Seeking info on LongTentacle anemones

cracker

Hello, My neighbor is slowly losing interest in his salt tanks. There is a small cube & a 75 that is "full" of Kenya tree. Water parameters are off the chart on nutrients. salinity last I checked was 1.20 etc.
Anyway he is slowly giving his corals to me . I have 2 nice euphylia form him. Recently, gave me a green bubble coral that I was sure was a goner. After a month it's over 90% back to looking healthy. so the last critter he has besides a couple of fish (which I won't accept) , is a nice good size green long tentacle anem. If he does offer, I'd like to be ready. This anem will go into a 180 fo tank. I have twin 250 gyres that really blast the water around. I have 165 watt black box leds that I can adjust/ turn up to a lot of par. So far I have a pair of Maroon clowns the male is pretty small, female is big ! The anem is good size & I'm not even sure if they will get together. also a couple of Butterfly's & a Melanarus wrasse. As for Parameters, I really haven't been testing regular. So other than too much flow I think I can offer whatever it wants. Only if I could find specific info for this type. Like lighting ,where it likes to anchor, etc Any advice? Thanks !

Last edited:

cracker

I found some good info on the Wet Web
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/macrodoreensis.htm
I finally got a straight answer on if Long tentacles like sand to anchor in. Also did a par reading on these black box LED's I have. 1st test was with all lights set to lowest setting then at full. I can say there will be No prob supplying enough light. I have the sand bed required. My concern now is too much flow. These Gyres push " lot" of water around & I'm afraid to try & turn them down a little. Shoot I'm still not sure how I got them going ramping forward & back opposite of each other ! LOL:dunno:

Uncle99

LTA is quite similar to BTA however, the LTA will likely stay on the bottom.
You seem to me to have all you need to house the nem.

Nems like perfect water, nitrate less than 5ppm and phosphate virtually zero, on point to values representing NSW.

Nems love strong light and moderate flow, the tentacles moving like a nice back and forth "dance"

Many people kill their nem because they feed it too much, too often, too big. You actually don't have to feed him at all ever, but if you want, either a small fingernail size piece of shrimp, or a localized squirt of some frozen brine once a month is fine.

When introducing the nem, normal SG and temp acclimation applies, plus the following.
-stop all flows until he attaches his foot, should do this in 3-6 hours at most. Once attach restart.
-let him go where he wants, you have no control, he will to a spot with flow and lighting he likes. He may move several times, but once stopped, unless you change something he will stay put.