Silly question about salt

nstiesi

No matter what I do, I cannot get all of my salt to dissolve. I am using instant ocean, and there is ALWAYS a deposit of salt on the bottom of my 5g mix buckets. The salinity is even a bit low. The temp in the bucket should be about equal to the ambient temp here in south FLA, somewhere between 80-90. I keep the bucket outdoors, but not in the sun. I have no full time powerhead in the bucket, but I shake and stir the thing a few times every day, and it has been mixing for over a week.

Any thoughts? And I used to have this problem when I did use powerheads in the bucket, so I don't think that is the real problem.

nstiesi

I use RO/DI. Like I said, I tried 24 hour powerheads in the past, and it just made the salt at the bottom collect in a nice pile in the center. Perhaps new salt is a good answer. I guess I was mostly curious if anyone had this problem with IO in particular.

lcstorc

Not at all sure it would make a difference but do you add the salt before the water? I have always added the salt to the water and never had a mixing problem.

Scouter Steve

Add salt just a little at a time. I mix 30 gallons at a time amd only add like 2 cups per hour. Sometimes if I rush it I do get some settled out particles. I think if you dump it all in it gets concentrated locally and will form some precipitate.

BEELZEBOB

i dump 1 cup of reef crystals into a 2 gallon bucket, add 2 gallons of RO/DI and presto. 24 hrs later im ready to go. no "salt piles"

ahh the wonders of a nano....

nstiesi

Well, I think I am in agreement with those who suggested that it may be a speed issue. I needed to adjust the salinity in the bucket this afternoon, so I did a slow sprinkle of salt until it was dialed in. Even with the precipitate at the bottom, the new salt dissolved before it was even half way deep in the bucket.