Temp Swings

Ugh. So just when I thought everything was good at 79 Degrees, last night I thought things were a little warm, turned on my digital thermometer and it was at 86 degrees. So I unplugged what I thought was a faulty heater for the entire night. Temp 8 hours later.....85.7 Degrees. Weather here in upstate NY has been in the mid to high 60's. My apartment was quite warm when I got home put on the AC, but not for my tank to be that warm!

Idk weather to buy another heater or if I should buy a chiller when I get out of work today.

I'm getting frustrated, and when I get frustrated I buy stuff. These heat swings have been making me lean more toward getting an Apex controller.

saltfan

Are you sure your digital thermometer is correct? for your temp to only drop 3 tenths of a degree in 8 hrs. doesnt seem right. I would get another one to compare it to. Also I would leave it on at all times so ya can check it any time ya walk by or when viewing. How does the live stock look? 7 degree temp swings can be devastating.

Everything looks great in the tank. Its a $10 digital thermometer and I have the wire about halfway down inside the tank with the temp sensor on it. I'm also using LED's and not any kind of light that gives off heat.

Mike Johnson

Years ago I thought I was having a temp problem only to find out I was having a thermometer problem. More recently I was having a temp problem and it ended up being a pump that was overheating.

During the spring and fall when temps are changing it's critical to keep an eye of the temperature of your tank. Not turning off your HVAC unless you know how it's going to affect your tank. Keeping your house the same temperature goes a long way in keeping things constant.

Since most of us keep our house at a different temp during the summer than the winter, it's crucial to keep up on our tank temps.

I hope its only a thermometer problem....but then again, that worries me cause I unplugged my heater last night thinking it was the heater 0.0 i hope the temp didn't drop too much.

saltfan

Like I said get another thermometer to compare to even a $3 floater before you have a real issue if its your thermometer and you unplugged your heater your gonna have an issue if its your heater and ya plug it in your gonna have an issue. If those check out then do what Mike suggests and start looking for a faulty pump.