Skimmer maintenance

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Well since my wife has been under bed rest for the last couple of months I have neglected my tank even my posting time here at RS has been affected. I noticed that my skimmer effluent has been drastically reduced, as a matter of fact I couldn't even see into the skimmer body because of the accumulation of precipitate :lol: So I decided to let the skimmer/with pump run in a solution of hot water and vinegar for a few hours and voilà !

This is some very nasty smelling skimmate removed in 4 days. So moral of the story clean your equipment regularly especially if your adding a large quantity of cal/alk/kalk to the tank, your equipment will work much better :smck:

Attachments

• 178_7881.JPG
    178_7881.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 32
  • 178_7883.JPG
    178_7883.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 178_7884.JPG
    178_7884.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 32

ReefGuy69

Very nice cheeks. Looks yummie. Im gonna hijack your thread though. maybe you can answer it. When adjusting the air intak how do i differ between a wet skim and a dry skim. I have it about 50% of the way open for air and its a wet skim. i dont know if i need to open it more for the dry skim, or close it more and let in less air for a dry skim. any thoughts?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
yeah Robert, but where else ya gonna get guacamole like that? nice cup o muck btw. I do hope your wife's bed rest is for a good cause and please send my regards.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
When adjusting the air intak how do i differ between a wet skim and a dry skim. I have it about 50% of the way open for air and its a wet skim. i dont know if i need to open it more for the dry skim, or close it more and let in less air for a dry skim. any thoughts?

The difference between the skimmate is quite noticeable with the wet skim you won't get that dark/thick foam. By adjusting the water level in the skimmer and increasing the air you should notice the difference.

yeah Robert, but where else ya gonna get guacamole like that?

ROTFLOL :lol:

I do hope your wife's bed rest is for a good cause and please send my regards.

Thanks Sasquatch and it will be over in 3 weeks with the birth of my boy:clink:

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
AhHA!! you stud monkey! I had a feeling it was a good thing, Congratulations!!! and what a perfect excuse for a new tank, in the boys name of coarse lol

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
AhHA!! you stud monkey! I had a feeling it was a good thing, Congratulations!!! and what a perfect excuse for a new tank, in the boys name of coarse lol

I don't think I'd see my boy grow up if my wife found out about this "upgrade" :lol:

Thank you Kelli and Steve :)

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Congrats Robert! I see you are geting ready for the diaper changes with that skimmate!:lol:

cracker

Congrats Robert! I see you are geting ready for the diaper changes with that skimmate!:lol:
I never looked at it that way! Cleaning out the skimmer cup is about as close as Iv'e gotten to a dirty diaper! I can't get that nasty of skimmate in such a short period of time. I'll clean it out again & keep working on the adjust.