String algea?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Looks more like sponge growth from the pictures to me. :ponder2:
Doesn't look like anything real scary, something interesting to watch.

I see some pesky Vermetid Snails. I hate them in my tank.
I've never figured out how to keep them under control. :rocket:

Snelly40

hate these guys... bad for coral and bad cuz they cover algea... i used to trace their webs and superglue their hole so they die.. good luck

NickF

Thanks all. I didn't realise you could get sponges like that, but after your help I found out it's possibly some form of Leucosolenia sponge.
The Vermetids are a pain, I have used aiptasia x on them but they just turn up somewhere else, I've got them on most of my rocks. I used to get stressed about all the unwanted stuff (gha,gba,vermetids etc) in my tank but there's always something so I TRY not to let it bother me too much and I do enjoy all the diversity, good and not so good.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks all. I didn't realise you could get sponges like that, but after your help I found out it's possibly some form of Leucosolenia sponge.
The Vermetids are a pain, I have used aiptasia x on them but they just turn up somewhere else, I've got them on most of my rocks. I used to get stressed about all the unwanted stuff (gha,gba,vermetids etc) in my tank but there's always something so I TRY not to let it bother me too much and I do enjoy all the diversity, good and not so good.
That's about what we have to do.
I've found that some of the bad stuff really isn't THAT BAD and in time it will run it's course and not take over. Still it's a worry that it could take over.
You are so right in saying "there's always something" at least it's been true for my tank.
I could sure do without GBA, verminted snails, & Asterina Stars :rocket:
They are my currant issues. :mad:

melvis

Have taken a similar view Nick, I've got some Vermetid snails too and often debate with myself over whether to glue them shut or just leave them be and admire the diversity. Can I be arsed? - that's the question I usually ask and the answer so far is always 'nope' lol.

Although watching one of my only two zoas close up after being covered by a string of mucus has prompted me to possibly rethink, especially when I hope to be getting more soon.

Love the tank btw, slowly following suit in some areas.

Likewise on the odd spot of GBA Diana, I've left that up until now....praying that it doesn't bite me in the arse at some point lol.