Tank turned 49 this year

Paul B

Two weeks ago my lawyer who worked on my move sent me a check for the remainder of the escrow from my old house and after a few days we didn't get it. He sent it through FEDEX. So he stopped the check.

Then he sent us another one through FEDEX and we never got it. But we did get an E Mail from FEDEX telling us they can't find our street.

Now the FEDEX facility is almost walking distance from here so I went there to see what the problem is.
I go in and they have posters all over the place showing the FEDEX truck in Istabmbul, The North Pole, Tibet, Tim Buc Too, Coozs Bay Oregon, Tattooee where Yoda lives etc. So I said to the girl there, who looked like she just got up because it was Sunday Morning, "Where is my letter?

She said I need a tracking number. I don't have a tracking number but I live right near here and I got a note saying you can't find my street and If you stand on the roof of this building, you can see my house.

"The driver said he can't find your street". Maybe he needs glasses.

So I said, "If I was on top of a mountain in Tibet, 150 yards north of a Sherpa who lives with a Yeti with the heartbreak of Psorisis I could get a letter but if I live down the block, I can't"

Send the letter to that Yeti, and I will pick it up from him!

Paul B

My tank is running well and looks like I never moved it except some of the gorgonians don't look happy. They are healthy but grew for years in a certain way and when you move them, they hate you because they were growing in a place with the right amount of light and current and now have to grow in a different direction. That is fine because they have to live with me, I don't have to live with them.
My porcelain crab is still in there happily filtering the water and all the fish are very happy looking. The copperband can't stop smiling.
There are no LFSs around here and I am used to having them all around me so I have to drive 60 miles to get what I like. I went there last Sunday but they didn't have anything I wanted.
I will have to do something soon because the tank is literally 6" from a huge duct which in the winter will be very hot and in the summer is very cold.
I need to get time to insulate it because the tank will be in a small room, or closet with that duct and the furnace/air conditioner. I am not sure how the temperature of that room will fluctuate but right now the tank goes from almost 90 degrees to 75. I have not yet gotten the time to get the thing adjusted yet. I know people worry if the temperature swings a tenth of a degree in a month but those people have Girly fish. Healthy fish are not that delicate.
Right now I have not built the walls around the tank but I will start that soon. I will make part of the insulation on the duct in a way that I can remove some of it because I may need that heat in there. I am not sure how the temperature of that space will change in the winter as it is a new building and no one has lived in it through a winter yet. It's a ground level room that is made of concrete with no windows.
Tonight I plan to drive on the beach and collect water with my newly designed water collection hose thing. I have enough buckets and room in my Jeep to get about 35 gallons. The beach is five minutes away so I can always get more but I don't have much more capacity to put it. I just need to wait a couple of days until it heats up then dump it in.
I normally don't change water to often but the tank is in my workshop and it has been getting saw dust in it and there are quite a few dead Beatles, lightning bugs, flies etc floating in there. There is also a film on the top of the water because I have not hooked up my skimmer, ozonizer or surface skimmer yet and not sure if I will get to it this year. (I am also putting in an elevator, but I am not doing that myself) I have a few more closets to build and walls to re locate. Our living room wall I will add a fireplace and make that a stone wall. The master bedroom I am ordering barn wood to finish one wall and I am building a huge barn door in the middle of it, just for looks because it won't open into anything. Our laundry room needs to be demolished because I don't like the way they designed it. Remember this is a new house that was just finished a few weeks ago but I think the architect was on LSD when he designed some of it. I hate wasted space.
The bed I built didn't fall apart yet.

DaveK

I know what you mean about no decent LFS store in your area. While I don't need to travel 60 miles, a trip to anyplace that is decent still takes at least 45 min. It wasn't that many years ago where there were soe only 10 or 15 min away, but between price of the online sellers, and the massive chain stores, and the recession many of then just couldn't hold on.

I wish I could get everything locally, but it's become very difficult for most equipment. Most stores only carry low end equipment nowadays. You ask about something like a Kessil or AI lighting fixture and they look at you like your from outer space. Even something like an Eheim classic canister filter gets a response from most stores of "we don't carry that".

Livestock is a bit better. Several of the stores do have good selections there, but you do have to hit them at the right time. Selection can vary quite a bit. Generally, I have been able to get fish, corals, and clean up crews locally. That's still a 45 min to a 1 1/2 hour drive, but it's doable. Since I'm retired now, it's easy to make a day of it, and I can go on a weekday when traffic is comparatively light.

I've got to agree with you on a lot of the new construction today. It seems they look for two things, how quick and cheep can they build it, and how much glitz can they add without spending any more money on construction. I can't complain too much about my place. It's a simple, to the point, town house condo. Even so every time something went, whatever I replaced it with was about 5x better.

Anyway, good luck with all you new construction projects.

Paul B

Last night I took my new Jeep Renegade on the beach to collect water. The thing should have no trouble in sand because it says "Trail Rated" and has a setting for sand, mud, snow and rocks so I would assume it will travel on those substances.
So I put it in sand mode and we go on to the beach which is deep, loose sand. I went about 100 yards and backed up to the water which was not easy because the Jeep wants to follow the ruts in the sand and it is almost impossible to deviate out of those ruts.

It was low tide so the water was way down the dune. The Jeep had no problems getting there.
We filled the back with 40 gallons of water and now it is a lot heavier.

I tried to get the thing off the beach and it just sunk. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, two inches back and three forward, again and again. The people on the beach were all yelling advice to me like I didn't know what I was doing. Of course they didn't know I had a snow plowing business with a Jeep for ten years. or that I had 400lbs of seawater in the back, With my friend pushing, I finally got back to the sand ruts and out of there.

The next time I collect water there, I will only collect 20 gallons and only at high tide. :rolleyes:

Paul B

Yesterday we took a Lighthouse cruise with our friends out east on Orient Point. (This is one of the things old people do)
It was on a high speed jet boat that cruised at about 40 knots, which is fast for a boat that carries 200 people.

We went to about 9 lighthouses and also went around Plum Island where they used to do experiments on animal diseases but everyone knows they were working with Anthrax, Alka Seltzer and other wonderful chemicals. There is an incinerator there where they used to cremate the cows, pigs and goats after they infected them. Now they place is for sale and you can live in the exact spot where they did that. I think that is a great buy. :eek:

This year they stopped people from going there for any reason which makes the place even more inviting to live on. :rolleyes:

I think I will pass.. Actually when, or if they make the place for housing you still can't go near the labs. Not that I want to.

I was always fascinated with lighhouses and a few of them are supposed to be haunted, if you believe in such things. There is only one lighthouse in the US that is still owned by the Federal Government and that one is on Plum Island. That is because no one is allowed there. Isn't that special!

I would like to put a vegetable garden there. :confused:

This one, (not on the tour because it is 100 miles away) Execution Lighthouse is in the Long Island Sound and I spent many hours near it, in the water under it or on it. I went there a few times as a consultant as the guy who bought it for a dollar from the Govt. wanted to make it into a bed and breakfast. But I may have talked him out of it when I discovered it was like a million bucks to put a power cable to it. There used to be one but no one knows what happened to it and I can't find it with SCUBA. There is also no water there or sewer. They used to be allowed to dump the sewage into the water but they frown on that now. George Washington signed to have the thing built.

This is me and my main squeeze on top of the thing.

When we came home I decided to continue building my workshop and I shredded a bunch of patent applications from things I worked on all my life but never had time to finish. Some of them would have made great innovations and made good money but other things got in the way.

It is what it is. You can't keep everything. :rolleyes:

Paul B

All the lighthouses, including this one still have light. But this one now has a big electronic light running up next to the original light as whale oil is expensive now and the whales frown on that sort of thing. But the thing was maned up until the 60s. You can see those cormorant birds guarding it.

The staircase up into the light collapsed into a tangled mess of metal and bird carcasses and was replaces a few years ago so you can still get up there.
Someone also stole the Fresnel lens inside the turret and are probably using it on their reef.

Lighthouses are cool and I love them. This guy has a reef and to collect water he just holds his coffee cup outside. :eek: He must also have a really good dehumidifier inside to keep it dry. :D

frisbee

Isn't that just a poster you can find at the mall? I've seen it framed in many different offices, body shops etc over the years.

Paul B

So today I walked into my workshop/fishroom/workshop/ManCave and I looked at my tank. OMG!! The tank was totally cloudy and the fishes eyes were all smoky. Every one of them.
Then my wife, who followed me in said "Whats on Fire?" .. AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGggggg. The tank wasn't cloudy and the fishes eyes weren't smoky. The place was filled up with smoke. Ahhhhhhgggggggggggg. There was also a big puddle under the tank which I jumped right into to start unplugging things. I looked around and couldn't feel anything hot or leaking. But then, my electricians keen eye saw this. (see picture below) Now I went to High School and everything so I knew this wasn't good. There was water coming out of the brand new electrical outlet and the pumps and other things plugged into it were not running. I checked the breaker and it had tripped.

But I still couldn't figure out where the water was coming from. I replaced the receptacles and melted plugs and turned the power on.

AAAAAAAHHHHhhhhhhhggggggggAAAaaaaaaaa Flood. Water was shooting out of a pipe coupling near the top of the skimmer and hitting the ceiling. Then it was traveling down the side of the tank right into the outlet. The PVC coupling that was used for many years completely split in half and most of the water that was supposed to go into the skimmer, went into my outlets.

I then turned on my really huge, Manly exhaust fan full force until my ears were clean of wax and cleared out the smoke.

Now I fixed the coupling and electric and all is again well. :D

Paul B

Funny you should mention that Dave. Today I am doing a few projects in my new place. I started doing some plumbing to connect my DIY ATO to the water supply through the RO/DI and resins and to my tank, at the same time I am taping the bathroom so I can paint it I just built the thing and and am wiring it. also built shelves for it. But in between that I am staining some ratty looking "New" wood to look like barn wood and I must say, and I must, that it is coming out better than my wildest dreams. OK, my second wildest dreams.
When I am waiting for different coats to dry on this wood and the bathroom I do other things as I hate wasted time. I ate 6:00am this morning and have not stopped yet so I will eat lunch and dinner at the same time. If I add oatmeal to my linguini and clams I can also call it tomorrow's breakfast. :cool:

This wood I rescued from 2 large skids outside a furniture store.

This is my finished "Barn wood". I can buy barnwood but the farmers found out how valuable it is so they charge a fortune for it. I will cover my Master bedroom wall with this and there will be a barn door in the middle as the headboard. My place is very industrial/Steampunk looking

Nobbygas

So today I walked into my workshop/fishroom/workshop/ManCave and I looked at my tank. OMG!! The tank was totally cloudy and the fishes eyes were all smoky. Every one of them.
Then my wife, who followed me in said "Whats on Fire?" .. AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHGGGGGGGGGGGGggggg. The tank wasn't cloudy and the fishes eyes weren't smoky. The place was filled up with smoke. Ahhhhhhgggggggggggg. There was also a big puddle under the tank which I jumped right into to start unplugging things. I looked around and couldn't feel anything hot or leaking. But then, my electricians keen eye saw this. (see picture below) Now I went to High School and everything so I knew this wasn't good. There was water coming out of the brand new electrical outlet and the pumps and other things plugged into it were not running. I checked the breaker and it had tripped.

But I still couldn't figure out where the water was coming from. I replaced the receptacles and melted plugs and turned the power on.

AAAAAAAHHHHhhhhhhhggggggggAAAaaaaaaaa Flood. Water was shooting out of a pipe coupling near the top of the skimmer and hitting the ceiling. Then it was traveling down the side of the tank right into the outlet. The PVC coupling that was used for many years completely split in half and most of the water that was supposed to go into the skimmer, went into my outlets.

I then turned on my really huge, Manly exhaust fan full force until my ears were clean of wax and cleared out the smoke.

Now I fixed the coupling and electric and all is again well. :D

Tsk, the problem is those pesky Colonial flat two pin plugs ! How can an advanced country still have those death plugs is beyond me.

Paul B

It's because we invented the thing and like to hold on to relics. Like our measuring system.
We have wrenches 3/16ths, 1/4", 3/8ths, 7/16ths, 1/2", 9/16ths etc. Ridiculous. Now we also have the metric system so it is really complicated. Pick one or the other. I need a 1/2" wrench and pick up a 10mm because they are almost the same. We need twice as many tools. I like the metric system but too many people won't change.

Nobbygas

It's because we invented the thing and like to hold on to relics. Like our measuring system.
We have wrenches 3/16ths, 1/4", 3/8ths, 7/16ths, 1/2", 9/16ths etc. Ridiculous. Now we also have the metric system so it is really complicated. Pick one or the other. I need a 1/2" wrench and pick up a 10mm because they are almost the same. We need twice as many tools. I like the metric system but too many people won't change.
Don't laugh, but here in Germany, despite being a metric country, all plumbing stuff is sold using the old Imperial measurements! It's something to do with the end of WW2, and British companies coming over to help re-build the country! True dit!