The multiple sand proposition

Which are the ones appropriate, or not and tell us why in a post

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Basile

Ok i'm starting this thread because i can't find anything to help me on the subject or any that discuss it seriously or "in dept" as it were and it may help others too looking for answers.

I'm doing my system soon and i'm in the market for my sand bed, and i noticed a lot of new product that are being pushed by the stores or being promoted any way. Before all i heard was "Aragonite" and that was IT!!! It was the choice of champion and blah blah, but now i'm all confused.

I was told before coarse sand was better. If memory serves, better aeration, less nutriment trapping, and so on. Now lots of fine and extra fine sand have creeped up . Can we have a rational discussion on the subject on the different attributes of each. Anybody?

I personnaly like to know i'm not a newb but certanly not an expert on anything and i want to learn . I'm actually surprise not to find anything on the subject since its a big part on are tanks covering the entire floor and no mention or any sticky on this important component of are hobby :confused:

Basile

This is a quote i found;

Q;Why is fiji pink so nice? Does it jsut have a nice color or is it the fact that it doesnt show dirt/alage real easily and has a nice uniform grain size?

A; It gives your ecosystem the electrolytes it needs to grow big!

Any thoughts on that????

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
A couple things to note:
- fine sand will not allow detritus to get trapped, course sand is more prone to it
- If you have huge flow, fine sand gets thrown around
- if you have critters that feed in the sand bed you need to make sure your sand size isn't too big
- if you mix sand, the fine sand will settle

Personally, I used tropic eden reef flakes. A 2-1 ratio of "reef flakes" and mini reef flakes" and I like the consistency and "strength" it gives me.......my sand sifting star and tiger cucumber are also able to feed in and throughout it with no problems.

My $.02

Basile

A couple things to note:
- fine sand will not allow detritus to get trapped, course sand is more prone to it
- If you have huge flow, fine sand gets thrown around
- if you have critters that feed in the sand bed you need to make sure your sand size isn't too big
- if you mix sand, the fine sand will settle

Personally, I used tropic eden reef flakes. A 2-1 ratio of "reef flakes" and mini reef flakes" and I like the consistency and "strength" it gives me.......my sand sifting star and tiger cucumber are also able to feed in and throughout it with no problems.

My $.02

I've just looked it up looks nice, and thanks for the precisions. It seem a good combination as i'm contemplating having bottom feeders and critters to complete my tank. Will a 2-3" thick bed be enough for a goby or blenny to enjoy himself or no, will they create a sand storm all the time?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think the "rule of thumb" is to either do one inch or less or more than 3 inches. My tank has about 3 inches in it ans my YWG does just fine.

AC273

I have two tanks, one has a 3.5"-4.5" bed and the fish dig around in it too much and burry live rock and what not... so when I did my new tank I made the sand bed 1.5"-2" and am completely happy with that depth. I still have all the sand critters (worms, dusters, etc) but none of the fish seem inclined to dig around as much with the shallower sand bed.

DaveK

You actually have a fairly wide range when it comes to sandbeds. My personal choice would be aragonite sand, either under 1" or over 4", using a grade or two above the super fine "sugar sand". I would not mix grain sizes.

However, I wouldn't call anyone else wrong when it comes to sandbeds, no matter what hey close.

DaveK

This is a quote i found;

Q;Why is fiji pink so nice? Does it jsut have a nice color or is it the fact that it doesnt show dirt/alage real easily and has a nice uniform grain size?

Any thoughts on that????

I fail to see any reason why fiji pink sand would be better than any other aragonite sand. I'd say the statement "It gives your ecosystem the electrolytes it needs to grow big!" is at best snake oil. (Note - I'd usually use a much more vulgar term here, but RS is a family oriented site).

Note that there are plenty of excellent reef systems around that don't use fiji pink sand, and that some are even bare bottom.

Basile

I have two tanks, one has a 3.5"-4.5" bed and the fish dig around in it too much and burry live rock and what not... so when I did my new tank I made the sand bed 1.5"-2" and am completely happy with that depth. I still have all the sand critters (worms, dusters, etc) but none of the fish seem inclined to dig around as much with the shallower sand bed.

Thats a good tips thanks, i was going for a shallow bed , but now i have another good reason for it. thanks. What kind of sand would you suggest thats also my question, Tonga tropic eden flakes , CaribSea SeaFlor ,Black sand and white sand mix,Fiji pink, Aragonite live , thanks.

You actually have a fairly wide range when it comes to sandbeds. My personal choice would be aragonite sand, either under 1" or over 4", using a grade or two above the super fine "sugar sand". I would not mix grain sizes.

However, I wouldn't call anyone else wrong when it comes to sandbeds, no matter what hey close.

What kind; Tonga tropic eden flakes , CaribSea SeaFlor ,Black sand and white sand mix,Fiji pink, Aragonite live?? thanks.

DaveK

"... What kind; Tonga tropic eden flakes , CaribSea SeaFlor ,Black sand and white sand mix,Fiji pink, Aragonite live?? ..."

That's why I just said aragonite sand. I don't think it really matters, except from the standpoint of how it looks. I will say lighter sands tend to show dirt and algae more. Pick the one that has the looks you like.

jerry26

This is a quote i found;

Any thoughts on that????

lawl.

ive used crushed coral, sugar sand and special grade. i dont think ill ever change from special grade.

Basile

I just came back from picking up my stuff from the UPS store, and my sand is sooooooooooooo cool!!!!! Very pretty,Tropic Eden Tonga miniflakes and flakes. With these pinkish pebbles really nice stuff i can't tank the guy enough who suggested that to me. i can't even remember now who did either lol and from which sites lol. When i set up everything i'll have a shot of it for now its stays in its bag, its not live sand no. I have to rinse it before using it.Cost me $ 410.00

te-sandgroup1.jpg

IMG_5941.jpg

IMG_5940.jpg

Got ya!Thanks!

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
how much sand you ahve depends what u want in it. if you get digging critters, 1-2" sand beds wont get it. If you dont, 1-2" sandbed is fine. I bought 80 lbs of Dry Sand from Reefcleaners.org for my new 75. its got a decent mix of small particles and medium to large grains. some of the smaller particalse do get blown around by the wp40 i have in the tank, but thats to be expected with a powerhead that powerful. you can go with name brands or go with cheap generic. Small or large particals, or even bare bottom. There is no science to marine aquariums. its an art. You have to visualize what you want to see when you look at the tank, then buy the materials to make that happen. So long as its Araginite sand, not dolamite gravel or crushed oyster shells, but real sand, you can pick what u want. I have some black and white mixed sand in my 65 and it looks cool. i have pure white sand in my 75. Both are live sand, both originated in the ocean from different parts of the world. If you want to be a purest and get exactly the sand rock and fish from a particular part of the world, Good, great have fun with that. Im not so OCD as all that.

Steve L

I have a 150 and a 30 with the really fine sugar sand, and I have a 35 and a 70 with the larger crushed coral. The fine sugar sand is always dirty and constantly gets blown around by the power heads. I'm always taking a net and scooping various kinds of debris from the fine sand tanks just to keep it from looking like a junk yard. And forget about using a vacuum siphon because you'll suck up the sand with the water.

The larger particles of sand stays where you put it. It's not good for critters that like to bury themselves such as sifting stars and conch's, but the sifting fish like gobies and even clowns just love to pick up the pebbles and move them around. My goby has a nice burrow for himself and he's always moving rocks out of it, and my tomato clown has a little burrow as well that he sleeps in at night.

It's all a personal preference. The sugar sand looks great when it's clean, but keeping it that way isn't easy. The heavier grained sand seems to be a lot less work.

SantaMonica

PREMIUM
Something you don't see much is calcite sand, a form of calcium carbonate that does not dissolve much at aquarium pH. This means it would not buffer pH, but it also means it would not slowly dissolve away.

Nightfall

This is a good thread and timely. I just bought 27 pounds of dry rock made by caribsea its not live rock so no hitchers or anything and has not seen water yet...also picked up a 40lbs bag of aragonite like I have in my 3 gallon nano. I had already picked up 3 5lbs bags of caribsea ocean direct live sand that is really fine and sand like compared to the medium aragonite. So here is the big question. Should I mix the 2 types to make my sandbed or stick to all aragonite for my 20 gallon tank? If mix then what ratio is recommended? Do I have to wash the aragonite like I had to wash silca sand for a freshwater tank?

If its not to be mixed will just use the 15lbs of small live sand for my 10 gallon and the 40 aragonite in my 20.

Paul B

I can't vote because I use dolomite gravel but that looks similar to that Grand Select you pictured.

Basile

I can't vote because I use dolomite gravel but that looks similar to that Grand Select you pictured.

Thanks well so far so good its works very well and lots of critter in it now and i'm not disturbing it. We just had a lecture at OVAS are local club and like Albert Thiel ; Frank Aguirre told us keep are sand alive and don't syphon the life out of it or we'll have problems in the long run. So no i'm not a cleaning lady with the vacuum every sunday lol.