SFXER02(Tony)setting up 65g progression

sfxer02

Well it all must go sigh!!!!!!

Ok I am going to make a little progression thread, I am a noob to setting up saltwater so all opinions and tips are welcome. It is a 65g, I plan on it being a reef so here it goes

Here is a pic of my tak and stand, I just hung the hood over the weekend. It is a 36'' Hamilton 175w 10,000k MH/2x96w actinic PC's combo hood.
1081645663img_0137.jpg

I just drilled my holes for my closed loop, and sump return boy it was fun!! I used a dremel, dremel bits 7103 for making the hole and 7134 for cutting out the hole. Lots of water and patience!!
1081817260drmel.jpg

1081817260hole_semi.jpg

1081817259cutout.jpg

1081817260hole_semi.jpg

1081817259bulkhead.jpg

Here is the finished project minus one bulkhead cause marine depot messed up my order and didn't send all three oh well !
1081817259completed.jpg

Finally here is some base rock I got from www.hirocks.com about 35 lbs, very porous and the one piece is hollow so I am gonna knock out one side of it and make a cave out of it.
1081817271rock.jpg

Well thats it for now as I get more and set up more I will post pics of my progress, remember all opinions and tip ot help is appreciated.

Thanks for looking

Tony

Last edited:

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Awesome, Tony! Congrats on drilling your tank. So far - looks good. You'll like having your lights hung the way you have them. It will make acclimating corals easier....you can raise and lower your lights. Also, if your tank is going to be open on top - you may want to consider buying a piece of egg-crate if you have a fish that wants to carpet surf. What are you planning on using for pumps and skimmer? Are you going to have a substraight?

This is awesome - I love to watch tanks from the beginning! It will be fun for you too....look back as you gain experience, and see how you and your tank have matured!

addict

Lookin Good Tony! :clink:
Those bulkhead holes came out great for being freeformed by a paranoid guy... ;)
More pix! More pix! :D

sfxer02

Nah20- Yeah I plan on running it with out the top, just haven't got around to buying the egg crate yet. Hopefully it doesn't make my tank look ugly!!

Dennis7- No I didn't use a guide just good ol eye balls, I just cut a little smaller then I should have then shaved off the rest for a tight fit. The fist hole took about an hour cause I didn't know what to expect so I went very slow, the last two holes I did in a half hour a piece. I was confident then !!

Gina- Thank you, yes I have an Amiracle mudd filter sump/refugium on the way should be here any day.

Reefer Addict- Thanks brotha, I will have many pics to come as I get more stuff in the mail.

TommyP- Thanks man, the dremel is the best tool invented very versatile.

Kind of at a stand still cause no new goodies have arrived yet. Still waiting on my Urchin-pro, mudd filter, and last bulkhead. Once I get that heading up to Greenville to visit Brian and get some Live rock from his mammoth of a tank.

Thanks again guys/girls keep the comments coming!!

Tony

wooddood

the wood dude
great job on the holes, your braver then i am lol. i see your mag pump and titanium heater. thats the same brand heater i have and it works great. lookin forward to more progression pics though so good luck it's lookin good buddy.

Tosh_Auer

Very nice job with the dremel. You've got more guts then me when it comes to playing with glass. Oh and im guessing you like pepsi?

sfxer02

Tosh- Yeah I love Pepsi! Thanks for the comments. Well all my stuff didn't arrive yesterday like it was supposed to. So still awaiting mudd filter,skimmer, and 3rd bulkhead as soon as I get that I will have more pic for you guys!

Hey Tosh I didn't scare you away last night in the chat room when you asked what I did in Iraq and i said shoot people, did I? I didn't mean it like that. Not sure if I shot anyone but I had to shoot back so a possabality I geuss!

Anyways Thanks everyone

Tony

EdgeKrusher

Looking good! Can't wait to see you finish this tank. It's inspiring me to get mine going. I gotta give you karma for getting those holes cut! :thumbup:

sfxer02

Edgecrusher- Thanks for the karma brotha! I am glad I can inspire you being the noob that I am

Thanks
Tony

TDEVIL

very nice

looks like a lot of planning went into this, kudos for that, the planning is the most important part

cant wait for your and the tanks progression, great job ;)

Jay

sfxer02

Well I finally received my Urchin Pro with Maxi-jet 1200 and accesories. I hate talking bad about people but www.cheapcorals.com is not a place to go to order stuff. Took them forever never replied to my emails. And I am still waiting on my Amiracle mudd filter but once I get that I will be setting it up

Thanks for looking!

1082760181urchin.jpg

TomV

Cheapcorals was one of the places I was looking at. Thanks for the heads up, Marine. :)

sfxer02

Tom- Yeah for sure man do not go there! I thought I was ripped off at first cause there site was down for over a month they didn't reply to my emails. And they wouldn't reply to my messages I left them on there phone! And it was over a month before I recieved my skimmer and I am still waiting on my mudd filter!

Good luck and for sure find somewhere else to buy from!

Tony

sfxer02

Alright I received my 3rd bulkhead so I painted the back of the tank and installed the bulkheads here ya go!

Still waiting on my Mudd filter then I will fully set it up!

Thanks for looking!

Here it is all papered up for paint!
1082830241tank.jpg

Here it all painted with bulkheads installed. The white stuff is dried up glass/water from cutting, it is in between the glass and support! Have to get it out somehow
1082830242tank1.jpg

Here is the back of it with all bulkheads installed, you can see the paint isn't all the way dried also my painting skills aren't that great but oh well it is the back you won't be able to see it from the front!
1082830242tank2.jpg