae that will reduce the phosphates in your tank and prevent it from forming. If you have a break out and are trying to deal with an established problem, then you should consider adding a chemical phosphate removal system to kill it. The setup, (you need a phosban reactor and a filter media), may run you up to $75, before tubing and getting your tank setup going. Increase flow to dead spots.

Based on that lack of light may not kill it off.