Should I put my Flame Angel with my Racoon Butterfly?

cracker

I'm going the the lfs today for a test kit I'll be sure to see if the pearl scale is still there &to see how it's looking. I will snag the fish if it looks ok & eats .

SPR

I didn’t really want to, but my LFS said they thought the chance of survival was higher if I had two because they get more comfortable in their environment and eat easier if they have a friend.

I don’t know if that’s true or BS. But, they talked me into it.
Lol!!!

I bet they really had to talk you into buying 2 more beautiful fish!

Are you sure you haven’t invented that story to tell your wife ?lol

Actually I need to remember that line.......

cracker

Ok so today turned into "take Mom shopping" day. I did manage to make the lfs. I didn't see he has 2 ! One looked real good been there over a week. I'm going back tomorrow . If it eats I'm buying this gorgeous fish . All ready setting up the 20 long for feeding & observation.
Pat, did You have any issues getting yours to eat? what did You feed right off?
Wow this thread got a little off topic ! LOL

Pat24601

Ok so today turned into "take Mom shopping" day. I did manage to make the lfs. I didn't see he has 2 ! One looked real good been there over a week. I'm going back tomorrow . If it eats I'm buying this gorgeous fish . All ready setting up the 20 long for feeding & observation.
Pat, did You have any issues getting yours to eat? what did You feed right off?
Wow this thread got a little off topic ! LOL

My Pearscale I had no problems getting to eat. He ate everything including Formula 2 flakes right away.

The Spotbands were a different story. When they first got to my LFS they weren’t eating at all. I waited about a week and a half until my LFS had them eating frozen mysis. I think having the LFS get them to eat the frozen was critical. They probably would have died if I had brought them home right away.

Then, while in my observation tank, they would only eat the frozen mysis. I couldn’t get them to eat anything else...even brine, which is weird.

However, once they got out of my observation tank with my other fish they ate everything almost immediately. Flakes, frozen, whatever they will eat it. I guess they needed to see other fish eating it to realize it was food? I dunno.

Now they are big fat pigs and want me to feed them constantly, but that’s fine. ;)

Pat24601

I forgot to mention they are extremely active fish. Swimming around the tank all the time, but not in a crazed way, just casual. So, not only are they pretty, but they bring a lot of activity to the tank and show great!

I love my tank!!!

Last edited:

cracker

Thanks ! Iv'e already lost one of each. The fish is in a 20 long & eating a little. looks really good now that I can get a close look. Also I need to figure out how to post a pic! I saw a post by Nano, I really need to check that out. Again thanks for the info & allowing me to hijack this thread !:clink:

p.s. this fish looks awesome !

Reactions: SPR

cracker

well I messed up & now a decision to make. I had a Cardinal fish in one of the 20 longs . I had both Hob filters on this tank to keep the bacteria going. I setup a 2nd tank getting ready for the ButterFly. I put one of these filters on this new tank. In goes the butterfly. so the next day I go to put the cardinal in the display & it's tail was gone! Just bones sticking out. I netted the fish for a closer look & saw the damage & put it right back in. It promptly died . So now ,whatever the Cardinal had is in the filter I used with the ButterFly ! I was advised on another forum to treat with antibiotics . But I don't know if it will destroy the fish's immunity to future exposure to some other bacteria. The fish is eating very well & looks good. Do I put it in the display now in hope of stopping anymore exposure? Or treat with Kanaplex for 10 days ? Is the fish healthy enough now to beat back this stuff whatever it is? I'm all full of indecision !
Thanks again Pat for the thread Hi jack Hope it's ok.

OH & thanks Nano ! I'll look into i tsoon. I kinda followed the instruction about 1/2 way thru & something drew me away .

Last edited:

Pat24601

well I messed up & now a decision to make. I had a Cardinal fish in one of the 20 longs . I had both Hob filters on this tank to keep the bacteria going. I setup a 2nd tank getting ready for the ButterFly. I put one of these filters on this new tank. In goes the butterfly. so the next day I go to put the cardinal in the display & it's tail was gone! Just bones sticking out. I netted the fish for a closer look & saw the damage & put it right back in. It promptly died . So now ,whatever the Cardinal had is in the filter I used with the ButterFly ! I was advised on another forum to treat with antibiotics . But I don't know if it will destroy the fish's immunity to future exposure to some other bacteria. The fish is eating very well & looks good. Do I put it in the display now in hope of stopping anymore exposure? Or treat with Kanaplex for 10 days ? Is the fish healthy enough now to beat back this stuff whatever it is? I'm all full of indecision !
Thanks again Pat for the thread Hi jack Hope it's ok.

OH & thanks Nano ! I'll look into i tsoon. I kinda followed the instruction about 1/2 way thru & something drew me away .

Wow. That’s a tough one. Definitely a gray area.

I think I’d just do nothing unless I see something wrong, but I wouldn’t say you are doing the wrong thing if you treat with antibiotic.

I just worry about doing more harm than good with medicines, but who knows. It could go either way.

Hope it goes well. I tell ya, if it’s not one thing it’s another.

Paul B

I would leave him alone and go out to dinner and have a nice glass of Merlot. Antibiotics are not a real good choice for a fish unless it is obviousely croaking anyway. He may die, but he probably would with antibiotics anyway.

And while I am on here. Throw out those flakes. They are not a good food for anything except worms. :eek:

cracker

sorry or the late response. Ya ,the cardinal croaked before I could treat & so did the cross hatch ! I emptied & cleaned the QT tank real good . Same with all filters. I soaked the filter sponges in diluted bleach & left out in the sun for days. Didn't mean to but forgot about it ! I have new sponges & a couple of floss pads soaking in the sump . I don't intend on any additions of fish at this time. So I'm ready for a restart when the time comes .

Very nice, I always wanted to try a spotband and other butterfly fish (ie Lemon Butterflyfish), but with all the inverts I have (hermit crabs, snails, cleaner shrimp) and the Frogspawn and Hammer frag that I have it simply isn't possible. I will be attempting a coral beauty dwarf angel in a few days so we will see how that goes.

Pat24601

Very nice, I always wanted to try a spotband and other butterfly fish (ie Lemon Butterflyfish), but with all the inverts I have (hermit crabs, snails, cleaner shrimp) and the Frogspawn and Hammer frag that I have it simply isn't possible. I will be attempting a coral beauty dwarf angel in a few days so we will see how that goes.

Thanks! Yes, my tank is definitely not coral safe. :)