hi.
my wall is almost complete.
im looking for plans or links to make a stand out of 2x4's or 2x6's
im looking for sturdiness
my tank is 53x18

thanks

vic

corrado007

I built a pretty sturdy stand for my 90gal out of 2x4s and some ply wood. If you check out my chronicle linked in my signature you can see some pics of it through it's construction on page 1 of the chronicle.
HTH
good luck!

PEMfish

If the stand frame will stand up completely on its won without a drop of glue, nail or screw, then its ok. If it is ok and all 2x4s on the upper half do NOT have the largest side facing up then its good. If it has all that and a few other details I don't feel like thinking of then its great.
Here is a drawing of mine, it can't be improved it structurally. Except for some tiny details pacific to the situation. Ignore all the notes.

EDIT: Caught one thing that needs ti improved; The four 2x4s that sit on the ground are wrong in the drawing. The long ones need to be longer to have all 3 legs on them per side.

Attachments

• Stand1.jpg
    Stand1.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 35

Scouter Steve

Make sure that your top 2x4's are sitting on top of your upright 2x4's with the uprights sitting again on top of your lower 2x4's. In other words don't have nails or screws holding the top of your stand up. Weight should not be bearing on nails or screws.
For a 53x18 tank 2x4's are actually overkill. Easy/cheap to get though. So don't waste time on 2x6's.
One thing to check is will your bulkheads clear a 2x4 at the back? I have seen RR tanks where the bulkhead was very close to the back of the tank and a 2x4 was to wide at that point.

PEMfish

I had no problem with that. Just build it well with good long wood screws and you should be fine. If you want you can add a a brace going diagonally in the back square openings. I did that but don't think its necessary.

Scouter Steve

If you are not going to put a skin on the stand you will need to put some bracing in to stop this sway. Simply a block in a couple perpindicular corners will keep the thing stable.

Triggerjay

coral021.jpg

Note the side bracing. 2 2x4's in an L shape. This design gives the stand side shear strength. This is the base I use under all my tanks. Then, if I want it decorative, I wrap it with something like this:

DSC01949.jpg

here is a pic of it during construction:
stand003.jpg

Jason