water pump

strat

what kind of pump does everybody use in their sump as a return to the main tank?? i am setting up a ninety sometime in the future and am trying to get prices on stuff. im planning on a sump underneath the tank. so how many gph etc would i need..?? thanks alot

strat

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I think a lot of people like the mag pumps, and for a 90, if you plan to have powerheads and/or a closed loop, you would want to have anywhere from 500gph to 900gph, if your overflows can handle that much.

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
I run a mag 12 on my 75G. Its quiet and has never had any problems in a year of use. Several of my friends also run mags and all of them are happy with the pumps.
HTH

Dennis7

I use a GenX, MAK4 for my 90gal, 1190 gph at 4 feet. I will be changing to a GenX MAK5 on my 120gal.

wooddood

the wood dude
i run a rio 32 hyperflow and a swcd and am happy with it so far.i know a rio?but the hp's seem to be alot better,it has restarted everytime.

tankgirl

I have two mag18's for my return. They're dry-mounted.
I think you want to aim for 10X per hr you tanks # of gals - that's after subtracting for head height (can't remember what that's called).

strat

thats great, thanks all for your replies.

fidojoe, you said that if i plan to have powerheads and or a closed loop..... as compared to?? i plan on having 3-4 powerheads inside the tank for circulation and detritus stirring etc, and then what, obviously i need a pump from the sump to pump water back into the tank. i still havent taken the time to see how that whole process works, w overflows etc. does anybody have any good links or diagrams to explain this. thanks again everyone..

strat