Seachem Salt

saltfan

Anyone use it for a mixed reef tank? Using Reef Crystals now, but thinking about switching salts due to inconsistencies from box to box . Haven't heard much of anyone using Seachem salt on here, just wondering if it would be the same deal since in the same price range as Reef Crystals. With 4 tanks cant afford Salinity. And getting rid of a tank is simply not an option. :smack:

kyle4201

Love reef crystals. All I ever used, all ill ever use. What is wrong with your experience? Mine has been nothing but good.

saltfan

Alkalinity and mag. has been diff. in my last 3 200 gal boxes. This last box has an alkalinity of 12 Ca. of 375 and Mg. of 1250 box before Alk of 7 Ca. 400 and Mg of 1300. Checked each twice using salifet tests. So think Im gonna try something else when this box is gone.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Are you referring to seachem a regular salt or the "salinity" salt? I use salinity because it is dead consistent. I have an sps tank and don't trust any other salt because they are all imbalanced and having to mix then dose to adjust is aggravating.

The esv salt is good as well cause you can control the mixture as well. I pay $80 a bucket (225g) for salinity though, it isn't cheap.

DaveK

Love reef crystals. All I ever used, all ill ever use. What is wrong with your experience? Mine has been nothing but good.

My question to you is if Reef Crystals is the only salt you have ever used, how do you know that there is nothing better?

The op on this thread stated that they had "...inconsistencies from box to box...". That alone would get me to try another brand of salt.

kyle4201

My question to you is if Reef Crystals is the only salt you have ever used, how do you know that there is nothing better?

The op on this thread stated that they had "...inconsistencies from box to box...". That alone would get me to try another brand of salt.
Well, since ive never had any problems or deviations on my prams and its been 6 months, I hear others having problems with other salts, I hold firm to the truth in my experience that there is nothing better than what is working 4 me. Brand loyalty is a major factor in any business and reef crystals has mine.

what do u use dave? As opinionated and experienced as u are on here, if I ever have a problem ill probably try your salt

jvelkgrove

I've been using Reef Crystals for over a year now with no issues, I've always bought the "Bucket" This past week my LFS guy said it's cheeper to buy the 200 gal. "Box" Haven't used any from the box as of yet, I would assume that the "Bucket" and the "Box" are one in the same? I'll be checking parameters closely. So far I'm happy with Reef Crystals!

Stephane Cote

I use seachem reef salt. Not sure if its the same as above but since i switched from instant ocean ive been more constant... Could be me being a noob and just trying to get the hang of things. But same mesurements gives me the same in all my levels..

saltfan

I use seachem reef salt. Not sure if its the same as above but since i switched from instant ocean ive been more constant... Could be me being a noob and just trying to get the hang of things. But same mesurements gives me the same in all my levels..

Thanks good to know.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I see. I've never used that salt.

Let us know how it works if you go that route

dblasky

I used Reef Crystals many years back but I changed to Seachem Reef Salt for the past 6 years. it is excellent. I also tried aqua vitro when they ran out and I needed to do a quick water change and also great. to me the highest salinity is Aqua Vitro. I use less salt to reach 1.024 which is what I keep all my reef tanks. they are both very consistent. I use both alternately when they don't have Reef Salt.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I used Reef Crystals many years back but I changed to Seachem Reef Salt for the past 6 years. it is excellent. I also tried aqua vitro when they ran out and I needed to do a quick water change and also great. to me the highest salinity is Aqua Vitro. I use less salt to reach 1.024 which is what I keep all my reef tanks. they are both very consistent. I use both alternately when they don't have Reef Salt.

Very good point, I forgot to mention that (less salt needed). The buckets are 225g and I pay $85 for one.

saltfan

Well just did my water changes for the week with the last of my Reef Crystals heres how the fresh batch tested.

PH 8.01
SG 1.025
MG 1290
ALK 10
Ca. 400
nitrate 0
Po4 0
Ammonia 0
Temp 78
Pulled the trigger on the Seachem reef salt to give it a try.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Not "bad" numbers...... Neither are way off so I'd call that a success!

saltfan

No not bad, but diff. from previous 2 boxes, just lookin for more stability from box to box. Maybe im just nit picking...lol

saltfan

Well mixing up my first batch. Instructions say 1/2 cup per gallon for .021 same as RC ( but I get .025 ) with RC. A little courser than the reef crystals but seems to be mixing clear. Mixed with ro/di and 1/2 cup per gallon Will post #s tomorrow when up to temp.

DSCF5465_zps64927f0e.jpg