Tim's (lakelivin) RSM 500 build

LakeLivin

Decided to start a clean thread to chronicle my journey… I finally finalized the equipment list so the wait begins. I'm of course anxious to get started, but will spend the time to continue to learn/prepare so I'm better equipped to handle the challenges as they come up. Here's my equipment list:

(1) Red Sea Max 500
(1) APEX Controller Package
(1) APEX AFX Feeding Module
(1) APEX Energy Bar 8 (additional)
(2) Little Fishies 150 Reactors
(3) Peristalic pumps for dosing calcium, alkalinity & magnesium
(3) Dosing Hoppers
(2) MJ 400 Pumps for Reactors
(1) Brightwell Carbonit-P
(2) MP-40
(1) Brightwell Xport BIO NO3
(3) Cobalt 150 Heaters
(10) 20 lb. Bags of Oolite Live sand Carib Sea
150 lbs. Live Rock

Comments, questions or suggestions always welcome.

Choff

Hey Tim, love that you pared down a bit. Always better imo to start simple and if I was going to suggest starter pack for these tanks it would be pretty close to that.

1 question though. Are you going deep sand bed (greater 6")? That is a lot of sand. There are 3 schools of thought, bare bottom, approx 2" and DSB. Based on the amount of sand you are getting that looks like DSB. Just might want to do some reading on the pro and con of each type if you have not already done so.

Second, I don't see mention of testing kits. For salinity, check out the Milwaukee. Its by far the most expensive, but it could not be any simpler. Well worth the money. Next you will need basic tests for cycling ammonia/nitrite . I like to go cheap, API, because once you cycle you won't use these much if ever again. Next up is the the reef tests CA, Mg and Alk. I use Red Sea and I find them the easiest to use, but there are several reputable brands that all work well. Then the "algea" tests ; phosphate - love love love the Hannah checker. Hannah also makes great alk tester too, but stay away from their CA. Nitrate is the last one. Again almost any will do here. I use Red Sea

Lastly, get a handful of filter socks. I think just about everyone here replaces the black foam with these.

...stupid auto correct

LakeLivin

Hey Mike, funny you should mention testing kits because I was just researching them. I was referred to a top of the line digital kit from Hannah. It's the 83200 and it appears to test everything under the sun. It's almost 800 bucks not including reagents so it's pretty pricey. Just wondering what if anything you know about it. I definitely want a digital tester because I'm terrible at reading colors.

As far as the sand goes, I was just going off the LFS recommendation for that size tank. I prefer not to have the bed any deeper than "adequate" so how many pounds would you recommend for the 500? Also, I did include filter socks, but thanks for the reminder.

What's your opinion regarding battery backups for the pumps? Within the next year or so I plan to add a whole home backup generator to my house because when/if we get hit with a major hurricane or tropical storm in Central Florida the chances are good we could lose power for a few days. It has not happened to us since we moved here about 8 years ago, but if it ever does happen I know we will be extremely glad we installed one. You don't know how much you rely on electricity until you don't have it.

ziggy

Decided to start a clean thread to chronicle my journey… I finally finalized the equipment list so the wait begins. I'm of course anxious to get started, but will spend the time to continue to learn/prepare so I'm better equipped to handle the challenges as they come up. Here's my equipment list:

(1) Red Sea Max 500
(1) APEX Controller Package
(1) APEX AFX Feeding Module
(1) APEX Energy Bar 8 (additional)

(10) 20 lb. Bags of Oolite Live sand Carib Sea

Comments, questions or suggestions always welcome.

If your MP 40 is going to provide wicked flow, the sand you called out looks very fine on BRS site and may tend to blow around a lot.
Lot of folks here end up replacing it with Special grade arag - alive so it stays settled

Choff

Going to have to check out that Hannah. I am only familiar with the 3 I mentioned. I have all of them and the CA is rotting on my shelf.

I used about 120 or 140# of sand in my 650 and I am about 2". The worst part is cleaning the stuff. Having some extra don't kill us and can you make sand bags of of the extra for your next hurricane. :)

I have a whole house system. I live in Northern Mass and we get some wicked storms. In the past 5 years we have lost power in access of 5 days 4 times. You might want to consider a backup for the mp40s. If you keep the flow around the rocks you are pretty good for a day or 2 with that maybe more.

...stupid auto correct

Choff

Wow the Hannah is impressive, but it's not really designed for reef parameters. Calcium test range is 0-400 ppm which is to low. We want to be in the 440 + ppm range . Same with Mg is only 0-150 ppm where we want to be in the 1400 ppm range.

...stupid auto correct

LakeLivin

I did a lot more reading and I agree with you about the Hannah so that's out of consideration. I did add the APEX salinity probe to my order so I won't need a tester for that. I'll continue to look into digital testers for the things that APEX does not provide a probe for. I'll have a few weeks to figure it all out, but anyone who has had success with any digital testers please let me know.

I spoke to my LFS store guy and he used some sand quanity to tank size calculation table and it indicates you should use 200lbs to achieve the recommended 3" sand depth for my tank size. I'll go with it because I can always remove some sand if it turns out to be more than I want.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I sent you a PM on the sand :yup: in case you didn't already order sand yet :D
I started out with way too fine of grain of sand & had to add larger grain sand to hold the fine stuff in place....it was a very frustrating mess. Don't get sand that's too fine grained.

LakeLivin

I started out with way too fine of grain of sand & had to add larger grain sand to hold the fine stuff in place....it was a very frustrating mess. Don't get sand that's too fine grained.

Thanks, I got it and replied. I have been asking around and doing some research since "Ziggy" posted his comment on the subject. Some say the finer the better for the ideal reef bed, but I am concerned about the sand blowing around too much with the MP40's. Decisions, decisions…

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
+1 to the not too fine of sand... can't tell you how many members have posted about it suspending and asking for help... (imo) :)

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
+1 to the not too fine of sand... can't tell you how many members have posted about it suspending and asking for help... (imo) :)

Take this to heart, you don't want to have to figure out how to remove or cover up all your fine sand in two months. Start with the Carib Sea that everyone recommends and you'll be glad you did.

Choff

God advice above in the sand.

Tim, I woukd still highly suggest a refractometer. You will want to test your SW mix before you add it and you are not going to be wanting to pull that probe all the time. Also, probes fail. You will want a backup. You can get decent refractometer for 50 bucks. Just don't buy one of those plastic jobbies with the floating arm. We not be able to be friends anymore :)

...stupid auto correct

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM

Tim, I woukd still highly suggest a refractometer. You will want to test your SW mix before you add it and you are not going to be wanting to pull that probe all the time. Also, probes fail. You will want a backup. You can get decent refractometer for 50 bucks. Just don't buy one of those plastic jobbies with the floating arm. We not be able to be friends anymore :)

...stupid auto correct

Good call, the BRS one comes with calibration fluid, a good deal.

LakeLivin

...stupid auto correct

Well, I would not want us to not be friends, after all I lived up in your neck of the woods for a few years and we were practically neighbors. Ever hear of Fort Devens in Ayer, MA just outside of Boston? It was the Army's base for the Military Intelligence school and the 10th Special Forces Group? I was assigned to the 10th for 3 years back in the mid eighties. I used to take the train from Ayer that went directly to the Boston Garden to watch Bird, Ainge, Mchale and the chief play while they still played at the garden next to the Boston train station.

How about the tester that comes with the Red Sea starter kit, would that one suffice? The LFS owner is giving me one of those along with a few other goodies for dropping so much coin in the store. Going to completely setup the tank for a very fair price just to keep my business. A complete turn key setup including installing sand, arrange rocks per my direction, program the APEX and install all the modules, pumps and probes etc. Even going to give me some starter corals when I'm ready and a couple of fish.

I'm going to bite the bullet on the sand, The owner uses the same sand in all there setups including the RSM 650 they have in the store and they have no problems with it. Even says they use the stuff in their personal tanks at home. I told them my concern a few times and they assured me that they will make it work for me just like they have all their other tanks. They swear by it and I made it clear that if there was a problem with sand storms they were on the hook to fix it no matter what it takes. Consequently, I believe it will work fine or they will fix it. We will have plenty of time to see all the pumps in operation with nothing but the sand and live rocks so if it going to be a problem they can fix it before we put any corals or fish in there. I'll be sure to let everyone know how it all works out with pictures.

Tokalosh

Or you can go for a mix of fine as well as medium grain. This combination works well for me, as when the sand bed does get disturbed the medium grain prevents the fine grain from turning your tank into pea soup.

Tok

ziggy

Pls keep us posted on how your sand works out. Always welcome/love input and results and benefit from other members lessons learned. If the MP 40 is not pointedonto the sand your LFS guy may be right. If it is going to flow onto the sand then we'll have some ideas for you on how to get rid of the suspended particles and cloudy water

LakeLivin

Pls keep us posted on how your sand works out. Always welcome/love input and results and benefit from other members lessons learned. If the MP 40 is not pointedonto the sand your LFS guy may be right. If it is going to flow onto the sand then we'll have some ideas for you on how to get rid of the suspended particles and cloudy water

I certainly will! I'm pretty confident the LFS folks will get it right. Their reputation is stellar and from what I hear they actually had one of the first RSM 650 builds in the US. I discovered they are members here and have a thread on the build. However, it looks like it's been a long time since they have posted any updates here.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...lub/74966-my-new-red-sea-max-650-s-build.html

LakeLivin

I figured while I'm waiting on all the equipment to come in I may as well get started putting together my water station. Don't want to worry about saving pennies because I've already spent so much it would be dumb to not setup a system to create the best water possible.

The RO/DI I had years ago was a pretty simple 4 stage system. I was looking at the 5 and 6 stage systems and was wondering if anyone had a recommendation of what they believe is the best? I also need to decide on a couple of water containers. The tank capacity is 135 gallons so I assume a 55 gal will be more than enough. I want something with a secure top and rigid construction so I don't have to worry about it folding up or the lid popping off when I'm moving it from the garage to the living room. Anyone know a vendor that carries food grade drums/barrels please let me know. Thanks!