Six line wrasse and pygmy angel- love at first sight...

intricateart

Hello, we are new to the forum. We have 150 gallon reef tank with 2 firefish, 2 blue mandarins, 2 snapping shrimp, all breeding pairs. In addition we have a spotted goby, a baby flounder, countless porcelin crabs, tiny hermits (local florida breed) a pink knobby cucumber, several local starfish of 3 varieties, 4 local gobies, glass shrimp (another local species) sea squirts, oysters, clams, various polyps, honestly I have lost track of all of it with our diving. Anyhow, we recently got a six line wrasse and a pygmy angel. They were from different tanks at the same store, and we hoped they would behave together since they both stick to the rocks. Inexplicably, they are inseperable, always swimming together, often touching sides and always keeping within about 6 inches of eachother. It is the strangest thing, and certainly unexpected. Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior from these fish? I always heard that six line wrasse can be on the mean side if you aren't lucky and indifferent to tank mates if you are. If these two were the same species I would say their behavior suggests breeding. There has never been a drop of aggression from either. It's weird. Nice to meet everyone and looking forward to your feedback!

Todd & Amanda

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary! You're tank sounds very interesting. Get 5 posts and you can add some photos of it for us. We love to see each other's tanks. Very cool that your angel and wrasse hang out together. I have a clown who is always trying to snuggle up to my tailspot blenny in my nanon tank. My tailspot doesn't seem to be interested though. It's very cute to watch, though. Every time I try to catch the action on my phone, it stops of course.

intricateart

Snuggle is a good word to describe it! I forgot to mention we have a 55 gallon refugium with mangrove growing abundantly.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Todd & Amanda :wave:
:welcomera Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!
I would love to see pictures of your tank too. I have a dwarf Cherub Angel and I have been wondering if I could get a SixLine. Still not sure I will, I'm afraid the SixLine will turn aggressive over time. Get those 5 posts in & SHOW US YOUR TANK :D

intricateart

Thank you all!! I will post pics of my tank soon, but my oysters bred tonight, and it is, well, impressive in quantity lol. As soon as it clears up I will get pics. The first chamber of the refugium is a gross foamy mess. I swear the one big male released for 5 straight minutes. At least I have the unique information of what gender some of them are though. I'm sure the mandarins will thoroughly enjoy the pre-shell growth period. We get so many local copepods that I can't imagine them having MORE to eat! The mandarins do the breed dance every night although they only release a couple times a week. We are so spoiled living on the gulf.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Hi Todd & Amanda,

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

ReefApprentice

Welcome to RS a wonder saltwater/freshwater forum!!! I think your tanks sounds very different with the fish stocking as it seems almost unique to the tank.I would love pictures of the baby flounder. Sounds like you collect from Florida?Cool

intricateart

Yeah we collect out of the gulf, lots of neet stuff. The only fish we take are gobies and the little flounder, which was too cute to resist and volunteered by showing up in my net after sweeping some grass. We have found local corals, although the hard coral didn't make it (algae issue at the time, now resolved). We have local squirts, some very awesome grass, bivalves of all sorts, anemones, crabs, hermits, ceriths, 3 fighting conch, unidentified algae eating snails (tiny), fan worms and tube worms, starfish (3 kinds) snapping shrimp, glass shrimp... i think thats it for the local stuff. We used to have blennies were too aggressive, same with the puffer so we released them. We tried burrfish but they died, and we had a baby permit which we raised to about 1 1/2 inches and released him. I once saw an inch long baraccuda but did NOT take him lol. We had pipe fish and still might but they are so small and stick to the grass, so who knows. We had worm eels a long time ago but never saw them again (they stay in the sand)...hmmmm.... and of course despite how awesome all of that is, the endless supply of copecods is probably the best feature. The mandarins certainly think so anyway lol.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
You are the envy of most of us here....that just sounds AMAZING! Please take & share some of your scenery with us when you have time :D You make me SO READY for a white sandy beach vacation near a good snorkeling reef. (But that's not in the near future, so POST PICTURES ;) ) ....thanks for the dreamy post!