Skimmer Question

Whacked

you are going to be limited unless you find something used.

That prism makes a good door stop.
Some like Aqua C remora, some think they are junk.
Octopus seems to be liked and they make a good HOB for the price your looking at.
CPR Backpak seems to be a hit/miss altho the 2 chamber version does well.
Tunze is another liked skimmer.
Many think the Odyssea is junk, but I like mine.

Regardless which one you buy, new or used, they go thru a break-in period.
Running the skimmer in a vinegar solution can help reduce that time. Some break-in periods is short some can take a week or 2.
When you make adjustments, do so gradually and wait a few hours between adjustments. This allows the skimmer to settle into the new setting. Also, do not make a adjustment then go to sleep/work. Do so and dont be surprised if it overflows.
Also get a GFCI. Electricity aint no joke and you will have a lot of it around a lot of water. You can get a plug-in GFCI adapter at Lowes (or similar) for under $20

Gina

RS STAFF
IMO your not really going to find a very good skimmer for under a $100.
Unless like mentioned above, you find a used one. Have you tried looking on e-bay for a used one or put a notice here in our dry goods for sale or trade section.
Unless you can find a used one, I would save up a little more money in order to get a skimmer you would be happy with.
When we first started out we had a Seaclone which worked fair but we saved up an bought an ASM GX1 and what a difference it was.

If your a good DIY person you may want to try and make one. I'm sure you can find some plans for them by doing a google search.

GLOCKMOM

I purchased a red sea prizm, and unloaded that piece to some poor soul on ebay. It was absolutely worthless!

I then bought an aqua-c and absolutely LOVE IT!!