Tank turned 49 this year

Paul B

I built an algae scrubber and installed it but I didn't light it yet so it is just pouring water over a screen hanging over the tank. No leaks yet. Well there were some, but I fixed them before I had to order a canoe. I am putting in my barn wood wall today with the barn doors in the center but first I am doing the electrical work. (I know a good electrician.:rolleyes:)
I am adding a switch near the bed and 2 steampunk sconces that will be over the barn doors and to the sides. Right now I just have holes in the walls for the wiring.

Paul B

The lights will not be voice operated. I am not quite that lazy yet that I can't reach over 2' to shut off the lights. Of course I can tell Alexa to shut them off. :cool:

Jaxredsoxfan. (I guess you like the Mets) I am old, so my tank is old. :D

Paul B

I got my newly designed diatom filter motor yesterday and ran it all night. The thing works beautifully and I will thank the guy who builds them. It is so much better than the original diatom filter.
It is plastic so it doesn't rust. You can run it continousely and it doesn't leak. My tank is so clear that the fish are freeking out because they think they will fall to the bottom.
I am eliminating the algae and it is slowly dying so this filter can suck it out. Thats because i don't think inside that silly box. If I was inside the box I would have changed the water, then came on here all beside myself with that look on my face. You know the look. :confused: Thats the look people get when they get algae and they keep changing water and the algae keeps growing longer until they give up and open a produce stand from their tank, then when they run out of water to change, they become the manager of the french fry machine at Burger King. :rolleyes:
The algae will leave when it wants to. Unless of course you keep changing the water. :cool:
But thats what that box is for. All that excess algae.

Yesterday I bought a baby watchman gobi, an algae bleeny, a big decorator crab and something else, but I forgot what it was. I threw them all in there and they are loving the new place. My long spine urchin, that I got as big as a marble is really liking the algae as he never gets any. He grew about 6" but I have no idea what he was eating.
But anyway, all is well. I hope everything is great with you guys and girls, if anyone is mistakingly reading this

saintsreturn

house is looking sharp and the tank seems to be a continuous adventure! Congrats on all the progress and glad you were able to quickly get that smoke situation under control!

I am guilty of your comment on the algae issue, but its amazing how much better it has become when i just sat back and owned it :D I just do light maintenance on it now and leave the water alone while the tank does its thing.

PS, i am not showing my wife that barn door idea... it looks sharp, along with the bed, but i have enough projects already LOL.

Paul B

LOL. I will soon be starting on the living room which will be stone with a bar made from railroad ties (maybe). I already designed the thing but it is still in the tweeking process.
I still need to finish my garage and workshop. I am starting my garage floor soon as soon as I can gert everything out of there. I want to use "Rock Hard " floor "Epoxy" rather than that Home Depot stuff everyone uses. All the people here used it and I am not that impressed.

saintsreturn

If you dont mind, please keep me posted on your floor. I am in the decision process on that as well, although my climate is slightly warmer down here :D

I hate the HD stuff and got quotes on some higher grade products, but I do not know anyone personally who have used them. They run about 4-5.50 a sqft down here (that is installed including diamond grinding). My garage is coming along nicely, its just the floor that remains unknown.

Paul B

My tank had cleared up quite nicely and I can start adding some more corals. Most of the algae is gone and the rest is dying and I will suck it out. Today I also added a temporary light on the algae scrubber to see if it does anything. I also had a small flood. I have been having a lot of floods lately and I am starting to feel like Noah.

I was putting up some sheetrock next to the tank and the sheetrock hit the fitting that comes out of a 7 gallon bucket hanging from the ceiling.
The fitting broke off and the bucket, which was full and started to shoot water all over me and the sheetrock. I had trouble putting down the sheetrock because it was a big piece and I had to wrestle it in the spot to get it there and now water was shooting all over my face so I couldn't see what I was doing. I eventually put down the sheetrock but I was soaked and water continued to pour out of the bucket. I could put my finger on the fitting to stop it but I had nothing to put under it and I didn't want to stay there all night. I let go and ran to get a bucket while the water was shooting out like 3'.
I got the bucket under the hose and collected the rest of the water. Then I got a mop.

The fish are still laughing. :rolleyes:

DaveK

That is my ATO. The water goes into there from the RO/DI and feeds by gravity into a float valve in the tank. Doesn't everyone do that?

Or do they use those Sissy pumps to get water into the tank. Gravity rarely fails and it's cheap to use. :cool:

I use one of those "sissy pumps" as you call them. While gravity doesn't fail float valved do. I had much more trouble with a float valve than I have had with float stitches or optical sensors.

Nobbygas

That is my ATO. The water goes into there from the RO/DI and feeds by gravity into a float valve in the tank. Doesn't everyone do that?

Or do they use those Sissy pumps to get water into the tank. Gravity rarely fails and it's cheap to use. :cool:
My ATO is also gravity fed, but I don't hang a bucket from the ceiling :)

Paul B

Today I had to take my wife to a Neurologist in our old neighborhood so I went to my favorite LFS. I picked up 2 very cool gobies which I have never seen before. I will take pictures when they come out to the front. I also got a pair of bluestripes. The janss pipefish killed my old male bluestripe and these are babies so I may be taking a chance.
My last female died of old age just after I moved here. They only have a lifespan of five years or so.
My algae issue is almost gone and the tank is crystal clear. I will add more corals when I get back to the store. This tank is bigger so I need more livestock.