Sebae problems....ug

ds69

ok so I have had this sebae anemone for 2 months and it has never moved since I got it. It is pretty big when fully inflated. It is on the bottom and stays on some rocks against the sand. It is a under a 250 watt mh 14k bulb. In the past week it has released itself from its rock and floated around. All of the currents collide towards the center so it just kind of floats around in circles. He is still "sticky" to the touch and his color is fine. I put him back on his rock and he re attaches and stays there but then after a few days or even the next day he is off floating again. He has never moved in the 2months that I have had him. He eats like a pig as well. It hosts a black saddleback clown and an anemone crab. I noticed my starfish dropping its legs off....so I was guessing something must not be right in the tank so I have been testing every day. The starfish has 6 legs but not sure what kind. Its maroonish and looks similar to linckia. anyway I ran my tests everything was fine except for 20 nitrates and I think my ph is a little low....8.0 Should I raise it or just leave it ? Everything in my tank looks fine, all corals look great with the exception of a couple of zoos that have been acting funny as well. Other than that I cant find anything wrong. suggestions welcome

Thanks
Kevin

Witfull

anemones are fickle. this is what most reefers hate about them...small as it is, their brain says move and we must let them. best advice....adjust the flow so it settles where you want it, and pray thats where it wants to be. you cannot stop it. it will give you 3 responses, 1. yes, i like it here, 2. no im moving. 3. I will die.

ds69

lol I know what ya mean on that. Its just wierd because he isn't just moving. Hes floating away. I know they can move a lot and that they are tricky but I have never had one just float away. Its annoying to put him back on some rocks everyday though sometimes funny because the crab goes along for the ride and the clownfish still plays in it while its floating. Im sure they arent helping the situation at all either.

DrHank

Trates at 20 is way too high for an anem. Sebae's prefer sand to rock. Mine is about 12"+ inflated and has claimed the back left corner of the aquarium. It's through the sand and latched to the bottom of the tank. It's happy where it is and has moved only once (about 2"0) in the 18 months I've had it.

Try it on the sand along a side or in a back corner. Move the rock away and make sure that it's out of direct flow from powerheads or return. Gradually reduce nitrates with weekly 20%+ water changes. Be careful not to overfeed your tank.

ds69

Well I did do water change, I did a big one because I knew something was up. I changed 15 gallons out of 44 so about 1/3. It only dropped the trates to 15 but I thought it would have dropped more. the anemone is/was in a sand to rock spot. what was interesting today was It was floating around and I turned my lights on and within a few minutes he settled back into his old spot and attached. Im sure he will be floating again tommorow though. I am working on the nitrates. What level should they be at exactly? 0? or 5?

Thanks
Kevin

ds69

oh and should I raise my ph? or just leave it? If so how should I go about raising it. my kh was 10 I think the other day. calcium was 420

Kevin