Saving some sps, need help

InLimbo87

Well, I finally convinced a friend of mine to sell me the last of his dying sps. He doesn't take the time needed to make sure his water quality is right, and has overstocked his tank, so they are all dying. Well, anyways, the one's that I got aren't too bad when it comes to tissue degradation, however one of them (a good sized acro colony) has tissue receding from the base, and another (i think a valida of sorts) has some receding from the tips.

My question is, would it be beneficial to cut away the dead parts at all? Or should I just put them in a good location in my tank and hope that they continue to improve? Any help from anyone experienced with rehabilitating sps' have any other good advice on how I can bring these guys back? I'll take pics in a little bit for a visual.

blue_eyes53813

I would just put them in the tank and leave them alone... Less stress is best.. Good luck... And shame on your friend,, lol

InLimbo87

Yeah it really is a shame. He knows better, too, even worked at several lfs' and is just lazy and selfish. O well, here's some pics. And of course I had to thrown in a fts. ;)

Here's a pic of the colony, really hope this one makes it. The only tissue receding is on the base.

DyingSPS017.jpg

Here's a pic of another frag from him. This is the one I'm most worried about. Has a good bit of tissue receding from tips, and now I'm noticing the base is also receding.

DyingSPS005.jpg

And this is the last one. Not really worried about this one at all, just seems to have browned out a bit.

DyingSPS008.jpg

And heres the fts...

DyingSPS016.jpg

Anyone have any ideas on the ids of these. I know the first one is acropora of some sort, but the rest i have no idea. He said it was some sort of valida. I'm really bad with identifying sps, but have actually had pretty good luck keeping them. *knock on wood.

mps9506

All you can relaly do is provide good water quality, light and wait it out. The second one looks pretty bad. The other two just keep an eye out for polyp extension, that will be a good sign. Good luck

InLimbo87

The first one is already getting good polyp extension, and the third is beginning to show signs of extension also. The second is probably a gonner the more and more I look at it. I just hope the first one makes it. After all, I did only have to pay him $20 for all of them.

InLimbo87

So it looks like I've got some finger crossing to do. Karma to whoever can correctly identify at least one of em :)

SueT

the first pic I'm not sure of but the second pic definitely looks like a tortuosa of some sort. I don't think it's a valida, the first pic. If it were me, I might try clipping off the dead end tips on the second pic. I still think it can make it. Give it good lighting{this also applys for the others} and flow and stable water params and it sure could turn around.

InLimbo87

Good news! The one from the second pic has some polyp extension today. I wasn't expecting much of a recovery from it, but we shall see. I believe that the third frag is a tri-color valida and i think your right that the other is a tort. Now, what of the first? Acropora tortuosa also?

SueT

the last pic actually looks just like my cali tort. The second pic looks just like my ORA tort. The first pic is definitely not a tortuosa. It almost looks like it may end up being a tri-color. By that I'm only going by the growth shape. When colors comes back it should be easier to tell. And thats great news about some polyp extension on the second frag.

What kind of lighting do you have them under...it's nice looking.

SueT

InLimbo, be sure to let us know how the frags and colony come along. I'm interested in seeing how they do for you.

InLimbo87

Will do. So far so good on them. I've been trying to keep everything as pristine as possible so that they can make it. No new flesh development as far as I can tell over the top of any old dead stuff but no more recession as of yet. All three are showing polyps, so I'm hoping they'll pull through.

Sue, I took your advice and clipped the ends off that tort. Seems like it didn't stress it out too much, and I've heard others say the same about it. My tank has 150w 14k HQI's.

More pictures and updates will continue, as I am uber excited to see how these guys will fare.

Snappy

Personally, I would cut an insurance frag from the healthiest area on the first one if the STN is quite prominent. Even with polyp extension you never know, sometimes they can turn RTN on you and it's gone in a matter of hours. I was coral sitting for a friend who had old tank syndrome, and waiting for his new tank, and thought about an insurance frag but didn't bother because it seemed fine, and then 2 days ago it rtn'd and by the time I fragged it was too late. That was after it was in my tank for 2 weeks and had super hairy polyp extension. Fortunately the other 4 acro's of his are fine. Anyway long story short, I'd cut a frag just in case. Looks like a nice piece so it's ok if you end up with 2.:smirk: