HELP! unidentified Anemone issue

GradeAMarine99

Hello everyone, decided to join the forum to seek more help or insight on my issue that I’ve been having. (Apologies If thread is in the wrong sub section)

I am not new to the hobby at all but I am some what new to keeping Anemones. I have had this large RBTA in my tank for about 3 months now and for the first 2 months he was of superb health and condition (FIRST PICTURE) and once 2 months had passed he began showing signs of irritation that I noticed, such as twirling the ends of his tenti’s. (SECOND PICTURE)
For about a month now the Anemone has been in a grim unhappy state and is completely different (THIRD PICTURE) the change happened rather suddenly and as of today he has been tightly closed.

Tank Age: 11 months
Lights: ATI 39watt T5 bulbs
Chiller unit is installed to ensure stable temp
Alk: 7.7dkh
Calcium: 480ppm
Magnesium: 1530ppm
Nitrates: 4ppm
Phosphate: 0.03ppm
Salinity: 1.025
Never target fed the Anemone

Parameters have been kept stable and reasonable levels through out the period in which I’ve had the Anemone. No sudden changes were made besides the 2 bulbs being changed but he only started showing small signs of this irritation 2 weeks after the bulbs were swapped out. Have been seeking advice from all over as to what can be causing this, hope to see informative replies. Thanks all

Attachments

• B1F7F0A0-7FB1-486C-B42B-133A871379C0.jpeg
    B1F7F0A0-7FB1-486C-B42B-133A871379C0.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 3C06E82B-7012-4CE6-A41A-954B496FCBED.jpeg
    3C06E82B-7012-4CE6-A41A-954B496FCBED.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 11
  • CC35D0DA-FB8F-4423-A9AA-BE5A44C433DC.jpeg
    CC35D0DA-FB8F-4423-A9AA-BE5A44C433DC.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 11

DaveK

With anemones it's always a bit of a guess. I see a couple of areas that should be addressed.

Changing light bulbs can disturb an anemone. It's not unusual for new bulbs to put out almost twice the light the old bulbs did. I'd put a sheet or two of white translucent plastic between the lighting and the tank and see if that helps.

The other area is the water. Possibly something got into the water that you didn't know about. Maybe one of your other corals is putting out toxins your anemone doesn't like. Sometimes this is called "chemical warfare". I would make about a 25% water change, and filter the water with carbon. If your already using carbon, it might be time to change it.

Anemones this size should be fed. You need not feed much or very often. A small piece of clam or shrimp about once a week should be plenty. Don't over do feeding. However, don't attempt to feed if the anemone is not fully open.

Uncle99

The XBTA family require strong light availability and it will adjust itself to match it zoo processing requirements.

In the event strong light is not available, I would feed twice monthly a piece of fish or shrimp no larger than fingernail size.

Make sure he “grabs” and holds the food.

I thought MG was high at 1500 ish, I would think 1260-1360 is a better spot

GradeAMarine99

Hi all thanks for the input, I really do appreciate it.
I did suspect chemical warfare at first but after putting in Red Sea carbon I saw no change after a week and a half. I am in a bit of a predicament, @DaveK you recommend I do a 25% water change to try and eliminate the risk of an unknown chemical in the water column but I fear if I do such a large change I can further upset the water chemistry and cause another spike in Magnesiun As Water changes are the reason it got to such a high level with 1500ppm. @Uncle99 i chose not to feed the Anemone as the previous owner was getting a faster splitting rate the more he fed and I was quite happy with the size of the one I managed to buy from him so I wanted to attempt in prolonging his large size. I did feed him a big prawn (or shrimp not sure what you refer to it as) just to see how he would react and by the next day he opened up quite a substantial amount more than usual and was actaully beginning to stimg the near by candy cane colony and zoas, hence why I wanted to avoid it. I am aware these species require high levels of light and I suspect that is why he settled at the highest point of the rock work as the tubes that were being used were reaching the end of their life span and were probably putting out such a low output And hence why I changed them after he had settled in (not knowing if the change affected him)

Uncle99

Great responses to the advices, yes, changes in any environmental conditions, and splitting are concerns.

You certainly have a nice environment for him.

While older lights push less intensity, their colour has shifted more to the red. I changed to LED for this reason

After looking at your parameters which you post and looking at the last picture, I would do nothing but just watch him. His appearance is not IMO abnormal and to me, if he’s stuck, standing, coloured, just keep everything going as usual.

Let em settle. I see nothing wrong with his home.

Good luck

GradeAMarine99

Great responses to the advices, yes, changes in any environmental conditions, and splitting are concerns.

You certainly have a nice environment for him.

While older lights push less intensity, their colour has shifted more to the red. I changed to LED for this reason

After looking at your parameters which you post and looking at the last picture, I would do nothing but just watch him. His appearance is not IMO abnormal and to me, if he’s stuck, standing, coloured, just keep everything going as usual.

Let em settle. I see nothing wrong with his home.

Good luck

Hello Sir, thank you very much for the informative advice. I will do my best to wait it out and hope he snaps out of what ever slump he is in. I was completely unaware of the Red spectrum shift with older lights. I look forward to broadening (and sharing) my knowledge from/with experienced individuals like yourself on this forum. If anyone has any other ideas and advice please don’t hesitate to share with me! :)

DaveK

Hi all thanks for the input, I really do appreciate it.
I did suspect chemical warfare at first but after putting in Red Sea carbon I saw no change after a week and a half. I am in a bit of a predicament, @DaveK you recommend I do a 25% water change to try and eliminate the risk of an unknown chemical in the water column but I fear if I do such a large change I can further upset the water chemistry and cause another spike in Magnesiun As Water changes are the reason it got to such a high level with 1500ppm. ...

A 25% water change is roughly a normal partial water change, if you make a partial water change once a month. It's really nothing out of the ordinary. Of course, you do need to match tamp and SG.

I wouldn't say that it couldn't occur, but, unless your adding an additional magnesium supplement, it your be extremely unlikely to increase magnesium by doing water changes.

GradeAMarine99

A 25% water change is roughly a normal partial water change, if you make a partial water change once a month. It's really nothing out of the ordinary. Of course, you do need to match tamp and SG.

I wouldn't say that it couldn't occur, but, unless your adding an additional magnesium supplement, it your be extremely unlikely to increase magnesium by doing water changes.

Will try doing a water change as an option. As for now I’ve got my local community stumped and the original owner confused. Holding thumbs he bounces back.