Tsunami hits Penang Island (My place)

BigReepher

BoomerD said:
The devastation appears to be terrible...It's hard to believe that none of the countries that got hit were part of the tsunami warning system.

What's harder to believe is that when those that did hear of the high waves that were coming, many of them flocked to the beaches to see the spectacle. I pray for those who lost children and parents. The devastation is unfathomable by most of us who have never been in such a predicament, so I encourage everyone to help in whatever way they can.

Craig Manoukian

Wow, what an awesome display of the power of nature, but unfortunately at the expense of our brothers and sisters. We pray for the departed souls and the safety of those who remain in the path of such devastation.

wooddood

the wood dude
kevin glad to hear you and your loved ones are ok, very very good news to hear my friend. this has to be one of the most tragic events to happen in some time and ours prayers go out to everyone else involed in this tragic ordeal. so i think we all should pray for the families that were'nt so fortunate. terrible just terrible.

dave.

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Received great news from a Scottish friend of mine who lives on Phi Phi Island in Thailand which was devastated by the Tsunami. Here's the email I received this morning :

"Hello from Sea Fun, and thank you for your concern,

Its difficult to imagine a Tsunami.

Pai had just taken our guests to the beach and the first wave group hit Sea Fun.

I turned the bowsprit to face the wall head on with engine at full speed forward as multiple waves pounded Sea Fun with incredible speed and force.

I could see walls of white water as it made contact with the beach. Sea Fun took on water through open hatches but survived the savage sea.

After the waves passed, an ocean stream travelling at maybe 10 knots or more took Sea Fun hurtling behind the Island of Ko Mook. I realized I was going downhill....

Pai during this time had moved our guests to higher ground and Sea Fun was now arriving at the back of the Island. The next wave followed shortly after, accompanied by more ocean streams and something resembling whirlpools. I felt I was sailing in a big Jacuzzi....

A third wave group rounded the the Island. Less powerful now....

I gazed at my surroundings and the sea by now is totally covered with objects from the land and with abandoned upturned local boats.
I was to learn later that scores of people had gone missing at the Emerald cave on the west side of Ko Mook, that we had visited the previous day.

Pai came down from high land and arranged a speedboat transfer to evacuate our guests to Trang on the mainland. Our inflatable is brought overland to a longtail and brought out to Sea Fun.

Damage assessment next - relatively light considering the event - Bowsprit side stay rod snapped (1/2 inch S/Steel), anchor windlass wrecked, Engine overheat, and with the whiplash from the first multiple waves - damaged to both masts.

Next followed a very long night with full moon, waiting and ready for more Tsunami. None came. We laid on watch with our passports and valuables in waterproof bags. .

A 5am start, arriving at Saladan, Lanta around 12 where we find all the remaining boats including ferries way inside the river (klong). We have decided to wait. The local damage is unbelievable and we have not seen the worst yet. We have totally lost contact with P P Island and fear the worst......

Next day -
We are now waiting at Saladan. Khun Art of Saladan is getting us fuel, water & engine spare parts coming from Krabi by Taxi before we can move to P P. Lanta costline was badly hit...

[ We have reliable info that Khun Sin and Khun THai working at Sea Sports are safe. We still need info of Mr Song last seen on the beach wearing a P P Princess Sea Sports T Shirt and a P P Princess Sea Sports Lifejacket. We pray for his safety.

As we learn more we will keep you posted"

My friend runs a watersport facility on that island and he spends most of his time on the yatch running chattered cruises. Mr Song the person he's referring to is his Operations Manager. I've only met Song once and I pray for his safety.

Gina

RS STAFF
I watched CNN yesterday for about 3 hours and was just shocked and amazed at the total amount of devastation. As Wit said, mother nature can sure be cruel at times. I pray that many of the people who are missing family members have a positive outcome awaiting.

angnak

Kevin, I am glad to hear your friend is safe. Keep us posted on Mr. Song.

Death toll over 116,000. This is so sad. But at the same time, I don't want this to sound bad, I am in awe of this. This planet and the universe in general has always fasinated me. I mean this earthquake made the earth wobble, it took microseconds(not alot I know) off our rotation by speeding up the rotation. I mean WOW. Wit is so right. Mother nature has a lot of force that we haven't even seen yet is what is scary. Also, as Wood said, our prayers are with EVERYONE that is affected by this tragic event.

Craig Manoukian

This just in from CNN.

Tsunami death toll now estimated at more than 115,000, officials in affected areas say.

Our prayers are needed now more than ever!

jimeluiz

Kevin - glad you and yours are safe.

This whole thing is weighing very heavily on Luiz and I. We spent some very special weeks in Thailand a couple of years ago at Ko Phi Phi and Phuket, among other places. It was snorkeling at Ko Phi Phi that began our love affair with reefs that lead to our having a tank. It was truly a pradise. Seeing the images from there is horrifying.

We have sent a donation to help as much as we can.

HERE is a list of relief organizations from the CNN website.

Gina

RS STAFF
Kevin,
Just checking on how you are doing? Hope your family are all safe. I just can't really believe how bad this thing was. I feel so bad for everyone over there. Keep us updated.

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Gina,

Thanks for the concern. Luckily the damage on our island was very minimal as compared to those in Indonesia, Sri Lanka etc. Our cleanup work only took 2 days and on the 3rd day, our government started sending search and rescue units to Indonesia. As of yesterday we already have a few hundred personnel in Indonesia and the feedback from some of the team members were as if they went to hell.

They could see dead bodies everywhere, maggots and some were already liquifying. Anyway we are still sending food, water etc everyday and hopefully the rebuilding will start soon. As for now the cleaning up is still not finished yet. A couple of days ago they found an Indonesian woman on top of a coconut tree trunk drifting on the sea hundreds of kilometres away from where she was hit by the tsuname. The amazing thing was she was still alive after almost a week adrift at sea. Her food source came from the tree she was on and her legs had lots of fish bite wounds. A ship found her and took her over to the Penang hospital.

One thing which I've noticed from the aftermath of the tsuname was that the waterline on the seashores around my island seems to have receeded more than a few hundred metres. We now have more land area on our seashores. I don't think I'm imagining this because my friend told me the same thing. He goes jogging by the seaside daily and have noticed the difference.

Anyway I pray that something of this magnitude will not happen again and go green to save our fragile earth.

Gina

RS STAFF
Gosh, I couldn't imagine what it must be like to have to clean up all that. I suppose like everything else, after awhile you just become immune to it.