water change

Ok so my tank is 1 week 4 days old....and yes Im gonna post a new tank thread this week with lots of pics for u guys....

I brought a sample of my water in today....my salinity is 1.020 ..... I wanna do a 10% water change....should I mix it up at around 1.028 to bring up the level or should I do like 1.030? Thanks guys

My water stats so far are...

PH 8.2
KH 7
Density 1.020
Ammonia .25
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
You do NOT need to do a WC (water change) until your tank gets through it's cycle. Plan on at least 6 weeks from adding water & live rock. NO WATER CHANGES YET!
Top off evaporation with saltwater to bring your salinity UP. Up to 1.026 using a REFRACTOMETER (plastic hydrometers are not very reliable). Your ammonia and nitrite levels indicate your tank has not started the cycle it will go through yet. Have you added a raw deli-shrimp to your tank? That's what helped mine along.
You should wait & get other opinions....just don't do WC yet.

anthony27

A million times correct

You do NOT need to do a WC (water change) until your tank gets through it's cycle. Plan on at least 6 weeks from adding water & live rock. NO WATER CHANGES YET

ok. today I picked up a 20 gallon plastic garbage bin from Home Depot. I have 5 gallons in there mixed at 1.026 and a small powerhead circulating it. I can use this to top off evaporation yes? ...... and question....do I need to keep light on this water in the bucket or no? sorry if that was a dumb question.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
1st rule here: there are NO dumb ???s :nono: Any ?? You have is a good one! ;)
No, you do not need a light on your stored water....a lid over it works well. Power head circulation is a plus but not a have to have. YES, as water evaporates add SW to bring up your salinity. Good job picking out a 20gal. for use later....that's what size I use & it works well.
Keep the ???s rolling in as you think of them.
I stayed awake a few nights thinking of ???s so it's not just you. :yup:
WELCOME TO THE ADDICTION like you've probably never knew could be so powerful :D

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
You will want to keep your SG at about 1.024 to 1.026. And it is best to use a refractometer to measure it.
One teeny-tiny micro-bubble can cause a bad reading using a plastic swing-arm hydrometer.
If your in this for the long-haul check this out & put it on your "to get" list. (If you don't have one already)
Refractometer for Reading Salinity with Calibration Fluid
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/refractometer-for-reading-salinity-with-calibration-fluid.html

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
And I didn't think I needed one in the beginning either :yup: but it's been one of my best buys since I got it ;)
Ok, now I'll hush :LOL:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
You can link your thread to your name....
Go to the upper right hand corner of this page & click on
UserCP
Then on the left hand side of UserCP page click on
Edit Profile
Then scroll all the way down an enter the link where it says
add Reef Chronicle
Then it will be on ever post you make right by your name :)

saltfan

Diana is right 1.024-1.026 is good but so ya understand she doesnt mean a swing between those #s stability is key.

So this morning I topped off the evaporation with my ro water that i have circulating in the bucket.
:)

Where do you guys get patience to setup a SW tank. I wanna just throw everything inside and watch it swim around, but I know I can't. I feel like a drug addict ever since I started my SW tank. It's all I can think about is fishtank fishtank fishtank! I try watching tv to take my mind off it, and I end up turning around on the couch and staring at my tank endlessly. Advice?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
YOU ARE NOT ALONE :yup: :yup: Live it, breath it, try to sleep with it....it's a crazy ADDICTION!
RS is group therapy...WELCOME to this crazy addictive hobby. P.S. it only gets worse :yup:

kyle4201

So this morning I topped off the evaporation with my ro water that i have circulating in the bucket.
:)

Where do you guys get patience to setup a SW tank. I wanna just throw everything inside and watch it swim around, but I know I can't. I feel like a drug addict ever since I started my SW tank. It's all I can think about is fishtank fishtank fishtank! I try watching tv to take my mind off it, and I end up turning around on the couch and staring at my tank endlessly. Advice?

U have no idea yet, lol. I built my life on instant gratification,, until I got my 90g. Between not asking questions, joining this site late, 2 refugium builds, the r/o water & mixing syation AND all the money, , Wow! and it's only been 4 months. Lol. Ill b following your chronical. Check mine out if u can. Im always up 4 criticism. :)