slow growth withmy corals

saltfishlover

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well i just looked a few pics from years ago. i realized that my coral growth is not that fast. I have talked to othersand we both have pulsing xenia. his grows about twice the rate of mine. I checked trates, trites, amonia and all low-0. calcium is at 450 and alk is 12. any ideas? I have a 72 gal bowfront now with a sump. it runs a prisim skimmer with 2x250 MH bulbs and 4x 65W actinic PC. runs between 6-8 hours depnding on alge growth. i do 5-10 percent wwater change weekly. should i add supplemnts.. thats the one thing i try to avoid.:stars:

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Check your phosphates, they inhibit calcification in corals. Also, test kits do not test for the different kinds of phosphate. A test may read zero but phos. are still present. Are you running PhosBan or Rowaphos?

Warnberg

What bulbs are you running for the 2x250 MH bulbs? Also what are you using for top off water?

Try 10K mh bulbs for growth.

Dragon Wrasse

What bulbs are you running for the 2x250 MH bulbs? Also what are you using for top off water?

Try 10K mh bulbs for growth.

I use 10k MH, CA is 420, and I add a couple drops of Lugol's iodine every month, I have great Xenia growth and cup coral growth all my SPS seem to be doing well even a couple pieces that I fraged for a friend and still have in my tank.......I have 10k PC's (65W x 2) in my Refugium and my caulerpa algae is going crazy....I have been selling Xenia and caulerpa (brillo pad, grape and coin) to my LFS or trading.....check your iodine. :smirk:

Dragon Wrasse

Well here is a post I stole :wit: from Reefs. org, hope they don't mind but this poped up on a google search :contract: I thought it might contain some useful tools to store away in our tool boxes of knowlege.....here it goes, sorry for the length.....:bugout:

Today we have William Horst talking about Tips and Tricks for Growing Corals. I will now pass it on to Bill....
Hello my name is William Horst. I am here to discuss coral growth in reef aquariums. I will be discussing my personal findings in this chat to help others decipher what is truth and what is fiction. There are a couple of factors that can increase/decrease coral growth in our Reef Aquariums. These Factors are:

Lighting
Trace Elements

Water Quality

Feeding

Lighting is a very important factor. Depending on the organism you are dealing with, lighting needs will vary. I personally use Metal Halides on my Reef Tank with good success. With my past interview with Ron Hunsicker, he explained that he uses Flouresant and VHO instead of Metal Halide. He has seen corals loose colors under Metal Halide. When these corals were switched over to a NO/VHO setup the colors returned after a period of time.

Trace Elements is a very debatable topic. I found that the best methods that have worked me are:

Loguls Iodine
Thiel Vital Gold

Strontium

Kalkwasser

The key is small daily doses of the above trace elements. When dosed in small amounts, this gives the corals time to uptake the trace elements. Ron Hunsicker uses Thiel KSM, which I will be switching to instead of the concentrated strontium that I currently use.

Water Quality is one of the most important factors. It is important to use RO/DI water for all water changes and top off water. There has all ways been a controversy on how often to do a water change. Most people gauge their tank by how often they must perform a water change. This is not a wise idea. After speaking with Ron Hunsicker he explained that he performs a weekly water change of 10%. This has proven to give the best results.

Feeding your corals is very important for coral growth. I have seen tremendous results when my corals have been fed. In this hobby alot of people do not feed their corals. I feel that this is one of the most overlooked areas in our hobby.

There is full article on Ron Hunsicker and Ron's Saltwater Heaven in the November issue "The Wave". This is a monthly Newsletter from the Eastern PA Reef Club. You can view the Newsletter at http://www.netpets.org/~whorst

This chat was meant to be shorter to give people time to ask questions. So go ahead and ask away!

Do you feed your SPS corals?
I feed all of the corals in my tank that accept food. I only have 1 SPS, Pavona and it does accept food.

What is the difference in growth rates between MH and VHO for both soft and SPS?
I can only personally state what I have seen from MH. There needs to be controlled tests in order for a definate answer on that question. In this hobby we need more control testing.

How big is that Huge Leather coral he has? (Ron H I assume)
A picture can be seen on the EPARC Web page. It is 33" across. It is trully amazing!

What types of soft corals except food?
I have seen most soft corals accept food. The key here is to use VERY fine food. Most corals if not all will accept this food.

How do you feed SPS corals?
I use a very fine mixture and use an eye dropper and spot feed all corals with the pumps off.

What does one feed corals, how often and by what methods?
I personally use a recipe that Dr Sanjay Joshi Developed. You can view the recipe on the EPARC November Newsletter http://www.netpets.org/~whorst It cost about $1.50 to make the Food. Ron hunsicker also uses this recipe.

Background: This mixture includes: Shrimp,Scallops,Squid,Nori blended together to form this Mixture. I feed the Corals the same time I feed my Fish. I feed the corals with an eye dropper.

Is there a difference in growth rates with Nitrates <10ppm and >10ppm.
I have not seen a difference. My tank runs at 6 PPM normally of Nitrates and my corals grow at a good rate. I have seen tanks that have 0ppm NO3 that are growing less.

I currently use VHO 4 bulbs for a 75 gal. combination of Atinic and 50/50. Corals are turning from white to a light brown. Is this normal?
I would say this is not normal. Your lighting should be good enough. I do not know what kinds of corals you keep. But I would be happy to answer somethign that specific via Email.

What chemical filtration do you suggest? Ron use?
I use no Chemical Filtration in my Tank. Ron uses Chemi-pure in his tanks. I have used Chemi-pure in the past with good results.

What type of fine food do you use to feed corals with small polyps?
I feed the same food to all of my corals. that is why this food recipe is so great! For only $1.50 or less you can feed most corals and the fish. It surpasses any Store bought food IMHO.

Would you please discuss your dosage of Lugols and how often you dose?
I have changed my dosing schedule of lugols. The dosage was originally once per week at 1 drop per 25 gallons. I now use a diluted solution of lugols: 2 Tsps dosed per day of a mixture of Lugols and RO water. This works alot better, because there is less shock to the corals.

What is photo period for your tank?
My tank gets natural sunlight lit by 3 windows. My normal Photo period (by MH Lights) 1PM-9PM This si less then most because I use some Natural Sunlight.

Given proper lighting and water chemistry do most LPS or SPS corals need to be fed?
You will hear most people say No. Ask yourself this: Do you want to enchance coral growth?? If the answer is yes, then I would indeed feed the corals with this food recipe.

Assuming sufficient skimming, will feeding harm the water quality?/Does this feeding cause havick with the water chemistry?
I have not seen any negative effects from feeding the corals. You must have scavengers and proper skimming.

In some places reefs are affected by algal overgrowth, how do you control algal growth on aquarium corals?
2 Things: Tangs, and Scavengers (IE: Snails,Hermits,Star Fish)

Do light levels and water temperature have as much affect on coral growth as does feeding?
There is much debate currently about temperature. I chose to use 78 degrees F. This is a modest temperature IMHO. I would not recomend anythign over 81 Degrees F. Light levals shoudl not cause problems when you think about where you are placing the corals a head of time.

Can it be assumed that NO3 at certain levels are benefical to growth?
I have seen no side effects as my tank runs at 6 ppm Nitrate on a usual day. There are certain organisims that do take in Nitrates, such as clams. Moderation is the Key. With proper water changes, keeping Nitrates in moderation should not be a problem.

For a propagation tank would a 24 hour photoperiod be benefical or detrimental?
Try to mimic the Natural Coral Reefs. I would not recomend a Photoperiod of 24 Hours. Albert Informed me that Dana Riddle uses 14 hours of Photo period.

Can you clarify your Lugols comment.
To Clarify: I take 14 Tsps of RO/DI water and 2 drops of Lugols Iodine. This is then put in a sealed container which I dose 2 tsps of this solution per day on a 55 gallon reef Tank. If you have a larger tank you must change this formula slightly.

Does Lugols have a shelf life?
As far as I know Lugols must be stored in a dark place under modertae temperatures to ensure shelf life.

Since dosing Lugols I do test Iodine levels. What is Bill's dosing of liquid gold?
Liquid Gold has worked good for me using 2 Tsps per day, One in the morning and one at night, on my 55 gallon reef. I have seen better Corraline growth and greater expansion of corals since using Vital Gold.

Do you dose Kalkwasser or use a Calcium Reactor?
I believe strongly in Kalkwasser. I have no problems keeping my calcium levals at 450 or higher. With just using Kalkwasser.

Which Iodine test kit do you use?
I use the Seachem test kit, because it was gift (christams last year). It is harder to use. I have heard good things about the Salifert Iodine Test kit.

If lugol's isin't dosed, can you recommend another was of adding iodine into the tank (like seachem, kent...)
I have used Kent Iodine in the past and have seen Brown algae because of it. (Ron has also expressed the same thing). When switching to Lugols the Brown Algae went away.

What about SeaChem additives?
I have not used Seachem additives personally. Ron Hunsicker told me that he has tested most products and have found the Thiel line to be the best and that is why he uses it.

Wasn't vital gold bought out by coral life? I can't find vital gold around here.
I personnaly order my Vital Gold from TAD. I have seen what you are reffering to.

1 more thing.
This food recipe DOES work and it is the best I have seen. If you need more information please let me know.

Well, that is it for today, I would like to thank William for a wonderful Q and A session

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Nice find Dragon! Very helpful, I have saved it to my favorites for future reference. Thanks!

bluespotjawfish

Very informative article. The link for the food didn't work for me though. I bought some small xenias in December, both have grown to more than 4 times their size in that time. They are doing great under my VHO! I did notice a difference between the two when one was higher in my tank than the other though. Both are now in the top half of the tank and equally happy. I have found I always need to supplement Lugol's when I have xenia's (they usually even tell me which day I need to do it by how they act). I may have gotten the growth that I have because I am also doing WCs 2 times a week as well (recently cycled, still working on the nitrates). I judge the health of my xenia by their pulsing, not by growth, because I have found that they go through periods where they grow more than others.

sihaya

I agree with the articles/posts suggesting feeding. I actually think most aquarists under-feed their corals.