Tunze Nano DOC 9002 Thread.

Ashr

I think if you had it in a sump you wouldnt have that issue. But I know your pain.. this thing can be a pain in the a$$

Mischko

A question for all Tunze users, I use mediarack with 9002,everytime I cleaned my filter floss, the water level will raise, so that the skimmer won't work unless I adjust the skimmer level, how do you guys solve this problem?

I am using the Tunze 9002 with the media rack, too. I did have the same problem with the filter floss/wool. So, what I did here while I installed my Tunze ATO was this:
First, I used fresh filter floss then filled up the tank to the max, adjusted the level in the rear in such a way that it is about an inch above the water level marker of the Tunze skimmer. Of course, I had to adjust the skimmer in height there, too. Now that the overflow was creating enough current to suck dirt in, the water level in the rear high enough (2nd scale from the top at the little controll window) I installed the level controllers from the Tunze ATO. In the rear at the current water level, the other controller in the tank at its current max level.
Now the filter floss can get clogged and the water level can raise in the main tank, but the ATO won't fill water up since it is at max.. When I remove the filter floss and the level drops back and water should be needed then the ATO start pumping to get the level again. Over time the the filter floss gets clogged again, level raises abit again, change filter floss, all level adjust again. The reason why I adjusted the skimmer in such away that water level is above its marker, is for the water level dropping due to the clogged filter floss. It drops for me over 24 hours almost exaclty to the marker. This way it will still skim properly.

Ashr

I am starting to see a lot of micro bubbles again from my T9002. Meh.. I dont know what else to lol.

Mischko

Just 2 things which happened to me with the Tunze 9002.

Number one: When you did the modification with the air intake and you used a normal aquaristic plastic hose it will bend sooner or later preventing enough air to come through to the skimmer. The bend will be exactly where the cable and the hose exit the skimmer. After some time the plastic of the hose will become also very stiff worsening it. What I did was to cut the inner part of the hose up to the exiting hole of the skimmer and attached one of those L-shaped hard plastic bends then abit of hose again and another L-shaped hard plastic bend. This way the hose won't bend and get clogged and the rest of the hose is facing straight upwards paralel to the skimmer.

Number two: The stock L-shaped bend which is used to connect the air intake/hose to the skimmer got stuck at mine with salt and also causing a reduced air flow. You might also want to check that part from time to time, too and clean it out with a tooth pick or a needle.

Ashr

Just 2 things which happened to me with the Tunze 9002.

Number one: When you did the modification with the air intake and you used a normal aquaristic plastic hose it will bend sooner or later preventing enough air to come through to the skimmer. The bend will be exactly where the cable and the hose exit the skimmer. After some time the plastic of the hose will become also very stiff worsening it. What I did was to cut the inner part of the hose up to the exiting hole of the skimmer and attached one of those L-shaped hard plastic bends then abit of hose again and another L-shaped hard plastic bend. This way the hose won't bend and get clogged and the rest of the hose is facing straight upwards paralel to the skimmer.

Number two: The stock L-shaped bend which is used to connect the air intake/hose to the skimmer got stuck at mine with salt and also causing a reduced air flow. You might also want to check that part from time to time, too and clean it out with a tooth pick or a needle.

I will check this out, thanks :)

shingo43

Here is a great, easy mod to make dialing it in far easier. Have fun!

YouTube - Tunze 9002 Modification

I just did the same mod today, all I can say is WOOOOW
the mod only cost me a little over a dollar and only takes me less than 15 mins. Any one own 9002 should and have to do it.
I bought 3 feet air line tube from LFS(http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/ap-tub316/Lee's+Deluxe+Airline+Tubing+-+per+foot.html).
and this Hagen Elite Airline Control Valve
The tunze skimmer is now ultra quiet, and the bubbles looks better than before, and adjust air can not be easier now.
Highly recommand the mod.

shingo43

a question for all 9002 users, what does the color look like in your collection cup? I got got light browns no matter how I set the air intake. and how long does it take to make the collection cup half full? My setting takes about a week.

Mischko

You don't need to open your Tunze 9002 to do the air mod at all! Leave it closed, take off the skimmer cup, remove the blue bolt for the air valve, on the inside close the little hole with e. g. aquarium silicone, stick an aquarium hose with a joint into the air valve hole and done.
Same effect, no opening needed, no removal of internal air hose needed and can be reverted, too.
And way easier to do.

Tufftey

Hi My media rack and tunze arrived a couple of days ago and after a frustrating few days when it was wasn't working at all I think I've finally got it to start working properly even it it isn't producing any gunk yet.
I forgot to order the media floss everyone keeps talking about so my question is whether I can still use the RSM sponge? or just use a normal floss pad ( I only usually put the floss on top of the sponge for a couple of hours after a water change)

I also ordered the adapted square cup for the tunze but this is quite a loose fit - is it meant to wobble when you touch it?

Mischko

Use a dremel or sandpaper and thin out the tube from the inside until it has about the same thickness as in the tube of the original skimmer cup. Then it slides perfectly in and won't wobble around anymore and sits tight on top of the skimmer.

Tufftey

Mischko you're obviously more technical than I am I'd be too frightened of cracking the plastic to attempt trying to thin it out, the only filing I do is my nails! If the general concensus is it's meant to be loose I'll leave well alone. Is there a reason why this skimmer only needs a floss pad but the rsm skimmer recommended the sponge and floss pad?
Btw I've still only got white foam coming up the cup I've read it can take a couple of days to a week to start skimming properly so I'm keeping fingers crossed it is working correctly

Mischko

No worries, Christina, it will skim fine even without thining out the tube. I think it is better to use normal standard filter floss since you don't have to wash it out. I change mine every day and throw it away. With the RS black sponge, you would have to wash it out every day, latest every second day and I am sure, one will never really get it clean again. By this, it can become a source of Nitrate to your tank.
Color of your skimmate will highly depend on how dirty your water gets from the inhabitants. After about 6 months runing my tank, I still get only a light brown-yellowish skimmate, not a blackish one.

Tufftey

Wow! I've only ever washed my sponge out once a week when I do my water changes and then I've washed it in the tank water (that I've taken out of the main tank)

Bathtub

Recently I have added low level ozone to the tunze (with an in tank cup) from the Phillips ozone kit- just run the airline via the unit.
Results are amazing- tank is crystal (I do mean invisible water) the skimmate is far smellier than before (no ozone smell) and the bubble wall structure is strong enough that it picks the lid up off the in tank...
For the 130 the Phillips ozone unit cost me about 60 quid (Uk)- I have no adverse side effects on the skimmer I have seen yet (4 months in, strip skimmer every 3 weeks)...
Very nice tweak I think....
Now if I could just get a mesh wheel running in the tunze I would be a happy man....