Some Duluth News.

EdgeKrusher

Just found this intersting. This is my hometown news paper. I found one line particularly humorous.

"While a filter, a heater and an air pump may be all that's needed for a freshwater aquarium, a 20-gallon or larger reef aquarium requires a system that includes two holding tanks, two pumps, water testers, a heater and lights." ..... That's it, man we all must be doing something wrong.

Saltwater aquariums come alive in hobbyists' homes

I wonder if Boomer knows Jim Grassinger, I'm tempted to drive up to Duluth to check this out.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
I loved that little blurb, too. I guess that shows the writer doesn't have the foggiest idea about marine aquariums. Someone was probably listing off the equipment that is beneficial to the hobby (i.e. skimmers, MH lighting, powerheads, etc, etc, etc) and she sat there thinking....Ok...that must be a pump of some kind, and oh! heaters...ok got that..... test kits, ok got that...what is metal halide and vho? Oooohhh....lights...ok..check. There! Saltwater hobby is easy!

nigle

Oi!

Tell me about my 1.3 gal Nano [that is now at the office where I work][oddly enough much to the delight of the people at the office] meeting the requirements in that artical:

1. No lights
2. 1.3 gal
3. bubble coral
4. sally lightfoot crab
5. 2 porciline craps
6. red legged hermit
7. big feather duster
8. pom pom crab
9. 3 narssius snails [sp]
10 orange turbo snail
11. nano filter [half the size of a penguin mini]

and it's be up and running since May 1.

It's still a reef tank, yes?

I have noticed that without any direct light you don't get any algae. There is NOTHING on the walls at all. So much for technology, HA!

Cheers!
nigle
!~!

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I wonder if Boomer knows Jim Grassinger, I'm tempted to drive up to Duluth to check this out.

No but he started a reef club. You can found out about it on RC. Just type in Duluth in the search engine. One of his pals, Joe, from Soup town (both are) PMed me to invite me to their second meeting, two months ago, Im still waitng :D I guess he didn't like my reply to some of his questions :rolleyes: It sure is funny how people up here ask me to come some where or meet them some place or I do and then never show up or cancel out :confused:

Their is a new "reef store" in soup town, haven't been their but Joe works their and at GLA

When I read this

Jim Engberg, manager of World of Fish in Hermantown, has seen the hobby take off in recent years, partly driven by its beauty and the popularity of the 2003 animated Disney film, "Finding Nemo."

I fell out of my chair and hit my head I was laughing so hard.

Last edited:

EdgeKrusher

LOL, yeah and a ton of dead Clowns later it's still going strong. I need to get up there sometime, I used to live there during college, man it must be nice up there right now.