Starving Mandarin Goby!!!!

My mandarin in my home tank is getting extremely skinny. I mean the dude is near death according to his looks. So, I just went to inverts.com and ordered two 4ounce bottles of Seapods Copepods. What do you guys think of this stuff? Let me know, I sure hope it does the trick. Tanner

MK1

What do you have in the tank with him. How large of a tank? How much LR. Wrasses will eat the food very quickly. I have 2 mandarin in a 60 gal high with my sea horses. I take live brine supplement them with dt's for 1-2 days, then add some selcon, put them "alive" in the frig...for 12-24 hrs, strain them and feed them to the mandarin...lots of work...but mine are fat and happy. MK

NaH2O

Contributing Member
BoomerD linked to OceanPods.com - Adelaide Rhodes is great and really knows her stuff. I referred someone else to them that also had a starving mandarin. The pods she received helped out tremendously for her mandarin.

Good luck - and let us know how it goes!

nickt

I've had mine for many years, I think it's more in the set up, I have a 3-4 inch sand bed with about 200lbs of live rock. His size has doubled since I got him. You can try the pods, but in the long run, he will be happier with the sand and rock. Good luck.

That's cool guys! I appreciate everyone's info. My home tank is a 120 custom with around 120 pounds of live rock and about a 2 inch sandbed. In this week's order though, I ordered a few things for myself. They include a 40 lb bag of the Bahama? live sand, I just ordered those copepods last night and in about two weeks, I will be placing around 40 more pounds of live rock in my tank. You know guys, this could be the reason that my scooter blenny recently disappeared. I sure hope those copepods get here in time! There are quite a bit of copepods in the tank now. I see them occassionally. This tank has been going for a year and a half now. Hopefully these copepods will give it the boost in natural foods I need. Thanks to everyone! Tanner

nigle

Oi!

They will except frozen 'meaty' foods if they are willing, it might be a better solution than pods-on-line.

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

forestal

Marc's diner idea is very cool...i have always wanted one of these guys...but have not wanted to tempt fate...

gussy

Yes, www.oceanpods.com is the best!

The fish that I want the most is the Mandarin, but I held off on it as the tank has to big enough and mature enough as it will NEVER live on what you feed alone. Unforturnately they go for $12 in SF...low enough that a lot of new aquarist have it.

Guys I have been trying Marc's Mandarin Diner and I have yet to see the mandarin go inside the glass. Hopefully he will go inside soon.