Thoughts on what fish to get.....

brikeibur

Ok, so I have got a 24G tank and am contemplating what fish to get. I will later add a few corals and perhaps a sponge or two to brighten it up. It will still be a while as I want to go slow and get only one or two fish/corals at a time, but here are my thoughts thus far (I would like to know if any of these are a bad idea or what not):

So far I have:
*2 Green Chromis
*6 Hermit Crabs
*1 Emerald Crab
*3 TINY Snails (not sure what kind)
*and a few hitchhiking MINI starfish

(you can look at my photo album to see the setup and get an idea, just make sure to look at the latest pics to see the updated version)

I am considering EVENTUALLY adding these:
**2 False Percula Clowns (with an anemone later on)
**1 Pygmy Angel (I know they may eat Zoa's but I had one that died and he was just fine with the Zoa's - but I know I will have to watch him....I just loved it though, so I want another one!!)
**2 Clown Gobies (1 Yellow and 1 Green)

I have read up on all of them and am hoping it will be ok. Nowhere have I read where there would be any problems. All are reefsafe (the angel being the most dangerous to Zoa's and the most potentially aggressive). All sites I checked have said that they are all pretty peaceful. I have even read on numerous sites that of all the 3-striped clownfish, the false percula's are the most docile. I have also thought about the size of the fish and tank and what not.....the rule and so forth and it should support them all (probably shouldn't add any more after that, but it should support those). Clown Gobies don't even get to be 2inches, Pygmy angels and chromis are 3inches or less, and the clowns are less than 4inches.

So just tell me what you think, or if you have had a bad experience with any of these fish, or if you know something I might need to know for down the road before I make any purchases. I would even like to know if there is a certain order I should introduce the fish into the aquarium in order to reduce risk of aggression or stress. Thanks for all your help and input...I look forward to hearing your thoughts!!:wave:

michael_cb_125

Personally I would lighten the bio-load a little bit. I have a 24 gallon Aquapod, that I only have three fish in. Sometimes I feel as though I am overloaded. I f you are wanting to add some corals and sponges later I would keep your fish population to a minimum, espescially in a tank so small. I think that the Angel would be too big for a 24 gallon tank. And when they are in a smaller more confined space they tend to pick at corals a little more. Maybe add the two clowns and see how it goes from there. If you get tank raised Ocellaris, they tend to stay smaller than their wild counterparts, and they are very docile fish. Just remember that the smaller the tank the bigger the challenge. Bad things happen fast in all saltwater aquariums, but bad things more a lightspeed in nano tanks.

brikeibur

Well its a pygmy cherub angel, they don't even get as big as the clowns, but I can see your aggression point about the smaller tank. So how many fish do you think would be safe in my tank, considering the ones I have suggested? I could bring the Chromis back if necessary, its the other fish that really have my interest. Also, do you think there would be a problem having two clown gobies together, like fighting? If so, then I could just get the yellow clown goby, its my favorite anyway. I really like the angel though, I really wanted another......I'm getting sad just thinking about it! LOL!!

What about this:
Pygmy Angel - if it starts to cause problems I can yank it out and send it back....
Yellow Clown Goby
2 Clownfish

....and if I need to, return the 2 green chromis.

Does that sound better? I know most peeps will probably tell me NOT to go with the angel, but understand that I LOVED my last one, and he didn't bully my chromis or eat at my Zoas, so I really would like to try another one. It was a bully pseudochromi combined with slightly high ammonia that killed my last one, but the pseudo is GONE (he was a jerk to everyone!!) and my levels are great now. I am still going to wait and let each addition cycle so I have no spikes.

Let me know if this still sounds too much, or just any opinions you might have. I appreciate all feedback, even if it is something I don't wanna hear!! LOL!! Thanks for the input, and please, the more input I have the better decisions I can make later on.

Last edited:

DrHank

You may want to reconsider either the anemone or type of clownfish. The appropriate host anemone would be a carpet, ritteri, or saddle. Unfortunately they are difficult aggressive and get huge (will outgrow your tank quickly).
I have the same problem and decided to do without the anemone.

You really have a three to four fish tank (three would be better) at most. Choose wisely.

brikeibur

hmm....I know there are some corals that are similar to anemones (and clowns like them too), perhaps I could go with that instead of the anemone. I might could find one of those that doesn't get as large. Thanks.

I don't know what to do about the fish issue then.....It will be a tough decision. More advice please!!! I want all you can give!!! :)

lcstorc

I agree with the others about it being too much bio-load. If the chromis are what you like least then I would return them. I would also be very careful with the angel. I have a flameback who was a perfect inhabitant for the first year and then took out all my lps twice. (I am a slow learner.)
I would also re-thing the anemone. There is just not enough room and probably not enough light to successfully keep one. If you have your heart set on it then be sure your tank is WELL established. A year or more is the recommendation.
As to the clown gobies here is my experience.
I have a yellow in my 24g. Added another yellow and it was quickly beaten to death by the first.
I have a yellow and a citron in my 125g reef and they are perfectly fine together. I am not sure if it is the different color that made it ok or the size of the tank but that is what happened here.

brikeibur

Thanks Lynn,
I completely see what you are saying about the Gobies. My tank is probably too small to have 2 of them without them fighting over territory or something.

I reread the post in the beginner forum on the 'ye old stocking limit question' and apparently I read it wrong the first time. So about 4 smaller fish is my limit. Guess I should go with the 2 clowns and the Goby then. I still would like to try the Angel. Wonder if that goes with all coral? AARRGGH!! LOL, I really really like the angel too!! He has been my favorite fish so far. He has such nice coloring and shape (and personality), the last one really added a lot to the tank. :-(

Anyone think that 2 clowns and a goby would be a problem, or even have any other personal experiences with pygmy cherub angels? Or perhaps even know of some good corals that angels might stay away from?
Thanks!

brikeibur

OH, I was going to ask you guys what about a pink tube anemone? I saw one in the LFS recently and it was beautiful. Theirs wasn't big or anything. My tank has a metal halide and not the cheaper version some of the tanks come with. I was told (and read) that I could keep virtually anything with the light that I have (provided I place it appropriately and properly tend to it). Is this not the case??

Here is why I think it is possible for me to have a tube anemone. I think someone else posted this article on these forums before.
Aquarium Invertebrates

Last edited:

lcstorc

Tube anemones get huge and pack quite a sting. I wouldn't put one in that small of a tank.
As for they pygmy angel, I vote no. This is because I am busy getting rid of a flameback because he was picking at my corals.

bluespotjawfish

IF you still want to pursue the angel, then cut back to one clownfish and get rid of the zoas. As for a clown host, I would recommend some fuzzy mushrooms. I have some beautiful green ones in my 125 that my clowns love and they are as pretty as an anenome is.

Good luck with your choices.

brikeibur

Hmm...perhaps I'll just skip the angel....man I really liked my last one too. He was such a sweetie!! So cute!! (see, here is a pic!!)
3wks_Jul01_2007_193_.JPG

Isn't he cute!!

Anyways, so if I did skip the angel then that would leave me having:
2 clowns and a yellow clown goby and NO anemone (maybe mushrooms like someone said earlier...)
IF this was the case I'm assuming I would still need to get rid of the 2 Green Chromis?? Kinda seems cold-hearted doesn't it?

brikeibur

Ok, so today I bought a frogspawn from the LFS. They told me that one of their clowns used to host the frogspawn he had, so perhaps this will work for my future clown or two. Anyone else think it is a good idea? It will do instead of an anemone, because from what you guys were saying I agree about my tank being too small and an anemone being just too hard to keep in it due to this.
I will post a pic of the fs later, it is very nice and bright green.
Thanks

mps9506

I don't like that idea, I always move my corals if the clowns think they can use it for a surrogate host because eventually they damage the flesh of the coral and expose the skeleton opening the path for infection etc. Or it just ticks off the coral and it never opens up fully.

brikeibur

Well crud.....LOL.
Anyone else had this problem with clowns and frogspawn? the 'skeleton showing' problem that is...or the clown actually bothering the coral? It seems like I was told that clowns wouldn't bother the coral by hosting it....but yours did? I am so confused!!

brikeibur

Well as fate has it, we got a small percula for Brian's Bday. So far it has not shown any interest in the frogspawn so perhaps it won't. I would like to get the clown a buddy one day though. I have heard to get one that is significantly larger so they won't fight over who will be the dominant female. Any other advice on adding a second clown once you have one? I will wait a little while, don't wanna rush it. I just wanna know if there will be any probs getting another one since they weren't originally tankmates (it will of course be the same type of clown).
Thanks

6wks_Jul28_2007_52a_.jpg

lcstorc

It is very hard to pair clowns after the face. I am trying to do the same due to the death of one of my pair and I am having a horrid time since the established clown just plain beats up on the new one.
If you want another I would look for a very small one. That way your existing one doesn't feell threatned and will turn into a female if it hasn't alredy.
I have had my maroon clown host in almost all of my softies and lps. She doesn't seem particular at all LOL. I have never seen her damage them and don't think she has, but I can't watch 24/7 either. :)
Oh in case anybody was wondering. I am not trying to pair the maroon. She is just too mean, She is in the reef and I have a Clarki and a RBTA in another tank that I am trying to pair. :)

Charlie97L

that picture you posted is of a juvenile pygmy angel too. remember, these fish grow... mostly in the LFS they are the equivalent of toddlers.

i've seen that species get 4" before, which is way too big for a 24g with other fish. i just don't see how it's a good selection. despite their size, they have huge territories in the wild.

i love them too, but sometimes you just need a bigger tank... i've had a 90 for about 10 months, and am having to go down to a 40 when i move, and i had to sell both of my tangs. it killed me, i loved them, but i just can't support them in the 40.

let's see some FTS! :) looks like you're doing great!