SW VS. FW Fish

Most Aggressive Fish SW or FW?

• Total voters
Ok I just had to ask to see what everyone thinks. So Pound For Pound what do you think is the most aggressive and bad tempered fish SW or FW Fish? Also you have to give the name of the fish that led you to your decision don’t just vote fresh or salt post the fish also! Now I am not talking about just any fish here (so dont say great white or something....LOL) I mean fish that would be able to be successfully kept and thrive in the home aquarium of 240 gallons or less.

Now that being said and since I have not been on the salt side long I am going to have to vote freshwater and say Parachromis dovii aka the Wolf Cichlid. I have seen one EXTREMELY Bad tempered pair of Dovii that my friend owns and they will absolutely Destroy ANYTHING that is put into their respective glass box!

Let the Voting Begin!!!! :clink:

DaveK

I'd have to say SW. The fish I was thinking of is an adult undulated trigger, Balistapus undulatus. They eat everything in site, and kill just about anything you try to keep with them.

Basile

Sw i would say not too many sharks and the like in the great lakes lol.

Nothing to threaten your life anyway.:swmfish: :sinking:

OOOPs just saw the No reference to shark thing.....well i still say sw ; garibaldi are vicious, territorial even go after divers much bigger than themselves.

Witfull

Channa micropeltes AKA giant snakehead

Snakehead_1251_87.jpg

Ng and Lim (1990) referred to this species as the “most ravenous” of snakeheads, and they, Mohsin and Ambak (1983), and Roberts (1989) noted that it is known to kill more fishes than it consumes in its natural habitat. Ng and Lim (1990) described the enlarged canine teeth of C. micropeltes as being knifelike, “with two cutting edges in crosssection,” the edges arranged perpendicular to the body axis. This allows shearing of prey.

Channa micropeltes

Basile

Channa micropeltes AKA giant snakehead

Snakehead_1251_87.jpg

Channa micropeltes

Great fish and i'm sure i wouldn't like his bite, like the man said: i quote ;

Now I am not talking about just any fish here (so dont say great white or something....LOL)
I mean fish that would be able to be successfully kept and thrive in the home aquarium of 240 gallons or less.

Sorry didn't mean to be picky LOL

Witfull

this fish is commonly sold under the name red snakehead at a size of 1-3". they are very common aquarium species, that when they get to big, people dump into local waters. found as far north as maryland and delaware and are wreaking havoc on indiginous species. there is a bounty on them in a few states, and some have poisoned waterways in an attemt to irradicate this species.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Yellow tailed damsel! Little Petie my YTD fended off an angler for 4 months before it starved to death earning his place in my reef :D
Outsideandaquarium059.jpg

And no one messes with his corner!
Outsideandaquarium084.jpg

Basile

this fish is commonly sold under the name red snakehead at a size of 1-3". they are very common aquarium species, that when they get to big, people dump into local waters. found as far north as maryland and delaware and are wreaking havoc on indiginous species. there is a bounty on them in a few states, and some have poisoned waterways in an attemt to irradicate this species.

Wow , thats a nasty piece of fish. Maybe my Garibaldi is not so tuff after all LOL.

Awesome I like it so far! Looks like I am out numbered on my freshwater vote LOL but keep the votes and fish behind the vote coming!

salt water for sure, barracuda's will attack divers!

Just a friendly reminder. Remember 240 Gallons or Less. I think a baracuda might be a bit much for a 240 gallon tank LOL!

ReefLady

Staff member
Thinking back to the days when we had a predatory/aggressive tank, the Queen Trigger was hands-down the most aggressive fish I have ever seen.

The Lyretail Dottyback (Pseudochromis steenei) is incredibly aggressive.

If you mean pure aggressiveness (vs ability to inflict damage), I'd have to vote for either the maroon clown or the spotted damsel. There was a large maroon clown at a local LFS that, if you put your hand near the top of the tank, it would literally come shooting out of the water trying to bite you. The owner had scars from the thing attacking him when he cleaned the inside glass.

If you mean pure aggressiveness (vs ability to inflict damage)

Good call ReefLady. That is exactly what I was think of when I posted! Although the abily to inflict damage sure does help out the fishs case mentioned...LOL. This is awesome so far! Keep the votes and fish coming.

golf8hdcp

sw for sure Queen trigger , Undulated trigger, Passer angel
thats my thought... btw great website and forums just found you today.

Love it :golf:

prow

i think in general SW fish are more aggressive so i voted SW. but i have to say the meanest and most aggressive fish i have even seen in action is a FW fish, that would be the red devil (Amphilophus Labiatus).

kyle209

i have an oscar in my freshwater tank an he is pretty mean he eats all the babys in attacks the cichlid when they get closes an it attacks me sometimes so i think fw