Tube worm closed up

Hey folks
I have a tube worm or feather duster in my tank. Its been closed up for two days. This morning it is poking out the top a little but for the previous two days he has been sealed at the top of the tube. I have some other hitchhiker worms that are acting normal. And my water parameters and ph and such are still good no fluctuation. Should I worry? Or is this normal?
Every thing else looks and acts regular. Livestock, corals, water quality. Temp is up a little from 76 to 77.1 so barely. Any thoughts?:whstlr:

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
That is usaly an indication of one or two things. 1) It is sick, 2) It is growing a new duster top. It is usually the latter, so give it time.

Stacef

Boomer is right, it could be sick, or growing a new crown.
What a little while, probably about a week, and see if he starts coming out again. If he doesn't and you see no sign of him, you can reach in and GENTLY (I emphasize gently) squeeze the tube, just the edges a little bit. If he wiggles, he's still kicking. If not, he could have a) abandoned that tube and built another somewhere else or b) passed on.

KimPossible

I would give it time. If the tube is still full in form, I suspect that the worm is behaving the way they do. Mine often stays in its tube for a couple days, secretes tube building goo, puffs out reproductive smoke, looses its plume and builds another. I have had Sabellidae( non-calcareous) tube worms disappear into their tubes and Serpulidae (calcareous) tube worms disappear into their tubes for some time only to reappear fuller and healthier.
I have had a Sabellidae completely leave its tube, wedge itself in some rock and rebuild it's tube.
Check out Wet Web Media to read up on your beautiful quirky little critters :)

adamsfour

Re: Tube worm closed up - another problem

Hello,
I have a feather duster and I accidentally placed another coral on top of him. two days later I noticed it and move the other coral. Now the FD won't open up. I see no indication he lost his feathers but his top is close almost completely. Is he dead.

CATALYST

I had one feather duster that went down in his tube. I waited a week and checked the tube...nothing there. It never came back.