what do you add?

ds69

Just out of curiosity what products are people adding to their tanks? Iodine, magnesium Ca, kalwasser etc

Kevin

BoomerD

Moo-Desto? ROFL! me too...
Personally, I've always believed that the pretty-colored bottles should be left at the LFS. If you can't or don't test for a substance, you should not be adding it. Otherwise, how do you know how much your tank actually needs?
MOST trace elements are replenished by doing regular and frequent water changes, which is healthy for your tank anyway.
Calcium and alkalinity buffers may be the only exception to that, but STILL should only be dosed after you test to see how much your tank needs.
Blindly adding iodine is dangerous. The line between "just right" and toxic levels is very fine, and iodine is also replenished via water changes. It can force crustaceans to molt, (not help them as is often touted) because it's how they get RID of excess iodine in their systems.
I've been in the hobby in one way or another for 30 years, and have NEVER found any reason to dose trace elements.
Save your hard-earned fishy $$$ for a new fish or coral...

Snelly40

i have found that when i just do water changes, everything looks great
i add a little liquid calcium to ensure the levels are good

prow

i have a kalk reactor and a Ca+ reactor. plus i do 20% water change everyother week. selcon too not sure if that counts here though.

Witfull

RO spiked with Harm and Ammer (lol) mostly, epsom salts for mg, turbo Ca, and 1-2 drops of iodine between water changes.

john

I add Iodine ,strontium,coralvite 2 times a week and b-ionic every other day.I must be the only one waisting my $ on pretty bottles!! LOL

SueT

kalk at night time and Tech M for mag only when the levels call for it. Kalk. keeps my levels right where they should be.