Sump Platform for Skimmer

asamel

I need to raise my protein skimmer above the water line on my skimmer. I've heard of using egg crate and PVC. I'd most like to use the egg crate alone. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to fit it together? Can I use "multi purpose ties" - those plastic things that cinch down and lock that you might use for wires and such? Think they are saltwater safe?

Anyone have pictures of what they have fashioned?

Thanks in advance!

Bruce

ReefLady

Staff member
That sounds potentially flimsy... how big is the skimmer?

I had a plexiglass stand made by home depot (be nice to them LOL). They cut it and glued it of IIRC I just bought the supplies. Was pretty sturdy

Frankie

RS STAFF
I agree with Travis on it being flimsy. Is this sump dry right now? You could also get some acrylic and glue a stand into it. Or you can use a food safe container from Walmart or some such. Drill some large holes into it so it doesn't hamper flow.

BarbMazz

I up-ended a plastic food safe basket. The basket holes allow flow through, and the skimmer sits on the flat basket bottom. Works great and it was only $3.00 at Lowe's.

Scouter Steve

I have 6-7 1 inch pvc pipes about 5 inches long standing on end with egg crate laying on top of that. Not tied or bolted just stacked. The egg crate does fit from side to side though.