USER BEWARE! please read:)

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I put this on my tank thread but I figured it would get more views if I gave it a snappy title:) For those of you using these American DJ switch on their tanks be carful and keep an eye on them! I just removed this from my tank because a second switch melted on me. If you look closely at the one directly under the REALLY melted switch it also melted down just this week. When I saw these being used, I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread. I'm no longer using any of them on my tanks going forward.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Holy Cow! Mark thank you so much for the heads-up. I'm running one on my tank and have been for years. Time for a thorough inspection of the contacts inside.

What did you have on those 2 switches?

Good catch buddy.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Anytime Al,

I wish I could say it was caused by my heater but my heater is the one item that's on it's separate own GFI outlet.

I had most of the basics. A few pumps, aqua lifter that I use for my ATO, nano LED for my fuge that's about it.

Mine isn't the first that I've seen have a meltdown. When I saw another reefers, I just thought it was due to abuse however, unfortunately it wasn't.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
Yup I burned up two of them. They simply cannot handle the amperage we put through them. They are a serious safety hazard and should not be used on aquariums.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yikes, I use two of those. Need to open them up and now and take a look. Thanks Mark!!!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
If I remember correctly they do say not to exceed 10 amps or something similar.

DSP

I just had to remove a Dj strip from my tank because one of the switches stopped working and I was getting shocked! Thanks for posting this I was debating on whether to use another Dj strip on my new build, I'm gunna take apart the strip and see if anything is melted

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I just had to remove a Dj strip from my tank because one of the switches stopped working and I was getting shocked! Thanks for posting this I was debating on whether to use another Dj strip on my new build, I'm gunna take apart the strip and see if anything is melted

Were you getting shocked when you put your hand in the water?

plasma327

I too use to use a DJ strip in the beginning, Every time my 500 watt heater would kick on for more than a few minutes the Dj strip would trip. Various other times for unknown reasons it would just trip and i see why now. I only dealt with it a few time and took it out of service. Thank goodness i did not have the calamity as posted above. Glad you had no fire issues and caught it in time.

DSP

Were you getting shocked when you put your hand in the water?

I felt a small tingle when my hands hit the water but when I touched the metal on the strip I would get shocked good