Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

I’m still in a dilemma about the minor leak in the S650

Ive applied CT1 sealant along the seal about 4 times, and every time it’s fine for a few days, and then a tiny streak/drip appears down the glass on the front left hand side. Only minor and probably causes about 1/2 teaspoon of water on the floor. So a minor leak.

Every time I’ve sealed it, the water seems to find its way to the end of the seal and comes down there………

I am in a real dilemma, each evening I have the 2 tanks and it’s magical, and I can’t decide wether to just leave it because it’s very minor (at the moment), buy a new custom build tank to replace it, or just move the fish into the large system and shut it down.

Most of the fish are large now especially the emperor, so they would like it In there.

My only hesitation on a new tank, It would be a smaller version of the large system, is we now go away more often, sometimes for 3 weeks or so (Spain) with the dog, and I don’t know if I can be bothered setting another one up and then the stress of leaving them and worrying…..

With some modifications to the large system sump and pipe work, I could just create a single system but with 2 displays. I looked at this last year, linking the current 2 together, but the S650 pipe work (Red Sea’s) was not exactly ideal and there were risks modifying it, so I decided to leave it alone.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
If it were me, I don’t think I could get comfortable with the leak being present. I like the idea of a common sump/system though as it is much easier to maintain for your vacations.

What are the challenges to combine it? I have a waterbox and I had to convert out of their proprietary stuff but once I did, things were so much easier and I did a big, common sump with options for potential upgrades.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

If it were me, I don’t think I could get comfortable with the leak being present. I like the idea of a common sump/system though as it is much easier to maintain for your vacations.

What are the challenges to combine it? I have a waterbox and I had to convert out of their proprietary stuff but once I did, things were so much easier and I did a big, common sump with options for potential upgrades.
The leak is only very minor, like something appears every 2-3 days like just a tiny drip. Just waiting to see if my latest attempt has stopped it, but I do hear you.

I already have the equipment including additional pumps and pipe work made up for a 2 display system because I was going to join these two tanks together last year.

If I do this now, it would be with a new display tank, probably around 1000 litres, and the challenge would be the sump size in the current 2000 system.

In the event of power failure, if I lower the general sump water height, it might just hold the run off from both tanks, but it would be very tight, so I think to be safe it would mean an additional ‘sump’ somewhere else which is the challenge of how to do that easily and by using gravity rather than pumping water around which could of course fail.

But the other thought, because of travelling etc., is to just shut it down and move all the fish over.

In reality the rockwork needs re designing now because many of the corals have grown out at the top and are shadowing below so that’s on the cards anyway.

Im sort of in the thought pattern of do I really want more work, but of course the reward is looking at beautiful coral reefs of an evening…….hence my dilemma…..

SPR

Gorgeous! So you have room in there to collapse the other tank to it?
Thank you.

Yes it could easily absorb all the fish without any issues, there’s plenty of room in there.

I wouldn’t bother moving corals as most of the ones in the large system are the same and it’s pretty full of coral these days.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Seems like that’s the logical move at this time. Maybe get the leaking tank resealed?

Reactions: SPR

SPR

Seems like that’s the logical move at this time. Maybe get the leaking tank resealed?
I’m counting the days and currently no drip…….. will keep an eye on it and maybe another layer of sealant just in case…..

Nobbygas

Hiya mucker ! Just reading your thread. So, the S650 looks as though it's reaching the end? I'm getting the itch to get another tank. I'm now firmly settled back in the UK. Due to financial commitments etc I'm looking at the new Max Nano G2XL. I have a perfect spot for it in the kitchen/diner. It's obviously not as spectacular as the old S-650, but I think I could still make it look very nice to satisfy my fish and coral cravings.