Tons of pods!! Good? Bad?

TomV

Those are either flatworms or --there is a bug that other people mentioned once, can't recall the name, but they are quite bad. They resemble pods, but they are quite a nuisance.

ReefLady

Staff member
I don't think those are flatworms - though the pic isn't quite close enough to be 100% sure, they don't look like it to me.

To the best of my knowledge, the jaw structure of an amphopod is not designed to be carnivorous - that they are almost always algae eaters. But remember, there are more species of amphipods than there are corals, so it's hard to declare them all instantly innocent. ;-)

I have heard of several similar instances, where pods are shown 'eating' coral. Zoanthids and Acropora seem to be the most often reported 'victims'. To the best of my knowledge, the theory is that they are eating the decaying tissue, and are not preying on live tissue/polyps. Some are thought to be commensal, and burrow within the corals, sometimes irritating it. I know that Dr. Shimek strongly argues against any 'proof' the pods are eating corals, even though photos like yours seems to be cropping up more and more often.

Take a peek at this thread: > Acropora Amphipods revisited<

In any case, you may want to consider a 6-line wrasse.

HTH,

mps9506

Doesn't look like the notorious red planarian "flatworms" to me.
Really, to tell the truth I can't see much from the photo.
Flatworms look more like a mini version of a mermaid's purse (shark egg case), but usually clear to brown or reddish in color.
They don't really do much harm, except multiply so quickly they smother stuff. Usually a good siphoning and low detrius buildup will keep them in check. Salifert's Faltworm exit or Green Ex work well in chemically removing them from your system. Be sure to siphon out all the dead flatworms and do a large water change and run carbon post treatment.
AFA amphipods or copepods, as RL said most are harmless, detritivores, herbivores... Then there are the "red bugs" that are found on the acropora, I strongly disagree with Schmeik after seeing a closeup video of these guys leterally headbutting the acropora tissue and chomping on it.
Anyhow, I don't see red bugs or "flatworms."
Most fish as a biological control are hit or miss. IMO like RL suggest 6 lines seem to be the best, Peppermint shrimp tend to eat a good number of pods also.
I'm a big fan of just pulling out the good old 1/2 inch tubing attached to some rigid tunbing and just sucking out as much as I can. That's what I did with my flatworms until I finally just decided to use the Sailfert product.
But again I doesn't appear to me that you have anything very harmful there.
Mike

TomV

I think Reeflady hit the nail on the head. Great advice there from she and MPS. :D

Still can't remember what the other bug's name was.. something like Stomapod or something. Still drawing a blank here.

sharks

Contributing Member
While I don’t think you need to go this route there has been news of an effective treatment for the red acro bug. While it kills the red bug it also takes out a good part of your pod population, shrimps, and crabs.
I hope the fish can get it under control but if not check this out….

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=439155#439155

Good luck and I hope you get it under control
S

I will try to give you a better picture of what I am dealing with...although thing do seem to be getting better...BUT, I did do some drastic measures, other than the two Wrasses that I have added to the tank I totally removed all of the contents of my sump. The sand and all of its wonderful, helpfull occupants, went by the wayside.
The sump was also getting so overrun with the 'PODs' that they were eating up the calerpa almost as fast as it was growing...besides I rid myself of many many bristle worms. No loss there!!! lol
Have more than enough of them in the main tank.
I am attaching yet another pic, hopefully to get yet a better look at these things that are irritating so many of my tank mates. Not to mention what they are doing to my nerves.
I got a new camera and am still having trouble with it, so please humor me yet again on the focus...I will get a good pic yet and show everyone what I am dealing with.

Isopods, Copepods, Amphipods, what ever you want to call them...they are KILLERS!!!
But now that evryone has helped me identify them as Isopods, is there a way to get them from eating on my corals... I have cut hay back on feeding of my fish...is this in turn making them feed on the corals, due to the lack of the other types of food present? Fish food that is.

All the help will be greatly appreciated...thanks RL you have been a great help!

also to add just a bit...Sharks, do you know of anything about theses little monsters? Or of anything that will get them from eating my corals...or something to get rid of them compleatly without killing other tank mates?