What is your favorite method of dosing Calcium and Alkalinity?

What is your favorite method of dosing Calcium and Alkalinity

• Waterchanges

Votes: 43 31.6%
  • Kalk

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • Kalk with Vinegar

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • B-Ionic Two Parters (and similar brands)

Votes: 39 28.7%
  • Powders like Seachem (and similar brands)

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Calcium reactor plus Kalk

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Calcium reactor alone

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • Calcium reactor plus Nilson reactor

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • Nilson reactor alone

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other (please describe by posting)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Pickling Lime

Votes: 10 7.4%

• Total voters

Curtswearing

There are so many ways to replace Calcium and Alkalinity. I was curious what method you use.

PS...you can vote on more than one method.

Last edited:

fidojoe

Fish Addict
Dang, only 36-50 ppt! AZ averages 800!!!

Isn't a nilson reactor the same as a kalk reactor, or am I missing something?

Curtswearing

Yes Joe, a Nilsen reactor is a Kalk reactor vs a Calcium reactor. In Missouri, our TDS ranges from 350 to 450 unless you are on a well.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
My tap water is around 80-90 ppt...not too bad.

I selected Kalk before I saw the pickiling option... I use Mrs Wages :)

Very timely poll Curt. Im reading and getting more and more confused with all the methods. Right now Im leaning towards a Litermeter 3 dosing pump with a home made tank of pickling lime and RO/DI water. The alternative, (I think ) is to use whats known to me as a Nielsen reactor as the tank,still needing a dosing pump. Im thinking that the N/R will hold more additive and keep it mixed but this is really what Im not yet sure of. Anyone wants to pitch in and add to my confusion please feel free! Thanks , Peter

dwall174

Water Change

I will have to say water changes because it seems to be the lease trouble some! I do have a DIY Kalk drip set-up that always gets clogged & I’ve tried the two parts but they can get expensive with a 140 gal system!

Not to mention that with my top-off & water change system (see gallery) All I do to do a 20 gal water change is turn a couple valves! :D

Great link Curt, thanks. Ive determined that since this tank is away from my RO/DI source Ill have to make my kalkwasser remotely and dose it from a 2 or 3 gallon container. Im gonna go with the litermeter for certain and deal with the re-fills. Thanks Peter

mattie

RS Sponsor
i use the 2 chemicasl at the same time.....
i have an auto-topoff switch connected to an airpump with dual output. that then forces liquid out of 2 containers into my sump at the same rate. one container is seachem reef somplete mixed with r.o. an the other is kent suppa buffer with r.o. i have tried everything minus the reactor and this has given me best results for a targeted and stable calcium and Kh while adding some benficial elements too.

mps9506

I use pickling lime for now. All my topoff water is "kalkwasser". Keeps my levels perfect. Hopefully my ca/alk demand will increase as my corals continue growing, at which time I plan on using a Ca reactor, and hopefully will just use the kalk to maintain pH at optimum levels.
That's the plan anyhow, but my plans never turn out as planned, so we will see.

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I have a kalk reactor on my 50, and on the 10 I also dose kalk, but using a ghetto rigged 1 gallon jug with some airline tubing superglued to a hole in the side, and I use a plastic gang valve to control the drip rate.

johnlewis

I am now using a Ca reactor and Nielson and I have a rock solid PH and Alk. I love it very simple to maintain fill my reactor up once a week with make up water.

Spooda420

Geo CA reactor for me, as well as baking soda in the Make up water for WC, as well as (when I remember the ball pickling lime 2-3 times per months)

CA pretty steady at 400ppm and ALK ranges from 9-13 usually closer to 9 all on salifert tests.