HELP! Taking over our tank

bap819

This stuff started growing when we switched over to LEDs. After about a week or so with the new lights this hair started to grow all over the back wall. Its been growing and spreading to the rock and coral. It doesn't look like bryopsis which we have had in the past. Please see the pictures and let me know if you know what it is and had to get rid of it. Manual removal has been difficult to keep up with.

Phosphates are coming back zero which I assume is because all the nuisance algae is eating it up. (We have a bubble algae issue at the moment as well) We have the stock set up for the RSM 250 but have replaced the Tunze skimmer and put in the new LEDS. So I'm not sure how people deal with all these algae and phosphate issues without a refugium or sump.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Pat24601

Yep, that's my guess from the picture. Really common. I got rid of it with big regular water changes and phosnet. Wasn't too hard to get rid of.

bap819

Thank you all for your responses!

After more research and your responses, it has to be green hair algae. I guess I always assumed GHA would be green and not brown (rookie mistake). Completely restocked our CUC with four Mexican Turbos, 6 trochus snails, and ten blue leg hermits. We have never tried mexican turbos before, but I heard they are good at munching on the GHA.

We have been doing the manual removal, which helps, and water changes will have to wait two weeks since we are about to go on vacation and the tank will be looked after. But when we get back I'm definitely going to try doing a weekly water change for at least a month or so.

mr_tap_water

There are another two critters that will deafly put a dent in your hair Algae a sea hair or a Long spined urchin both Will deafly do the job in no time , but with the sea hair you would have to take back to the shop after as it will starve to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bap819

There are another two critters that will deafly put a dent in your hair Algae a sea hair or a Long spined urchin both Will deafly do the job in no time , but with the sea hair you would have to take back to the shop after as it will starve to death.

Yes I read about those sea hares, definitely something to keep in mind. However I think there may be something else going on in the tank. Two of the turbos died within 24 hours, (did a 30 min drip acclimation with both) and one of the trochus. I think the other trochus aren't doing so well either. We did a 20% water change yesterday and plan to do another in a week. Also adjusted the skimmer to do a better job hopefully and replace the polishing filter every two days after manual removal of the hair algae.

Pat24601

It may be your hermit crab's that killed your turbos mixing hermits and snails does come with some risk.

Could be. Although I mix hermits with turbos all the time and while they almost certainly become escargot sometimes, mostly they do OK. So, seems kind of quick for both of them to die.

I don't even drip acclimate turbos. I just lobbed them in the tank. Not saying you should, just saying I did.

I have no idea what else it could be though. Possible they just didn't travel well for some reason?

bap819

Could be. Although I mix hermits with turbos all the time and while they almost certainly become escargot sometimes, mostly they do OK. So, seems kind of quick for both of them to die.

I don't even drip acclimate turbos. I just lobbed them in the tank. Not saying you should, just saying I did.

I have no idea what else it could be though. Possible they just didn't travel well for some reason?

Yes I have dealt with the hermit bullies in the past. I honestly think there are only three or four left in the tank and they stay on the back. I made sure to put the snails all in the front where I could keep a good eye on them.

Normally we just add a couple handfuls of water every couple of minutes and then dump them in after like 15-20 min. But this time I didn't want to shock them too much if there was a bunch of bad stuff in the water.

Could the snails be dead and still be in their shells? The ones I took out yesterday had left their shells, but some of the trochus today have not moved from their spots and are still inside the shell.

Squatch XXL

I had an issue identical. Switched to LED, and that happened. I added 4 turbos, 1 large hermit and a lawnmower blenny. I could have used 1-2 turbos and the blenny only, all he does is eat algae. I brought him rocks from another tank just to keep him busy. 4-5 days later my entire tank was clean spotless. I highly advise a lawnmower.

bap819

I had an issue identical. Switched to LED, and that happened. I added 4 turbos, 1 large hermit and a lawnmower blenny. I could have used 1-2 turbos and the blenny only, all he does is eat algae. I brought him rocks from another tank just to keep him busy. 4-5 days later my entire tank was clean spotless. I highly advise a lawnmower.
We have two LFS here, the one doesn't get them so I still need to call the second and see if they might.