HELP! Tangs fighting, and a jumping Blenney

Luke Smith

Evening
I brought two tangs from my LFS they advised me to put them in together so they shouldn’t be aggressive against each other unfortunately the powder blue tank keeps chasing the gold rim tang until it hides in a rock, I put a mirror up on one side of the tank that helped at the start but now when the god rim comes out the rock shortly after is chased back, is it a case of just taking the powder blue back to the LFS?
My tank is a redsea 500 with 3 clumps of rock so lots of space to swim about.

This morning I come down to find my flame scooter blenney on the floor are they known for jumping?

DaveK

When it comes to tanks, they tend to fight or chase each other more based upon the color and body shape. Both of you tanga have similar body shapes. You might get better results with something like a yellow tang when the body shape and color are very different.

As for your current tangs, it's likely one will have to go.

Yes, scooter blennies can jump. Stuff like this is why I prefer a cover over my tank.

Consider too that while a RS 500 sounds big, it about enough for one tang at an adult size. Two is pushing things but doable.

Whlle we are on the subject of tangs, also consider that thay are big dirty fish that create a lot of waste products. This can put a lot of stress on the filtration system. You don't have an issue here, but it something to keep in mind.

Luke Smith

Thank you for that advice il take the powder blue back as I was thinking that will be best then may consider a yellow or regal tang, these will be my only tangs as like you say 2 is enough.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Powder blue tang is one of my favorite tangs but he’s a real big D when it comes to tank life.... so much that I don’t put him In my 150DT. I want more peace like the Dali Lama