Shallow Rimless Build

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hello everyone,
Since I shut my reef down a few months ago a lot of you are probably wondering what I have been doing other then editing your posts ;)
Other then trying to survive in this terrible economy and doing things with my wife and child I have been learning to make and play bamboo flutes :D If you are interested you can check out Erik. My biggest influence: Erik the Flute Maker - Selling Flutes, Bamboo flutes, Oriental Flute
I am getting quite good at making and tuning the Japanese Shakuhachi. Playing it is getting better also ;)
Lee my daughter has taken up the guitar and I am having a lot of fun teaching her how to play what I know.
Also I have been putting a lot of thought into a new system. Not to sure of where it is going right now but I have drawn up the design and have pretty much everything I need to get it going.
This will not be a BigAl slow build ( ;)) but I am hoping to have it up and running by the summer ( June).
Here are the drawings I have made in honor of renaissance glorieuse since this is what we get mostly from Paul (PemFish) :D
The tank I have already built and will post pictures later. It is a 61 gallon shallow rimless tank I built for frags a while back:
Shallowcomplete.png

The stand will be made out of Brazilian Cherry and the system will be of course a zeovit system. After having a zeo tank I really came to understand what an ideal sump for this system would be.
sumpfor61shallow.png

sumpfor61shallow1.png

sumpfor61shallow2.png

sumpfor61shallow3.png

I have all the acrylic needed to build the sump and have already started to make my cuts.
There will be no fish room with this build. It's going to be an all in one system with MH's chillers and all the bells and whistles. It will also be a peninsula.
Wish me luck!

Tru2nr

:bow: wow thats all i can say sounds and looks like it is going to be beautiful i can't wait to see the progress on this build and trust me i will be waiting for updates :coffee2:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
LOL! Slow build? "Whatchoo talking about Willis?"

Wow! This is going to be SWEET! I am a "Wood" fan and this being out of some of that "saved" Brazilian Cherry is going to be freaking SWEET!!

I'm curios about the sump. I'm subscribing so I can watch this puppy come together :)

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks everyone :)
I'll be sure to post lots of pictures as I go. Any suggestions or questions are always welcome.
What do you want to know about the sump Allen?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I am curious to see it "In Action". That's very interesting and I just wanna see it period :D

Frankie

RS STAFF
I prefer nice myself :D
Here are some shots of the tank when I built it. Some of you have seen it but it would be good to have these here for reference.
c15f4b69.jpg

c4befa96.jpg

dd34d2b3.jpg

308b1505.jpg

9986d771.jpg

002-1.jpg

005-2.jpg

006-2.jpg

007.jpg
008-2.jpg

004-4.jpg
001-6.jpg

002-8.jpg

029-3.jpg

And that's it. I originally built it for a frag tank but I think it's going to make an interesting shallow reef DT also.
I'll take some pictures as I build the sump so you all can see how that happens also soon.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Wow that is going to be an impessive build! Keeping an eye on this one :)

Eric

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thanks guys!
I am looking forward to starting the sump tomorrow. Once that is done I will begin on the stand.
Also I will be building a new skimmer for this tank since the one I have is way to big for such a small volume of water. I'll most likely be building a smaller version of the Beckett skimmer in my sig. or a copy of the Bubble King.
I will be using the calcium reactor I made last year:
000_2447_editedMedium.jpg

000_2441_editedSmall.jpg

And the zeovit reactor I purchased also:
Lift_magnetic_1L.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Frankie I have always liked this tank. To be honest I've been watching/waiting to see if you ever decided to sell it I was going to be "on it like White on Rice". Dibbs if you do ever decide you want to upgrade :)

Also what are you wanting ($$) for your "too big" skimmer?

PEMfish

Sorry I havent yer posted here.

I was wondering what you going to come up with next.
I really like the stand design. I was thinking of doing something like that in the way of a suspended hood. I was thinking something wall mounted about 2.5" off the top of the tank for mine. And that reactor you built to awesome. totally flawless.

Are you going to use a cherry veneer ply for the hood and back part? Or will those be solid boards? If solid then I would recomend a inlay or recess in the hood. Trim up agents the wall would be nice too, also would help with noise.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hey BigAl, I am looking to get $800 for the skimmer and $200 for the Marlin Pump. $1000.00 and it's yours. To buy it retail online would go over 2k.

Good to see you Paul! :)
All the trim will be solid Brazilian Cherry and the panels in the doors and such will be 1/4" BC plywood.
Good eye, the canopy I have not yet finish designing but will be solid with ply just like the doors. I will post some updated drawings over the weekend.
Noise? My systems don't make no damn noise! :D
Tonight I will be cutting the acrylic for the sump and begin the build. After that I will be making the skimmer. Once the skimmer is completed I will start the wood work.
Stay tuned!

Hey BigAl, I am looking to get $800 for the skimmer and $200 for the Marlin Pump. $1000.00 and it's yours. To buy it retail online would go over 2k.

I wish I had that kind of tank budget. :D

My dream tank is a shallow one like this and seeing it coming to life, even though it isn't mine, is awesome!