Tank turned 49 this year

Paul B

So I went to the bone guy and the nurse took the information and all the nonsense. I asked her if she thought this Dr. was the best guy for this job and she said he is replacing her hip on Tuesday. I figured he was OK.
So the Dr. comes in and twists my leg. After him and my wife pried me off of the ceiling he told me I needed a new knee. I said, I know, thats why I am here.
He then told me it is very painful and will take 6 months to heal. I know and who cares, just replace the thing. It isn't getting any better.
He then gave me a gift certificate to Home Depot to pick out the type of wood I want it to be made out of.

After he told me all about sawing the bone, cutting, chopping, screwing and all that Doctor stuff, the nurse comes back in to ask me what is my preferred type of alcoholic drink. (no Really!!) I told her Grand Marnier. I figured if the Doc was buying I am not going to say the cheap stuff.
I assumed this surgery was going to be a party so I am all in. I was never asked that before a surgery and now I can't wait.

I will have this done in Stony Brook Hospital which is supposed to be a good hospital with great candy machines.
I doubt I will be able to decorate for Christmas or put up a tree but we will see. My Birthday is also Christmas day which is cool because my wife will have to cater to me .
rolleyes.gif

I also won't be able to play Santa this year. Maybe Santa will show up for me.
biggrin.gif

DaveK

He then gave me a gift certificate to Home Depot to pick out the type of wood I want it to be made out of.

That made my day. Thanks.

As for knee joint replacements, while the full rehab took the better part of a year for my mom, they did give her more than 10 years of being fully mobile. Good luck with yours.

However, I would avoid that 2nd rate Home Depot lumber, and get some kind of high end hardwood from a specialized supplier. (grin)

Nobbygas

So I went to the bone guy and the nurse took the information and all the nonsense. I asked her if she thought this Dr. was the best guy for this job and she said he is replacing her hip on Tuesday. I figured he was OK.
So the Dr. comes in and twists my leg. After him and my wife pried me off of the ceiling he told me I needed a new knee. I said, I know, thats why I am here.
He then told me it is very painful and will take 6 months to heal. I know and who cares, just replace the thing. It isn't getting any better.

After he told me all about sawing the bone, cutting, chopping, screwing and all that Doctor stuff, the nurse comes back in to ask me what is my preferred type of alcoholic drink. (no Really!!) I told her Grand Marnier. I figured if the Doc was buying I am not going to say the cheap stuff.
I assumed this surgery was going to be a party so I am all in. I was never asked that before a surgery and now I can't wait.

I will have this done in Stony Brook Hospital which is supposed to be a good hospital with great candy machines.
I doubt I will be able to decorate for Christmas or put up a tree but we will see. My Birthday is also Christmas day which is cool because my wife will have to cater to me .
rolleyes.gif

I also won't be able to play Santa this year. Maybe Santa will show up for me.
biggrin.gif
Hope it all goes well, otherwise you'll spend the rest of your days walking in tight circles !
I hate the mornings in hospital. You're fast asleep, and then at 7am prompt, the door to your room bangs open, and someone stomps in, and wakes you up. They make you sit up, plump yer pillow, and then stomp out again, leaving you awake, sat there, just wondering. Then you start to doze off.....and ten minutes later the door bangs open again, and a Nurse stomps in and sticks a needle in your arm, then she stomps out again, leaving you wide awake now. Waiting and wondering. You start to doze off again, and the door bangs open, and in someone stomps with your breakfast, when all you want to do is to go back to sleep again ! The stress this brings on is incredible, yet they'll do this every morning....without fail.

Paul B

So today I went to a hand doctor. I had a few hand surgeries and being that I wave to all the Pretty girls, I wore out my hands. (The girls just look at me and say, "What are you looking at, you Geezer)
But anyway, the hand doctor looked at my hands and I told her a few stories until she sent me for a X Ray. The XRay girl told me to put my hands on the machine while she went into the other room to take the picture. I am waiting and she finally takes the picture. Then I hear this big scream from her. I figured she saw something so horrible on my XRay that they were going to have to amputate my hands and replace them with pruning shears like Edward Scizzorhands. I yelled "WHATS WRONG". She says, "THERE IS A SPIDER ON THE SCREEN". "CAN YOU COME AND KILL IT?". So much for not being a Girly Girl. So O killed the spider and said to her, why don't we put it on my hand while she takes the XRay to see what the Dr. says. She didn't think that was a good idea.

So the Doctor girl, who was younger than my Daughter asked me if I wanted a cortozone shot. I said, I don't know, will that help. She said she didn't know, but it can't hurt. I thought the Doctor was supposed to tel me what I needed but maybe this is the new medicine. So she sprays my wrist with this stuff that reads "Pain Ease". Now you know that isn't going to work. So she sticks this spike into my wrist, then takes it out and sticks it into a different place and says this may hurt. Like Duh.
She says, your hand may feel cold. I said, wait a minute, I can't hear you because I am scraping the ice off of my fingers.

So I said, whats wrong with my hand. She didn't know but said come back in 5 weeks and we will give you an MRI.
So in other words I wasted my entire morning.

From there I figured I would go to the Veterans Administration which was 15 miles away. In the Home Depot here now they only give Veterans discounts if you have a service connected injury or disability which I have but I never got it on my card. But now I do so I can get my Veterans discount there. I am spending thousands there a month because of all the building I am doing so what the heck. :D

Paul B

My mandarin has a new hobby. When I feed the tank, he comes out and grabs a big piece of clam and goes into a cave to take his time trying to eat it. He has been doing this for a couple of weeks and I have never seen a mandarin doing that at every meal. Of course he hunts the rest of the day.

Paul B

So my tank has been in the new location for about 3 months now and so far no diseases or losses. I do have a tiny ozone generator which is to small to do anything but I put it on just for fun. It only puts out 50 mg/hr of ozone, my old one put out 200 mg/hr so this one won't even give my pods a tan much less kill any parasites. I know many people feel it is ozone that keeps my tank immune, but that is just silly. It is the food with the live bacteria in it, and the fact that I add fish without any quarantine at all from anywhere with no regard to parasites. That is what keeps my tank immune.

The amount of fish diseases on these forums is mind boggling and If I had to worry about all those diseases I would have packed this hobby up years ago and dumped it in the same place I throw out my Oldsmobile parts.

Virtually all fish in the sea have all the diseases that there are. It's our job to get the fish healthy asap so the fishes fantastic immune system can take care of it. Fish in the sea probably never get sick unless they have been injured or had their head removed by a bigger fish.
Fish diseases for me and other "older" people is a non issue and never thought about. As I have said 87 times, fish need parasites to stay healthy, as a matter of fact, parasites need fish for the same reason and there are viruses that need parasites to stay relevant. It's all normal and they all work together as they have since Nancy Pelosi was born.

If our fish gets sick, it is our fault, no one else.
Fish also need hiding places and they hate PVC pipes. If you feel you have to quarantine, please use some rock or something that looks like it was under the sea like something from Jimmy Hoffa's shoe. :eek:

But if you do quarantine for an extended amount of time, your fish will always be at risk of some sort of disease. I didn't make that up, the fish did.

Paul B

It seems that I cured my wife of the night time pains from MS. I got this from Montel Williams who also has MS. I use a juicer to juice mostly fresh beets, about 5 large ones and to that I add berries, ginger (about a 5" piece) and tart apple juice. Sometimes I add plums, carrots, or other vegetables.

She drinks about 4 OZ a day over three doses. So far it has been about 3 weeks and no more night time pains as these things are anti inflammatory s.
Now if I can cure all her other MS issues, that would be great.

Prizapro and fresh water dips don't seem to work. I tried

Paul B

My very cool vacuum enhancing invention. All the dirt goes into the five gallon bucket and just about nothing goes to the filter on the vacuum itself. You just spin off the lid on the bucket and it lifts right up so you can dump it out.
I use it on my radial arm saw to collect sawdust. I just emptied it and there wasn't even a teaspoon of dust in the bottom vacuum part.

Paul B

Today I went to my first orientation at the Long Island Aquarium. I will volunteer there for the winter and you have to go to a 6 hour class to make sure you know how to talk to people and not be a Perv.
The first part was the touch tank where they explained to us what a hermit crab, starfish and clam are.
It was exciting and I was on the edge of my seat. (even though I was standing up) Then we went through the bird and butterfly exhibit and to the ray feeding tank. After that we were in a classroom for a talk. We were paired up with someone we didn't know and after five minutes we had to tell all we knew about the other person. I was paired up with an older gentleman, even older than me. He was a Korean War Veteran. So I asked him his name, then he got a phone call that he went outside to answer. He came back five minutes later where the instructor said. "OK Time is up"..
So I had to make up stuff about him .
Next week we go to the back scenes of the place which is what I am interested in. I have been back there before but not as a volunteer.
This place rescues seals, turtles, dolphins, whales and I assume Supermodels. They will rescue anything and they take it back to the aquarium where they have facilities to treat these animals. They are responsible for all of New York State.
I am kind of excited to "work" there as a Volunteer because I like to talk and speak to people. But I will talk to penguins or even wood.

Paul B

Today I will run my diatom filter on the tank while I work on other projects. Some algae came back in the tank and my algae scrubber has an algae growth an inch thick. That is probably because for a month or two I didn't rinse the frozen food, but I will start doing that again. I wanted to grow the sponges and other microfauna which I think I accomplished. Now I want to clean it up again. I also have not changed any water since I moved here and with the gravel and all the stuff I brought here from my other house I am sure a lot of stuff rotted in there and turned into algae.

It's all good and natural and everything is growing and looks extremely healthy. The pipefish are full of eggs and the fireclowns constantly spawn.
I don't have any other paired fish now so that's all the spawning I have. I want some more interesting, small fish but have not found any yet.
All the corals look better than they ever did.

Next week, weather permitting I will collect some water. I like to change some water about 5 times a year and it's due. :cool: