Thinking about a new salt choice

vsiege

I've been using Instant Ocean reef crystals for years but I'm looking to make a change. Nothing bad is going on in regards to chemistry but I'm getting low, and thought I might try a new brand. I've used seachem and red sea in the past and have landed back at reef crystals. I have access to Fritz RPM and Brightwell Aquatics NeoMarine but that doesn't mean I can't get something else out there.

Has anyone made a switch to something else in the last year and feels strongly about the brand they've switched to?

Stock: softies, inverts and fish

DaveK

Salt brands are a very personal choice, and some use one brand with almost a religious zeal. It's not too unusual to start a "salt war" by asking about what salt others use.

That being said, I think any quality brand will work just fine. I'd say if your current salt is working well for you, don't mess with success.

If your going to buy salt online, make sure shipping is included. Since salt is heavy there is often an additional charge for shipping. Often your better off getting salt from your LFS.

If you are going to switch brands, got slowly and carefully. Only change about 10 to 15% of the water at a time until you get to the point where you have a large percentage of the new salt being used.

vsiege

Hi Dave,

Yes, I believe I have seen some of those wildfires (discussions) in past on here [emoji3]

Always good to hear from you as well. I hope all is well by you.

Thanks for passing along the good advice. I am prepared to try one of those brands (made a choice earlier) and use the mixing percentage advice you sent. Its been a few years, so its nice to have a refresher.

Thanks [emoji106]

vsiege

Thanks for your response. Hope all is well by you. Let you know how my experience goes. Happy reefing.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
For me I think it also depends on how you supplement your tank. Right now, without dosing pumps or a calcium reactor I use TMP. Once I get my calcium reactor running I’ll probably move to instant ocean. It’s half the price and I can adjust parameters myself

vsiege

Thank you. I am only adding kalkwasser at the moment. So very minimal on the additives side. I got fritz RPM coming tomorrow and will be doing a new water change next week as I did 2 this week. I will some of the old and some of the new salt at least for the first couple changes. I've done this a few other times on the past and don't have any big concerns. Let you all know how it goes.

Blue Space

I was thinking about changing to Fritz too, as one of my LFS carries it and claims that there is no build up in their saltwater reservoir, like you get from using RC. Just curious if that was your reason for considering the change as well?

vsiege

It was a mix of things for me. I've heard that, but it wasn't that which made me take the plunge. RC has been good for me, but my tank has really never looked spectacular, just stable. I've used Red Sea and another brand in the past and always switched back to RC. I actually tried Red Sea 2 separate times, and had massive cyano problems each time. From what I understand, I'm not the only one to have reported that. In the end, I always end up switching back to RC due to the stability, which is key for anybody [emoji106]. I was getting low on RC, so I thought this was the opportune time to try a new brand and see if I can visually see any differences without changing anything else.

Got the Fritz RPM today and will probably do a water change next weekend as I did 2 this week. Let you all know my thoughts when I've had some time with it.
69de873ccd00a0f2896575e9f16e9157.jpg