Temp Crash!!!!!!!

EdgeKrusher

So I woke up this morning to a delightful little treat. Seems sometime during the middle of the night my heater decided it had had enough, and quit working. The temp in the tank was at about 72 deg, and my Ocellaris was swimming on it's side gasping, my Royal gramma was nowhere to be seen. All my corals where discharging this thick mucus.
I looked at the heater, the light was on but no one was home. Seriously the LED light was on but the whole heater was cold. Luckily I just bought a Pro-Temp 100watt Titanium heater, so I threw that in and had the temp up 2 degrees by the time I left this morning, but still I'm anxious to see what happens to the tank. I was usning a Tronic 50 W heater for over a year, I assumed that a Hagen heater would last longer. :flaming:

BoomerD

Really bites! As you may remember. I went through something similar about 2 months ago...lost about 70% of my fish, and many smails...all sue to a crappy heater. The Tronics should be pretty good. I hadn't heard of any problems with them. I had an Ebo-Jager decide to quit working right, but apparently whatever it was, it seems to have re-calibrated o.k. I've had horrible luck with the titanium heaters. I've had 2 of the Won Bros. just quit working in less than a year, and the Gen-X Titanium heater that crashed my tank was only about a month old. I like glass heaters better I think...
Yes, I KNOW, they can & do fail in the same ways...
Anyway Edge, hopefully everything will pull out o.k. I didn't lose any corals or anemones during my crash, but all the softies did put off a thick mucus as they came back...

EdgeKrusher

I think that a breif stop at home during luch will either break my heart, or stop my worrying, and cut down on my anxiety. This titanium heater is a Won Bros, I've heard mostly good about them, but I'll keep an eye on it.

angnak

Sorry to hear that. Just wondering what some back plans could be for the rest of us out here? I know maybe go with two heaters just in case one goes down you have a back up, but is there anything else? I have a thermo. that sounds an alarm when to temp gets to hot or cold, but if you are asleep you couldn't hear it. I am not to familiar with any equipment that could prevent this and was just wondering. Sorry to jump in like this but I thought this might be a good thread to bring that up.

Scooterman

Being so hot down here, I really don't need heaters in the summer but I do keep one in at all times, I have two I usually keep in the tank during the winter & a third for make-up water, none are of the same make, the titanium seems to come on and off whenever it wants, the Ebo seems ok.

Last edited:

EdgeKrusher

Just got back from checking the tank. Everything looks good, the temp is good at 80.3 deg A few of the smaller baby shrooms are a little white, but maybe they'll pull around. Thanks for all the comments. I don't have room right now for another heater in my tank. It's a solid idea by the way.

EdgeKrusher

Thanks. Yeah everything is looking good. I would do two heaters, but given that I have a 12 gallon tank I don't think that's an option. A sump is on the way but, not until later this summer.