Steam Punk Lamp

Paul B

Thanks Dave. I have to go there anyway tomorrow because we are going to out kids house to see the Grand Kids. We go every couple of weeks and I really hate Manhattan. :crying:

With no traffic, like 2 am I could get there in 20 minutes. Of course that never happens

Paul B

All my Steampunk pieces sold today to an art gallery in Manhattan except for two fish that I wanted to keep for myself. I am very happy that I don't have to move them to my new home and I can start building new ones as now I have an outlet and the gallery will take whatever I make. A couple of pieces almost sold as I was bringing them into the gallery as two people wanted them even before they priced them so I am happier than my wildest dreams. Well, maybe not my wildest dreams as that would need a flounder, bowling pin, left rear tire from a 1957 Studebaker and a piece of meat loaf from Lady GaGa's dress. :rolleyes:

Here is my wife with one of my pieces on the counter in the Gallery. She is my spokesmodel. :D

DaveK

Your a known artist now. The next group you make should even go for more.

They are unique. Perhaps your family members might want some.

Paul B

I am still trying to grow a pony tail. Some of my family members do want some, but they will have to eat cake as they are al going to a gallery. Especially now that I am such a famous artist. :D

Paul B

My Daughter bought me a Beret for Christmas. :confused:

I almost finished the 3 lights for over the Island in my new Island kitchen. These are wine barrel hoop lights.
This is one of them I built for a few bucks.

This is one that sells for $120.00
I will start on my wine barrel hoop dining room light.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

What color? Did you have one when you served?

United States Army berets now use the following distinctive colors:

US Army
Color
Wearer
Rifle green Special Forces qualified soldiers assigned to U.S. Army Special Operations Command (USASOC) units
Tan Soldiers assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment and Ranger Training Brigade
Maroon Soldiers assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division, 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team, 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), and non-SF qualified soldier attached to USASOC units
Khaki Soldiers assigned one of the Security Force Assistance Brigades
Black Worn by all soldiers with Army Service Uniform as standard headgear. The patrol cap is the standard headgear with utility uniforms such as the ACUs; however, the black beret may be authorized with utility uniforms at commander's discretion.[31]
Special Forces, Ranger, and Airborne unit berets sport distinctive organizational flashes. All other units use a standard pale blue flash bordered with 13 white stars. Officers wear their rank insignia within the flash, while enlisted ranks wear their distinctive unit insignia.

DaveK

I almost finished the 3 lights for over the Island in my new Island kitchen. These are wine barrel hoop lights.
This is one of them I built for a few bucks.
... (image removed to save space)

This is one that sells for $120.00
I will start on my wine barrel hoop dining room light.
... (image removed to save space)

The beret is something else you will not be able to get out of. (grin)

I actually like your wine barrel hoop light a bit better. I think it has cleaner looks at the top, and the spacing is more even as it spirals down.

Paul B

Glen, we didn't have beret's at that time, only special forces wore them. We had jungle boonie hats mostly for the sun and of course steel helmets. I spent the year in the jungle and I never came out for a year so a beret would have rotted off of me. :cool:
My Daughter gave me a bright red one, not something I would have worn in Viet NAM.

Dave, the 3 I built are almost finished. I just want to clean them up slightly and hit them with a little clear coat as they are galvanizes and will collect dust. I also will install a rod to hold them 3' off the ceiling, that wire is temporary. I will also need more of a floodlight as that bulb is an Edison bulb and although very cool, it won't light the Island in the kitchen

Most of the time we walked around like this because it was very hot and rained most of the time. We also didn't have electricity, plumbing, water, roofs, walls, roads, beds, tents, underwear, clean clothes or anything else but ammo, and you can't use that for underwear. It chaffs :eek:

The troops today dress much better than we did. Here we are shoveling dirt off an 8" gun that was blown over during a battle I was in. WE weren't big on haircuts because there was no place to get one. We washed our clothes when it rained and got "new" used clothes when it fell off of us.

Here is that LZ from a helocopter. I built 14 such LZs and lived on them for a year

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers for sharing pics Paul makes one appreciate all the more... those who served.

When I read
We also didn't have electricity, plumbing, water, roofs, walls, roads, beds, tents, underwear, clean clothes or anything else but ammo, and you can't use that for underwear. It chaffs

Makes me think of all the crooks behind bars, with 3 hot meals, a day TVs, hot showers, weight rooms, cards and chess games, basketball and baseball , recreation rooms, heated and cooled cells, etc... No wonder the recidivism rate is so high. They need to have it as "good" as our troops and maybe they would not mind going back so frequently.

From the National Institute of Justice
five years of release, about three-quarters (76.6 percent) of released prisoners were rearrested.

Paul B

Glen, thats why I believe in Capital punishment for any crime that hurts anyone or steals from anyone after the third offense. If the lawyers complain, sent them out to someplace where they can experience combat. :guns:
I am not very politically correct, but I have common sense. If you don't want to die, don't hurt anyone, it is simple and effective. :D

They can use the extra spaces in the prisons to raise Bangai Cardinals. :celebrate:

Paul B

I am working on 3 projects at once, which is a mistake. I have two lamps and a SteamPunk Airship that I am kind of excited about because I never built one before.
That phone box with the brass bells will be a lamp. I ordered the ear piece and when you lift the ear piece, the light will come on. The crank on the right will dim it. I have not decided what to do with the other vintage box yet.

DaveK

Looks like a few more interesting projects. Are you going to be able to keep doing this once you move? That's one downside I find with condo living. No real nice workshop space, unless you want to give up a bedroom.

Paul B

Dave the reason we picked this particular Condo is because I have a workshop on the ground floor that is about 18' X 20'. Probably 3 times bigger than my shop here. I also have a garage that is 18' wide so I will also have a huge workbench there and plenty of room for my car.
There is also a living space somewhere but I don't care about that. :D

DaveK

In a very early post, a reference was made to 20000 Leagues Under the Sea. What you created could almost be considered a submarine.