Tank testing

I have a 10g tank and going to a 40g soon i test Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate weekly and i am going to keep a softie tank with a few fish and 1 bubbletip anemone also doing bi-weekly water changes so far for the 10g. What other things should I start testing for and what test do you recommend?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
If you’re doing a softy tank I think I’d keep it simple, weekly water changes and that should keep up with demand, 5g probably. Make sure you’re light is strong enough for a bta

Blue Space

yeah, don't really need to test Calcium for a softie tank but I don't think it's bad practice to get used to testing all of those either. That's where I think many new-comers to the hobby drop the ball. They get the tank, they get the equipment, the livestock... then when they see that acan they just can't resist they add it to the tank and things are going swimmingly. Then they decide to change their softie tank into a mixed reef tank. When things start dying they say, "Why is my ultra-XXXX coral dying?" and unless it's something obvious such as red bugs or flatworms worms I'm like, "where are your water param's at?". ;)

Then they have to try and learn the testing procedures for each kit instead of testing along from the start. Testing from the beginning (& keeping a log which I can review) gave me more insight as to what my parameters were really doing.

there's probably some great apps out there these days for smart devices (which I should look into) but I just use an old log like this...
TankLog.jpg

Last edited:
yeah, don't really need to test Calcium for a softie tank but I don't think it's bad practice to get used to testing all of those either. That's where I think many new-comers to the hobby drop the ball. They get the tank, they get the equipment, the livestock... then when they see that acan they just can't resist they add it to the tank and things are going swimmingly. Then they decide to change their softie tank into a mixed reef tank. When things start dying they say, "Why is my ultra-XXXX coral dying?" and unless it's something obvious such as red bugs or flatworms worms I'm like, "where are your water param's at?". ;)

Then they have to try and learn the testing procedures for each kit instead of testing along from the start. Testing from the beginning (& keeping a log which I can review) gave me more insight as to what my parameters were really doing.

there's probably some great apps out there these days for smart devices (which I should look into) but I just use an old log like this...
View attachment 50725
Yea i keep a log of my tests but only have tests for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate but once i can get thos tests ill start testing them. I also got my 40 gallon set up with a orbit marine led fixture (current usa) now i am waiting to start puting water in it to start transferring everything from my 10g to the 40g.

Yea i keep a log of my tests but only have tests for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate but once i can get thos tests ill start testing them. I also got my 40 gallon set up with a orbit marine led fixture (current usa) now i am waiting to start puting water in it to start transferring everything from my 10g to the 40g.

Attachments

• Snapchat-219848110.jpg
    Snapchat-219848110.jpg
    707.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Snapchat-1532491207.jpg
    Snapchat-1532491207.jpg
    805.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Snapchat-1128668954.jpg
    Snapchat-1128668954.jpg
    776.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Snapchat-84459788.jpg
    Snapchat-84459788.jpg
    796.5 KB · Views: 2

Blue Space

Regarding testing and logs - I just got setup in Aquarium Note. Though, I read if you have an iPhone use Aquarimate...

Aquarium Note Features:

• Keeping track of water parameters, you can even add custom parameters if the ones you want to measure are not listed.
  • Keeping track of spending, both livestock and equipment.
  • Keeping track of livestock, which you’ve kept, lost or sold and when.
  • Setting reminders for tasks you need to carry out.
  • Creating a wishlist.
  • Calculating volumes.
  • Taking a picture of your water sample next to your colour chart then the App will tell you which colour you are closest too.
  • CO2 readings calculator.
  • Dosage calculator.
  • Visual charts produced of your tanks parameters.
  • Image gallery that allows you to keep track of your tank at various stages.