to many shrimp?

ds69

In my 44 gallon tank I currently have 2 peppermint shrimp, 2 blood/fire shrimp, and 1 skunk cleaner shrimp. They all seem to be getting along fine but i havent read much material stating that its fine to mix them like this. I was also thinking about getting a pair of sexy shrimp but none of the Lfs's have had them lately.

Kevin

ds69

lol nope its a reef with lots of extra shrimp. The peppermints arent the greatest but I like them all.

Kevin

saltwaterfarm

I would be nervous adding the sexy's with fish (or crabs)... I have them in a pico and they are VERY small. I don't know for sure the "rule" regarding placement of them with fish and other shrimp. BUT I LOVE THEM...
I also had breeding peppermints...
Sorry I couldn't help more.

ds69

well I dont think the fish would harm the sexys if I got them. All of the fish are smaller, just a damsel, neon goby, tangaroa goby and a scissortail goby. Have you ever raised your peppermint babies? Mine carry eggs around all of the time but Never raised any.

Kevin

ds69

cool, you would think that at least a few would survive but I guess it would be a matter of luck on that in a reef tank.

Kevin

saltwaterfarm

Well, see that's the thing... I tried it twice. The second time I got almost all of the babies into the breeder cage right away. Within a few days... nothing. There was nothing really in the tank that I would consider a predator. Just the peppermints. I never figured it out. I don't think people are generally able to raise them from that stage. Since then, that 3 gal pico has crashed... pump froze and I lost my peppermint shrimp... it was a sad day.

saltwaterfarm

Here's a pic of my other 3gal to show you the sexy's... FYI, this tank is the size of a piece of paper.
3_gal_sexy.JPG

ds69

very nice nano, Nice ricordeas and of course the sexy shrimp. The only sexy shrimps I have seen were about half that size. Sorry to hear about your tank crashing

Kevin

saltwaterfarm

Good luck with it... I forgot to tell you it is better to add the sexy's in 3's. I hope they work for you. They are very entertaining to watch. I would research more and find out for sure whether they are compatible with the other shrimp/fish. I would hate to see them get eaten since they are so small.