Sick clown - suggestions?

bluespotjawfish

This guy has been in my QT for a while now. He had stringy poop (can see it in the one photo) and a small spot on his side. Now there is a big cottony glob on his face too. At first I was thinking parasite, but now I'm thinking it might be a fungus. I scraped off what I could today, dabbed the areas with iodine, and dipped him with Formalin 3. While he was in the dip, I emptied and completely dried the QT tank, and then refilled it.

Previously I treated him with Metronidazole and Praziquantel, followed by Maracyn 2. The spot and stringy poop didn't go away, but he seems to eat better and is acting more like a clownfish. The spot on his face has only been there a few days. His slime coat seems good, I added some Prime to the new water today though.

What am I missing?

Attachments

• P1050969-clown-sm.JPG
    P1050969-clown-sm.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 54
  • P1050964-clown-sm.JPG
    P1050964-clown-sm.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 51
  • P1050968-clown.JPG
    P1050968-clown.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 52

bluespotjawfish

Maybe, but I thought they died pretty quick from that. Slime coat seems fine too. Formalin doesn't seem to be working, but I don't know how soon you see results with it.

leebca

The greatest possibilities are:
1. Internal worm infection;
2. Secondary bacterial infection;
3. Brooklynellosis; and
4. A "fake" fungal infection

Don't misunderstand me -- it could be all or any combo of these.

First, if the fish is eating (you implied it but didn't say specifically) treat again with praziquantel. You say did already, but I don't know exactly what you did or what product you used. This post covers that, but I have not put it here in this forum. No one seemed to need it: De-Worming and Fishes with Intestinal Problems. The treatment is repeated once and if the excrement has not turned 'normal' then switch to (or start with) a treatment containing three chemicals for internal parasites.

One such product name is: Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food. This is made by Jungle. The active ingredients in this food are levamisole (a stimulant for the fish immune system), Metrodinazole, and Praziquantel. This particular formula will kill a much broader spectrum of intestinal organisms, then just the meds you say you've used so far.

If the intestinal problem is bacterial oriented, the Maracyn Two for Saltwater fish treatment should work. But, I am unsure how you applied it. Both the Maracyn and food treatment can be done at the same time. The Maracyn treatment would have been to dose twice that which is recommended on the product.

Lastly, if it is a true fungal infection, it would be probably best to put down the fish. Fungal infections are disastrous and very contagious. Fortunately, they really aren't that frequent. Other cottony conditions include viral infections and a kind of 'fake' fungal infection. You can wipe it off and then apply betadiene to the area. This disinfectant is used in fish surgery to not only prevent infections but to stop fungal infections from getting a hold.

Then turn to fish nutrition. The best foods with greens for this omnivore is necessary. More reading in the stickies here in Reef Sanctuary on choosing proper foods AND another sticky on choosing the optimal food form.

Regarding brook, there is a chance it has contracted this, but take care of the above first would be the way I would recommend. Brook can and does kill quickly when the fish is weak, but can lingers with a healthy, strong fish. The fish is worn down so I would not leap to the decision it is this disease.

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Karma to you for taking such good care of that little guy...
hug.gif

Good luck Lorraine...

bluespotjawfish

JKF - I haven't had karma in so long I forgot what it was! Thanks!

Lee - Thanks for the link and helping me narrow this down. Maybe I just wasn't aggressive enough. I don't have the pellet food, but I do have General Cure (metronidazole and praziquantel) that I mix into Prime Reef and Focus. It's kinda hard to get little guys to take this stuff so I will do another water treatment too.

Last edited: