Torch coral dying?

melvis

Hi all

I noticed last night that my torch coral seems to be receding more than usual on one of the branches and it's looking rather pale today, according to my missus who is at home and took the following pic:

IMG_5492%20copy_zps62ge7lxn.jpg

I was away for about 10 days so due to do a big WC tomorrow and will run some tests when I get in tonight (time permitting) to see what the water param's are like as that might have some bearing. It's been extremely healthy up until now so I'm guessing there's been a swing of some type...but strange that it's only affecting one of the branches?

melvis

Missus tried some target feeding today but she isn't 100% sure if it took anything. Will check the Alk and see what it says, have a feeling it'll be low as always seemed to struggle with keeping this consistent.

melvis

Took water to LFS this morning for my mate to check it for me and readings are:

Mag: 1260
Cal: 410
Kh: 6/7
Nitrates: 0
Phosphates: 0
SG: 1.027 (usually runs at 1.024)

Now I know the SG is high and that will be skewing the other readings somewhat, although the top three above are usually a struggle to maintain for some reason. Have done a 20% WC this morning and will take another SG reading later today and tomorrow morning to see if this has brought it down a tad - if not, I'll slowly bring this down over the next few days.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Marty,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

melvis

Hi Marty and welcome to RS!

Yes, I'm running an ATO with RO/DI water so I've no idea how it's crept up. Tested it last night and my refractometer was showing 1.025-1.026 so the WC has brought it down somewhat. Will check again in a bit and see what it's showing now.

Cheers

melvis

Done a test earlier this morning and it was reading slightly over 1.026.

Most of the corals appear ok, although the Torch is still looking odd on one branch and the Fox isn't opening up as much as usual.

The Hammer is loving being back on the bottom right, it's MASSIVE! lol

Marty.h

Is there any chance something may of gotten into the water do you run carbon if not may be worth running some just incase.

Have you moved any powerheads recently or altered anything that could affect the flow in the tank my torch got moody once when I altered the angle of a powerhead.

melvis

I don't think so as nothing unusual has happened. I did consider running some carbon....about 10 minutes after my LFS shut this afternoon. Won't be able to do anything now until next weekend but keep an eye on param's etc.

I have adjusted the angle of the powerhead just in case it was blasting it too much, although for the past god knows how long it's been happy. :dunno: It has prompted me to delay the setting on the MP10 for a tad longer lol.

bazmackem

I don't think so as nothing unusual has happened. I did consider running some carbon....about 10 minutes after my LFS shut this afternoon. Won't be able to do anything now until next weekend but keep an eye on param's etc.

I have adjusted the angle of the powerhead just in case it was blasting it too much, although for the past god knows how long it's been happy. :dunno: It has prompted me to delay the setting on the MP10 for a tad longer lol.
Any update on this matey? Mine seems to have some out more under just the blue nighttime led!!! Suppose it could also be that I knock the pumps down at night... But I think hammers are meant to like flow?? Hope yours comes back to it's best soon. It looks like it's bleached in the photo??

melvis

Unfortunately the bleached branch is all but dead. It's receded right back inside bar a small bit on the far left hand corner, where it looks like it was going to split. The other branch is looking a bit odd now too, although not as bad but polyps no way near out as far as before. Glad to hear yours has come out a bit more, hopefully it was just a sulk and nothing too serious...unlike mine! :-(

bazmackem

It was looking ok through night but then seemed to go back in a bit... maybe due to me turning pumps back up... time will tell! Not good on yours mate - really hope it comes back for you.... it would be a bit easier if you knew what had happened. Keep updating mate, hopefully someone can wade in with a tip that can help revive it!