UV Sterilizers?

Raf

Who uses them and how effective are they?

How do they work on ich outbreaks?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I use one on my freshwater tank for floating worm things, works really good, never tried it for reef so a:bump: Steve

tbittner

I added one to the SeaChill TR20 chiller I ordered Saturday night. I'm a little worried about that option though because I don't know if I can control how long it is on. I've heard that you don't want to run it all the time because you can actually kill off the "good" bacteria too.

Nervoustime

I have an Aqua UV 25W (with wiper) that I run 24 hours a day on my 90 gallon reef tank. I have the water pumped through the chiller and returned through the UV. It has been working great for me. I have not had any issues with algae, and all of the corals and fish appear very healthy. IMO, it does a great job.

tbittner

ahhhhh, great! Thanks for the feedback! I feel better now. I just can't wait to get it though and now would be a perfect time as I'm getting ready to plumb this contraption I'm building.

mps9506

I added one to the SeaChill TR20 chiller I ordered Saturday night. I'm a little worried about that option though because I don't know if I can control how long it is on. I've heard that you don't want to run it all the time because you can actually kill off the "good" bacteria too.

The UV won't kill your bacteria. You bacteria is typically growing on the substrate and other surface in the aquarium. The UV will kill free floating parasites and protozoans. It will also help keep algae in check.
IMO there is really not many negative aspects to running a UV sterilizer.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Make sure you purchase a unit with a 'wiper blade' that cleans the internal sleeve. Without this you will need to disassemble and clean it weekly. The UV is not affective if the quartz sleeve is dirty.

DrHank

Flow rate (slow) and contact time (long) are the keys to proper operation of a UV sterilizer. Yes, it will kill ick in the water column. It's not a substitute for regular water changes though.

blue_eyes53813

I have had a few mild outbreaks of ick. I believe my Uv sterilizer kept it under control. I think they are beneficial.. I have a turbo twist 9w sitting in my basement if anybody wants it.I had to get a bigger one for my 265 gallon

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
They will kill some of the ick but not all the ick. They are great though for "green water". There is nothnig wrong with having a UV if you want to spend the money. Just make sure it is the right size and you have the right flow rate.

fishhead

I have an Aqua UV 25W (with wiper) that I run 24 hours a day on my 90 gallon reef tank. I have the water pumped through the chiller and returned through the UV. It has been working great for me. I have not had any issues with algae, and all of the corals and fish appear very healthy. IMO, it does a great job.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether UV-Sterilizers have ill effect on using DT's Phytoplankton? Should one turn of the UV for a few hours while feeding? and, what about the skimmer...shouldn't that be off too?

lcstorc

I would turn both off while feeding. Particularly the small stuff. Just kind of makes sense to me.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Does anyone have an opinion on whether UV-Sterilizers have ill effect on using DT's Phytoplankton? Should one turn of the UV for a few hours while feeding? and, what about the skimmer...shouldn't that be off too?

Yep, turn them both off during feeding and up to a few hours afterwards. Just do not forget to turn the skimmer back on; you don't want stagnant water to form.