Tell me what you really think

Photo taken last night on a 300D 400 ISO 100mm Macro lens
with no flash.
3072 x 2048 in JPG format. changed dpi to 600 and then shrunk down to 72 dpi for web with a frame.

Your comments are important to me so I can learn and get better.
By the way I did a printout of this at 600 dpi which double the image size and can't tell it was from an ink jet printer. I am happy about that as still fine tuning the color manager in PS7 for printing.

957LNH2webF.jpg

Thanks in advance for your input.

Last edited:

ReefLady

Staff member
I think that's a wonderful shot. As a "student" of mine, I'm obligated to tell you that you should have front-focused just a tiny hair to get better sharpness on the nose and GSP's, but that's all academic... it's an awesome capture.

Love that bokeh from the 100 macro, eh? :)

ReefLady

Staff member
Whoops, on second look, I take it back. Looks like you front-focused just like I taught ya, but 1 more stop of aperture would have done it. Still academic, still an awesome shot.

Travis,
Could not get him to hold still for 1 more f stop. :(
So like I was trained to do It, it's better to get a shot then no shot. :)
Also the Thirds rule was popping into my head while shooting this.
I am working on it and hope to get better sooner than later.

ReefLady

Staff member
You are definitely getting better, no doubt about it. You really did focus just right and the composition is just lovely. If one more stop of aperture would have ruined the shot, then I would say you made the perfect decision- because any knock on that depth of field is just really, really nitpicking.

What I like best is that you can tell me what you were thinking and the decisions you made and why... that's when you become the photographer instead of the person pushing the shutter button, and that's the big step that will make all the difference. It already has.

T

Wow thanks every one.
My head just grew a couple of inches there.
I know what I am lacking just can't seem to get the exact shot I want.

drdrew

"I know what I am lacking just can't seem to get the exact shot I want."

welcome to photography. when you hate your own images more than everyone else does, then you've arrived!

EdgeKrusher

What are you when everyone says your photos are great, except you think they are garbage? I've been reading books, and checking out the internet, but they aren't improving. Even with Travis's help and suggestions my pics still look like a hung over college student took them. LOL I guess it's the lense I got. No it's probably the shutter button pusher, damn that person. ;)

Dave,
That picture is great, can you send some of that talent over this way? LOL

ReefLady

Staff member
In your case, it's the lens. That's the help and suggestions I've been offering you for some time, and AFAIK you haven't taken that advice. Get yourself a good lens, please.

Brucey

Hey bd. Well i don't know much about photography but i do know that's one fine photograph.
Brucey

Originally posted by EdgeKrusher
What are you when everyone says your photos are great, except you think they are garbage? I've been reading books, and checking out the internet, but they aren't improving. Even with Travis's help and suggestions my pics still look like a hung over college student took them. LOL I guess it's the lense I got. No it's probably the shutter button pusher, damn that person. ;)

Dave,
That picture is great, can you send some of that talent over this way? LOL

Well I don't have much to spare for sure.
but here is some for ya anyway...~~~~~~~~~oooOOO))))>

What Camera do you guys use? and if any gals the same question for you.